Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA twitter went above and beyond rebooking me (oneworld protection)

Old Sep 7, 19, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat

TL;DR - AA flight got delayed, which would cause me to miss my next flight on a separate QR ticket. After much effort, AA managed to rebook me on a later QR flight.

Feel free to merge this into the existing discussion on Oneworld Protection due to delays, but I feel that AA did me such a service that I absolutely need to give them a big shoutout to how far they went in fixing things.

(Disclaimed: This was *VERY* difficult and took me a huge amount of effort do do - YMMV very heavily, I effectively made about a dozen phone calls total and spoke with multiple agents)

I was booked on AA 193 (LAX-HKG) on 9/6, connecting onward to CX to Manila that was slated to arrive around noon on 9/7. I had a completely separate itinerary going from MNL to MUC booked on QR departing 6:35PM on 9/7. AA 193 got delayed and eventually the crew timed out - they rescheduled the flight to 11 hours later, which would cause me to miss my CX connection. AA rebooked me on Philippine Airlines, except that would get me in at 6:25PM and definitely not enough time to make my QR flight.

The following is a play-by-play of what happened:

3:30AM - AA 193 crew times out and I go the Admirals Club. I discussed rebooking options with the agents and got rebooked on PR 113 arriving into MNL at 6:25PM, which was a better solution than waiting on 193 to come back and connect on HKG again but still wouldn't work on me. I discussed Oneworld Protection rules across separate tickets with my QR option but neither the agent nor the supervisor said that was a thing, so I decided to drop the subject and call in to the EXP line later.
4:30AM - Arrived at the hotel. Called Amex to see how much changing my QR flight from 6:35PM to 11:40PM would cost. Agent quoted me a cost of $1400, so I decided to make some extra phone calls
5:00AM - Tweet @AA and gave them my details of the my QR itinerary. In the meantime, I'm researching other flights out of MNL to MUC and comparing costs
5:40AM - AA DMs me and tells me that my QR flight is protected and tells me to call the EXP line to change my QR booking
6:00AM - Make about 4 phone calls with 4 separate EXP agents. None of them tell me that's a thing they can do. Twitter account says it's a complicated and not done often and I might need to get a supervisor/HUCA/go to the airport.
8:00AM - Call QR directly, they tell me I'll need to pay the change fee and they can't make an exception for me
9:00AM - Go to the airport, talk to a gate agent in T4. We call QR and they tell the agent the same thing.
10:00AM - Check in with PR at TBIT. Walk through the airside connector to go to the Admirals club and talk to the agent there. Agent tells me the same thing and informs me this isn't a thing.
10:15AM - Pretty much resigned at this point and about to make the paid change, I DM AA twitter one last time (I've been in constant communication with them at this point) essentially telling them I've ran into a dead end with everything. AA twitter tells me that they're looking into it and contacting QR.
10:30AM - AA Twitter DMs me telling me they called QR and says that AA can't touch/reissue the ticket. Suggests that at this point the last possible option might be to simply show up at the Airport in MNL and explain my plight. They said they added comments to the reservation that it's due to AA's delays and that this might convince QR to simply put me on the later flight.
11:00AM - Last ditch attempt and call QR to see how they might allow AA to make changes to my QR booking. QR rep says that the ticket is 'open' and that any carrier can make changes to it. Immediately DM AA with that information and they'll see what they can do.
11:30AM - AA comes through!! AA convinced QR to move the affected flights into my AA record locator and rebooked me onto the later QR flights! What they appeared to have done was to move my outbound QR flights onto the AA itinerary, while the return QR flights remain on the QR itinerary. (Or at least, that's what it seems like happened)
Noon - I thank the twitter account profusely and board PR 113 to MNL. I am currently typing this while sitting in the MNL lounge waiting to board my new QR flight.
wrp96, MorganB, aztimm and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Glad it all worked out in the end! Seems like the twitter team came through for you. Doesn't sound like an easy process at all.
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
Good information. See thread below about lack of knowledge “AA ignores One World Protection....” in front line staff.

Last edited by boerne; Sep 7, 19 at 10:27 am Reason: Corrected title
Old Sep 7, 19, 11:46 am

Programs: AA PPro Marriott Plat
OP,

?

LAX to HKG to MNL to MUC

Are you on a mileage run?

2019 AA Domestic Upgrades: 12 out of 29

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, MSP, ORD, STL, YWG, YYZ
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
5:40AM - AA DMs me and tells me that my QR flight is protected and tells me to call the EXP line to change my QR booking
6:00AM - Make about 4 phone calls with 4 separate EXP agents. None of them tell me that's a thing they can do. Twitter account says it's a complicated and not done often and I might need to get a supervisor/HUCA/go to the airport.
...10:00AM - Check in with PR at TBIT. Walk through the airside connector to go to the Admirals club and talk to the agent there. Agent tells me the same thing and informs me this isn't a thing.
10:15AM - Pretty much resigned at this point and about to make the paid change, I DM AA twitter one last time (I've been in constant communication with them at this point) essentially telling them I've ran into a dead end with everything. AA twitter tells me that they're looking into it and contacting QR. ...

11:30AM - AA comes through!! AA convinced QR to move the affected flights into my AA record locator and rebooked me onto the later QR flights! What they appeared to have done was to move my outbound QR flights onto the AA itinerary, while the return QR flights remain on the QR itinerary. (Or at least, that's what it seems like happened)
Noon - I thank the twitter account profusely and board PR 113 to MNL. I am currently typing this while sitting in the MNL lounge waiting to board my new QR flight.
Really is a profoundly sad sate of affairs regarding this policy, wow. Glad it worked out for ya!
ashill likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Glad it worked out, but there are probably a dozen flights from HKG-MNL for $100 or less. I probably would have done that rather than spend 8 hours on this. (That said, it appears you’re on a mileage run and needed only OW carriers.)
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:31 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
You realize you are giving them a big shout-out for essentially making you jump through hoops for 8 hours? And not just any 8 hours. Literally 8 hours over the middle of the night until the next day. That would not be cause for a big shout-out, in my book.
chitink likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Really is a profoundly sad sate of affairs regarding this policy, wow. Glad it worked out for ya!
That was my reaction as well, especially as there was a public blog post that gets lots of eyeballs on this exact policy just days ago, its disappointing how poorly AA manages the training for their front line staff when it comes to their own policies.
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLL88 View Post
OP,

?

LAX to HKG to MNL to MUC

Are you on a mileage run?

2019 AA Domestic Upgrades: 12 out of 29

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, MSP, ORD, STL, YWG, YYZ
Technically this isn't a mileage run - I needed to be in MNL for work directly after Munich, and it was easier to nest my round trips ins this way. (Week 1 - fly to MNL, hop on the flight to MUC. Week 2 - come back to MNL, work there for a week, fly back to the US)
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by genotonda View Post
You realize you are giving them a big shout-out for essentially making you jump through hoops for 8 hours? And not just any 8 hours. Literally 8 hours over the middle of the night until the next day. That would not be cause for a big shout-out, in my book.
Perhaps - it was definitely aggrevating, but with how opaque the policy has become they could have just as easily have told me to pound sand. I think the fact that AA twitter was consistently friendly and helpful along the way was the biggest factor, IMO.
JonNYC, JMBResona, ashill and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

One last update - apparently my return flights on QR were cancelled because the automated system found me to no-show for the MNL-MUC flights (given what apparently AA did was to exchange the outbound flights to my AA PNR/Eticket but didn't cancel the exchanged flights on QR?)

Luckily, it seemed that the whole shebang was well-documented on the QR ticket because it took a quick call to QR to have them reinstate my return flights.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Glad it worked out, but there are probably a dozen flights from HKG-MNL for $100 or less. I probably would have done that rather than spend 8 hours on this. (That said, it appears you’re on a mileage run and needed only OW carriers.)
The problem wasn't getting to MNL. It was getting to MUC from MNL, and getting to MNL even later by connecting through HKG wasn't going to help with that.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
The problem wasn't getting to MNL. It was getting to MUC from MNL, and getting to MNL even later by connecting through HKG wasn't going to help with that.
Yep - I was stuck in LAX (not HKG), and the solution was to either:

- Get to MNL in time from LAX to make my QR flights (This was impossible given flight timings)
- Get to MNL late, but change my QR flights to a later outbound (which is what AA managed to do)
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I was also on this flight out of LAX and had a similar issue. I missed my CX ticket HKG-SIN because of the delay, it was the longest worst hassle on top of missing a whole day in SIN. Cathay wouldn't budget as it was a separate ticket and not their issues. AA said just get to hong kong and see what we can figure out, I didn't want to get to HKG and be stuck if they couldn't "figure it out" as I would rather have just cancelled the flight in that case. Thankfully a friend of a friend of a friend who works at AA helped me out and got the One World desk involved to move my Cathay flight, but many hours of stress for this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

It looks like the magical words here are to contact the Oneworld desk - either via twitter or a agent. The OW desk seems to be the place that's empowered to protect on these connecting tickets.

Search this Thread