Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA right on this married segment rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally booked award ticket CHS-CLT-SAN-LAX-PPT with AA because that's what was available, the LAX-PPT flight being the keystone.. Now I'm seeing positioning CHS-PHL-LAX available in the same class, same date, same saver award level, etc.

AA is telling me they can't change the original flight to the alternative connections because the segments are married.

Is that right, what's the work around?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whether AA is correct depends on what the availability is. If there is not avalability based on the through journey required, then the agent is correct

For CHS-PHL-LAX - are you checking for CHS-LAX and finding the through journey available or are you checking CHS-PHL and PHL-LAX separately. It needs to be available as CHS-LAX , so checking the 2 separately may well give you incorrect information
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA sets their own married segment rules, so they can marry or un-marry any segments they want. No right or wrong.
dls25 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Originally booked award ticket CHS-CLT-SAN-LAX-PPT with AA because that's what was available, the LAX-PPT flight being the keystone.. Now I'm seeing positioning CHS-PHL-LAX available in the same class, same date, same saver award level, etc.

AA is telling me they can't change the original flight to the alternative connections because the segments are married.

Is that right, what's the work around?
HUCA, assuming the CHS-PHL-LAX is available when searching CHS-LAX as mentioned above.

These agents are taking their married segment "training" way too far and trying to implement these policies in instances where they don't apply. AA's married segments do not involve other carriers.

I had PPT-LAX-DFW-RDU booked last month with horrible connection times. A much better LAX-CLT-RDU option opened up. The LAX-CLT-RDU was available as married segments, but they had no problem keeping the 'keystone' PPT-LAX in place while changing the remaining segments to the LAX-CLT-RDU.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

This is after 3 calls. I can find and book CHS-PHL-LAX on aa.com, but the agent couldn't. First agent said the flights weren't yoked...whatever that means. Second agent said married segment. Third wanted to cancel the entire trip and rebook.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is after 3 calls. I can find and book CHS-PHL-LAX on aa.com, but the agent couldn't. First agent said the flights weren't yoked...whatever that means. Second agent said married segment. Third wanted to cancel the entire trip and rebook.
On aa.com are you putting in a simple search of origin CHS and destination LAX?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Yes, chs-lax.

Is there something or someone specific I need to ask for to agent?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, chs-lax.

Is there something or someone specific I need to ask for to agent?
No. Honestly this sounds EXACTLY like what I had to go through above.

I called, said I found a better LAX-RDU routing, but the agent could not see it. I triple checked at aa.com that it was still available, etc. while I was on the phone, but she could not see it. She put me on hold, came back and said the same thing. I said I just checked aa.com again and it's still there. She put me on hold for a second or third time, checked with the rate desk or whoever, finally came back about 5 mins later and said she was able to see it and could change my existing award.

I have no idea what they were looking at originally, or why they couldn't find something that was available clear as day at aa.com, but it worked out in the end.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

One segment in economy and agent is telling me a voluntary downgrade is a $175 fee....
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One segment in economy and agent is telling me a voluntary downgrade is a $175 fee....
That is nonsense, you have to keep HUCA unfortunately.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No. Honestly this sounds EXACTLY like what I had to go through above.

I called, said I found a better LAX-RDU routing, but the agent could not see it. I triple checked at aa.com that it was still available, etc. while I was on the phone, but she could not see it. She put me on hold, came back and said the same thing. I said I just checked aa.com again and it's still there. She put me on hold for a second or third time, checked with the rate desk or whoever, finally came back about 5 mins later and said she was able to see it and could change my existing award.

I have no idea what they were looking at originally, or why they couldn't find something that was available clear as day at aa.com, but it worked out in the end.
I’ve had the same thing happen when making changes to a simple revenue booking. AA.com clearly shows something, but agent can’t see it on their system.

But usually when I walk them through how to find it on the website, they are able to find a way to make the changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.