Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The Problem with Champagne on the Ground is It’s Prosecco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Problem with Champagne on the Ground is It’s Prosecco

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
AA have always served cheap on the ground. In the past it was American “Champagne”, now they serve Prosecco. I understood that it was a FAA requirement that it was served in non-glass containers, but this may have changed. Certainly in London, they do not open the bars as then they would have to pay full duty and tax on the entire bar. The bar seals cannot be broken until take-off.

What I have had happen is that some of the FAs have no idea about what they are serving and just pour the pre-flight stuff regardless. “ It fizzes so what’s the difference?” I was asked by one.
JDiver and estnet like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA CK - 3MM, Bonvoy Lfe Titanium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Many premium carriers serve "substandard" bubbles for the reason mentioned above. Duty costs can be substantial. Glassware? Carrier specific. I don't know if the FAA requires that actual glassware is removed prior to gate departure (for US carriers), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.
Many but not all thank goodness. Japan Airlines is still serving Salon in First when available and is one of the best made in only the best years. You get Cristal as a backup when it is not available which is not too bad of a let down.

I haven't flow J since early this year but all PDB in First on the 77W are in glass on AA. Not sure what bubbly they serve as I avoid the alcohol on flights unless it is something as stellar as Salon.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globetrotter4$
Many but not all thank goodness. Japan Airlines is still serving Salon in First when available and is one of the best made in only the best years. You get Cristal as a backup when it is not available which is not too bad of a let down.
Yes but I’m almost certain they don’t serve the Salon on the ground. And they only cater 2 bottles per flight. But it’s definitely in glass as PDB!
Cathay does serve Krug in glass as PDB as well, same as whatever AF is rotating through.
But in J, I don’t think it’s that uncommon to be served a non-Champagne sparkling before takeoff.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by globetrotter4$
Japan Airlines is still serving Salon in First when available and is one of the best made in only the best years. You get Cristal as a backup when it is not available which is not too bad of a let down.
Unfortunately JAL is now only serving Salon on the ex-NRT/HND flights, as I learned last month when I was subjected to 13 hours of Cristal on JFK-NRT, oh the horror.

I do find it remarkable that AA has managed to serve Krug (not to mention some fantastic reds) at Flagship First Dining for nearly a year but struggles to choose even passable $10 bottles to pour in the air.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I last flew AA ex-US in 2016 and the J sparkling PDB was definitely in a glass but noticeably inferior to the inflight champagne.

Can’t believe that AA are now serving J PDBs in plastic cups. Many airlines manage glass for PE drinks on the ground.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Fonsini
cheap and nasty Prosecco
I doubt that's what the FA said, your color commentary over your preference to champagne doesn't change my opinion. Remember, downgrading it could change into eliminating it.

Besides it's business class on a US3, not first class on an ME3.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
AA does NOT always serve Prosecco on the ground on international flights. On several this year (JFK-LHR, LAX-LHR, HKG-LAX, as well as domestic transcons JFK-LAX) I have always said I will have champagne if they "have opened the good stuff". I'm usually in F but sometimes in J, there have been several occasions when the "real" stuff has been opened, including in J. Just ask. Any decent purser/FA will tell you what they are serving. The Prosecco is frankly disgusting. I cannot think of any other non-domestic carrier that would consider substituting Cava or Prosecco for champagne, except IB. Certainly NEVER the case with QR, QF, BA, EY, CX, RJ in mu experience on the ground. B6 in J does serve a range of sparkling wines on their transcons, LAX-JFK) but they are usually $20-$30 retail bottles, not the $5 swill on AA (and the rest of their wines are usually in the $25-30 range, significantly better than any wines on AA).
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ffdom
The Prosecco is frankly disgusting.
The Prosecco that AA serves may be, but not all Prosecco is. Far from it.

B6 in J does serve a range of sparkling wines on their transcons, LAX-JFK) but they are usually $20-$30 retail bottles, not the $5 swill on AA (and the rest of their wines are usually in the $25-30 range, significantly better than any wines on AA).
Price ≠ quality, flavor or desirability. People on FT swoon over even the mention of Krug; yet I don't particularly care for it because of its flavor characteristics. (Happy to go into detail by PM if anyone cares.) I much prefer pretty much anything from Veuve Clicquot. It seems to be pretty common on FT for people to assess wines by their retail cost. Makes me wonder how they'd do in a blind taste test between, say, VC LGD and Krug. While there are, of course, some oenophiles for whom this wouldn't be a challenge, I'm quite convinced that many of those here who hold themselves out to be champagne experts (read snobs) wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
I think most folks who have had Krug on CX on SQ or in AA First Dining appreciate the quality. It's my personal favorite.
For me even the much more inexpensive champagnes served on AA in transcon F or on international F/J or in the Flagship lounge are just fine - but they are infinitely superior to any Prosseco I have ever had on AA.
But of course any food and drink is a personal preference, no taste or judgement assumed. If you like it, that is great.
(But B6 J wine not only retails for 4x or 5x AA wine in J, it also testes much better IMHO).
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:58 pm

The only way to drink Prosecco is as a Bellini.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
The Prosecco is frankly disgusting.
I fly a lot of AA J flights and I’m really confused about all the Prosecco reports here. I can’t recall a single time I’ve been served actual Prosecco on the ground - it’s usually some sparkling wine from California. The Prosecco I drink and serve at home is very good.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
The only way to drink Prosecco is as a Bellini.
And according to the Harry’s Bar cookbook, Bellini has to made from peach juice that was juiced by the hands of an experienced elderly man:

Like so many things in "the good old days," making the white peach juice for Bellinis was a lengthy and tedious process. We had a man who did nothing all day but cut up and pit small white peaches and squeeze them with his hands to extract the juice. The juice and pulp were then forced through a chinois–a fine, cone-shaped sieve–to form the rose-colored elixir that is mixed with Prosecco to make Bellinis. Prosecco is the Italian version of champagne and comes from the region around Treviso. The Bellini was a seasonal drink then, available from June through September. Now we are lucky–we can get excellent frozen white peach purée from France and serve Bellinis year-round.

Never use yellow peaches to make a Bellini and never puree the peaches by machine. If you can't find the frozen puree, you'll just have to produce it the old-fashioned way.

Use a food mill or meat grinder to make the pulp and then force it through a fine sieve. If the peach purée is very tart, sweeten it with just a little sugar syrup (see sorbet recipe, page 278). Refrigerate the purée until it is very cold. Mix it with very cold, dry Prosecco in the proportion of 1 part peach puree to 3 parts wine or, for each drink, 1 ounce (30 ml) peach puree and 3 ounces (100 ml) wine. Pour the mixture into well-chilled glasses.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA CK - 3MM, Bonvoy Lfe Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes but I’m almost certain they don’t serve the Salon on the ground.
You may be right now. In 2016, I remember my wife and I starting on the Salon before take off and finishing it quickly after. Luckily, we had 4 out of 8 seats for our family and there was only one other adult in First who wasn't drinking. Don't remember if we convinced them to open it or they offered right away.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as the person serving it is calling it sparkling wine and not champagne

AA is not the only airline to have different offerings on ground where duty is due than in the air - especially with champagne
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AA100k

I fly a lot of AA J flights and I’m really confused about all the Prosecco reports here. I can’t recall a single time I’ve been served actual Prosecco on the ground - it’s usually some sparkling wine from California. The Prosecco I drink and serve at home is very good.
What do you class as "actual prosecco" as long as it is made using Prosecco grapes and is not , to best of my knowledge, a protected marque for a specific region but just a type of wine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.