MCE Seats and Complimentary Alcohol

Old Sep 9, 19, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Passport Gold
MCE Seats and Complimentary Alcohol

I know that American has now started offering complimentary alcohol for Main Cabin Extra seats, which is also included as a feature when you are selecting seats. My question is, as a Gold who booked a non-MCE seat and then picks a MCE seat when Check-In opens 24 hours before the flight, am I still entitled to the complimentary alcohol? I have never had an FA tell me this when I'm ordering beverages from a MCE seat, and I'm curious whether you just order the alcoholic beverage and they do not charge you. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Answer is yes, you would be entitled to free alcohol.
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Doesn't matter how you got the seat, as long as you have a boarding pass for it, you're entitled to the free alcohol. Just ask the FA and you'll get it. If they try to charge (which shouldn't happen this far into the process), just say that you're in MCE and should get free alcohol as a benefit.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Complimentary alcoholic drinks in MCE are extensively discussed in this thread:
Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Doesn't matter how you got the seat, as long as you have a boarding pass for it, you're entitled to the free alcohol. Just ask the FA and you'll get it. If they try to charge (which shouldn't happen this far into the process), just say that you're in MCE and should get free alcohol as a benefit.
Yup. PLT and up can select it at booking and all benefits apply.
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:51 pm

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Gold
I have also occasionally seen FAs checking with people's names with what they have on their tablet/handheld to make sure you are who is supposed to be in the seat before handing out the free alcohol. As long as you have a BP with that seat assigned, you are entitled to all of the (few) perks. Enjoy!
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
I'm not a big drinker, but is the benefit one free drink in MCE or multiple? I've seen conflicting comments. Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Ent PLT
You also get the free drink with a Basic Economy ticket in MCE if you somehow end up there. I have seen a few middle seaters surprised by this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
I'm not a big drinker, but is the benefit one free drink in MCE or multiple? I've seen conflicting comments. Thanks.
The website doesn’t state any restrictions (assuming you're not intoxicated) and I've never had issues ordering seconds or thirds on longer flights. However some FA's if not most only give one mini instead of proactively offering doubles.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
... some FA's if not most only give one mini instead of proactively offering doubles.
that depends on day and time. Thursday and Friday afternoon and evening flights where we're all going home tend to get doubles without asking.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:24 am

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Gold
Agreed, they're not going to specifically come back and check on you as they would in First. You're at the mercy of the number of standard drink services. You would be able to approach and ask in the galley(s) during crew rest periods. They will give you additional drinks, provided you ask nicely, and they will likely confirm your seat number/location.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:01 am

Programs: AA Platium
Many people do not seem to realize this benefit. I use it frequently. I have never had anyone check my boarding pass, but it has always be n my assigned seat. Nice perk of my lifetime Platinum status.
Old Sep 13, 19, 6:21 am

Programs: AA GLD, IHG PLT
I'm pretty sure that half of the passengers in MCE are on Basic Economy fares that lands them in the last available seats, most of the time my neighbors in MCE have no idea the drinks are free either. I have been pretty lucky with my upgrades to first this year as a gold so I haven't had to sit in MCE that much at all.
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by MathMusic View Post
I'm pretty sure that half of the passengers in MCE are on Basic Economy fares that lands them in the last available seats, most of the time my neighbors in MCE have no idea the drinks are free either. I have been pretty lucky with my upgrades to first this year as a gold so I haven't had to sit in MCE that much at all.
Just a reminder that it does not have to be BE fares to be randomly assigned to MCE, you can also not have an assigned seat (prior to check in) as a regular coach kettle.

Search this Thread