Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Credit Card benefits for Award Travel...without having the card any longer?

Credit Card benefits for Award Travel...without having the card any longer?

Old Sep 9, 19, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Question Credit Card benefits for Award Travel...without having the card any longer?

Hi there,

Newbie to airline miles/rewards travel! I opened an AAdvantage business credit card a while back and earned enough miles for a round-trip award flight for me + 3 companions which was exciting. I booked the tickets and paid the taxes/fees with my AAdvantage Credit Card. It has been ticketed - this was months ago. Unfortunately, in the time between booking that flight and now I've had to close the card. SO the question is: Will we loose all the card benefits associated for the flight because I no longer have the card when we fly? One of the companions is convinced that we'll still receive the one free checked bag per person because I had the card when the flight was booked, but I truly just don't have any idea how any of this works. Obviously, it would be great to still receive those perks for this flight but I don't want to just assume we will because it was booked when I still had the card.

all insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Yes. You will not get the upgraded boarding nor will you get the free checked bags. The account must be opened and in good standing in order to receive the benefits.
JDiver and firemandan9 like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, US, DL, CO
Yes the benefits are lost. When you sign into your AAdvantage account, it will say if you have an AAdvantage credit card next to your mileage. If there is no card linked to your account, you will not get free checked bags on flight day.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:22 am

Don't know when your travel is, but if there's time, get a new AA credit card that has the first year fee waived. As long as the account is open at least 7 days before travel, you'll get the card benefits. (Or if any of your companions has an AA credit card linked to their AAdvantage number, then everyone on the PNR will get the benefits.)
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: AA GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ebuck View Post
Don't know when your travel is, but if there's time, get a new AA credit card that has the first year fee waived. As long as the account is open at least 7 days before travel, you'll get the card benefits. (Or if any of your companions has an AA credit card linked to their AAdvantage number, then everyone on the PNR will get the benefits.)
True, both the Barclay's and the Citi AA cards have the free bag benefits. It's definately possible to get the other card than the one you had previously.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: AA
Checked bags actually work a little bit differently. Find and print the original ticket receipt email that lists baggage allowance. It's AA policy to honor what is printed on the receipt if presented. You may luck out this way.
JDiver and dickinson like this.

Search this Thread