Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

potential involuntary downgrade or denied boarding on Award tomorrow

potential involuntary downgrade or denied boarding on Award tomorrow

Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Even if the 767 is worse, it’s a lot better that what IB is flying Mad-DBv is my guess.

if they AA flight is full in F that’s one thing but check availability and see if you can get up front there.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by beachfan
Even if the 767 is worse, it’s a lot better that what IB is flying Mad-DBv is my guess.
Almost certainly - the MAD-DBV flight is scheduled at 2hrs 50min and operated with an A320 - being an intra Europea flight, the business class seats are the same seats as economy, just with the middle seat left vacant
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Almost certainly - the MAD-DBV flight is scheduled at 2hrs 50min and operated with an A320 - being an intra Europea flight, the business class seats are the same seats as economy, just with the middle seat left vacant
The re-route offered to the OP included downgrade to Y on AUS-PHL, which is slightly longer in Y than MAD-DBV butt MCE on AA is probably better than MAD-DBV euro-J from a seat standpoint.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How keen are you on getting to DBV on time (or close to it)?
How keen are you on playing the EC261 game to get a benefit (ff miles and or $)? Or play the game and get very little or nothing.

To me AUS-PHK-DBV would seem a half reasonable outcome (less flights and less airport transit).
Any refund of AA ff miles the Y flight?. MAD-DBV will be nothing special.
Great Circle Mapper
I don’t really want to get in early, as I am meeting someone at the airport at 2:30pm and the PHL-DBV flight arrives at 9:00am. Also, the IB J seat is much better than the AA 767 seat.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by rendezvous

I don’t really want to get in early, as I am meeting someone at the airport at 2:30pm and the PHL-DBV flight arrives at 9:00am. Also, the IB J seat is much better than the AA 767 seat.
Are you happy with the risk that you may either be involuntarily downgraded on the IB flight to Madrid or may even be denied boaridng and rebooked on another later flight? that is the risk you are taking

can you not let the other person know that you will be early and perhaps just meet that person at a hotel later
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How keen are you on getting to DBV on time (or close to it)?
How keen are you on playing the EC261 game to get a benefit (ff miles and or $)? Or play the game and get very little or nothing.

To me AUS-PHK-DBV would seem a half reasonable outcome (less flights and less airport transit).
Any refund of AA ff miles the Y flight?. MAD-DBV will be nothing special.
Great Circle Mapper
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you happy with the risk that you may either be involuntarily downgraded on the IB flight to Madrid or may even be denied boaridng and rebooked on another later flight? that is the risk you are taking

can you not let the other person know that you will be early and perhaps just meet that person at a hotel later
I’m ok with the risks as long as I’m entitled to decent compensation for the Involuntarily downgrade or denial of boarding. We’re doing an Airbnb (my first time) and my friend made the reservation. I don’t think we can check into the Airbnb until 2:00pm anyway.

Last edited by rendezvous; Sep 7, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Since you booked this on AA miles, I would consider reaching out to AA, and letting them know that IB contacted you regarding an oversell on the IB-operated overwater segment. Maybe AA can liaise with the OneWorld partner / codeshare desk and find out if the oversell is still, infact, oversold. You could also check with AA if there are any backup options ex. ORD if IB hands you a boarding pass in Y for ORD-MAD.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Since you booked this on AA miles, I would consider reaching out to AA, and letting them know that IB contacted you regarding an oversell on the IB-operated overwater segment. Maybe AA can liaise with the OneWorld partner / codeshare desk and find out if the oversell is still, infact, oversold. You could also check with AA if there are any backup options ex. ORD if IB hands you a boarding pass in Y for ORD-MAD.
If IB handed me a Y boarding pass, I would be entitled to compensation, correct? Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

If IB handed me a Y boarding pass, I would be entitled to compensation, correct? Thanks.
Yes, but why not do as suggested and call AA now to see if there's a way to avoid that vs fighting to get comp later?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, As per EC 261 2004 regulations.
From the linked IB threads above getting the compensation looks to be difficult- time consuming
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
IME, its a bit out of the ordinary for the operating carrier to call a customer directly on an award ticket (or any ticket) that was issued by another airline. The ticketing carrier usually handles all changes (even if it's the partner flight that changed, as in a schedule change). But this isn't a schedule change. AA's PNR may not look any different now than when you booked it, because this isn't a schedule change. You are still HK ("holding confirmed") in the AA system for all flights. I think reaching out to them is a good idea. IB may be trying to pawn you off early to help their own impending cluster-f*** tomorrow at the gate. Which isn't a bad idea per se, but you don't really know if what IB is telling you is the best solution. It might be for their gate agents, but not for you.
Exec_Plat and rendezvous like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:11 pm

Yes

total journey is 6,317 mi
ORD-MAD is 4,202 mi

Percentage of journey that would be downgraded is 66.5% of journey
mileage cost is 57,500
66.5% of 57,500 is 38,278 miles
reimbursement due would be 75% of this , which would be 28,679

This will mean that you have paid 28,821 miles for what was business class for 977 miles , economy for 4202 miles and economy sold as business for the rest of the journey

given that an economy award is 30,000 miles, the reimbursement due would not, imo, be a great value given its amount vs the cost of economy - would you have redeemed 30,000 miles for an economy ticket?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I received a call from AA on an ATH J award, asking me to change routing and class downgrade, I declined,

They said the call was recorded and they needed 2 seats,

Trip was fine, no problem,

First time I have ever been called, no offer was discussed, nor did I ask.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Check in as early as possible, online or (if unable) at airport?

Could you also post or PM exact flights and one of us can load out exact loading/seat maps?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Check in as early as possible, online or (if unable) at airport?

Could you also post or PM exact flights and one of us can load out exact loading/seat maps?
I checked in through the app, but it won’t allow me to secure boarding passes for the IB flights. It says I must secure those boarding passes from the operating carrier, but I will see if the agent in Austin can get them for me.

Pm sent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.