Travel Alert: Typhoon Faxai - Japan

Old Sep 8, 19, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold/1MM, Bonvoy Platinum
Travel Alert: Typhoon Faxai - Japan

My partner will fly to LAX-HND tomorrow 9/9.
There is a travel alert for the flight.
It says
"Your change fee may be waived if you don't change your origin or destination city."
He is waitlisted for upgrade (m/c -> b/c) by his SWU, but it looks both f/c and b/c were full booked.
Last night C space was available for LAX-NRT flight tomorrow, so I called AA to ask if he could change his flight to NRT instead of HND without change fee...
I called EXP desk twice for him, and both agents told me he couldn't change destination if he wanted to use the travel waiver, so their answer was no.
This morning C space was still available for LAX-NRT flight tomorrow, so I called EXP desk again.
This time I asked him how much it cost to change his flight. I was on hold and he tried to figured out. I think he was asking the rate desk.
Anyway he came back and told me that there was no change fee due to the travel advisory and he was able to upgrade my partner's seat.
I was so surprised.
So now I am confused. The first two agents said no and the third agent said yes.. Did my partner just have a lucky day today?
Does AA always consider HND and NRT are the same? or this was so called one time exception?

Old Sep 8, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
First rule of AA: If you don't like the answer or it seems wrong, HUCA.

I tend to defend AA more often than not, I admit. However, the apparent inconsistent training of their front line employees and the utter lack of consistency in processes and policies is beyond irritating. It's not that hard to implement a training program to make sure one's employees are on the same page.
MrJBoy likes this.

Search this Thread