Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What will happen? (drop ticket 1 last segment, fly ticket 2)

Old Sep 6, 19, 11:16 am
Original Poster

I have a flight that connects in PHX, carry-on luggage only. The booking I have now has me changing planes and continuing to City A. But I may not want to go to City A, but instead go to City B. I have called American and they said I have to buy a whole new ticket, change fees, etc. l If I keep the reservation to City A , but buy a ticket from PHX to City B am I going to get stopped from boarding to City B because I am booked to City A?
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:24 am

My understanding in the past was that there is a high, but not 100%, likelihood that it will get sniffed out by an automated system and voided. The interesting part, of course, being the timing of which gets voided and at what point. That being said, things may have changed, and I'm sure the experts will add in more detail here. But my first hot take is that this is not at all a good idea.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Just buy a ticket on WN from PHX to City B. You won't even have to leave airside security at PHX and if you change plans keep the no change fee travel funds for future use.
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Just buy a ticket on WN from PHX to City B. You won't even have to leave airside security at PHX and if you change plans keep the no change fee travel funds for future use.
Southwest doesn't serve City B. Only American
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bakoboy View Post
Southwest doesn't serve City B. Only American
How much did you pay for your original ticket from your starting city to city A?

How much is a brand ticket from your starting city to city B?

And finally how much is the ticket from just PHX to city B?
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bakoboy View Post
I have a flight that connects in PHX, carry-on luggage only. The booking I have now has me changing planes and continuing to City A. But I may not want to go to City A, but instead go to City B. I have called American and they said I have to buy a whole new ticket, change fees, etc. l If I keep the reservation to City A , but buy a ticket from PHX to City B am I going to get stopped from boarding to City B because I am booked to City A?
More than likely one of the trips would be cancelled because of impossible flights. The workaround would be to buy a ticket to City B but not enter your FF #. Still AA might name match. Also if the original flight is the outbound your return would be cancelled.
Old Sep 6, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
next time use a real travel agent.

They work magic. (Like going in and cancelling the PHX to City B coupon, not rebooking the ticket but just unloading you from the flight.) AA will never see it.

People that use AA as their booking agent give AA too much control. IMO
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless "City A" and "City B" are Area 51, it is a lot easier to answer these questions if you say what you mean.

But, the abstract answer is that AA's contract expressly prohibits "impossible" ticketing which this is. There is no 100% certainty, but AA uses aggressive anti-fraud software to catch this and, if caught, it will cancel either or both tickets and may or may not notify you.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not knowing the route it's hard to say what another carrier would charge to City B for a one way albeit probably with a connection. Of course then there's the risk if the OP missed that flight he'd be at the mercy of the other airline putting him on standby for a later flight. Also, even if the OP purchased another AA ticket without his FF # and slightly altering his name (for example leaving out his middle initial or putting in his full name) he'd still have the same possible issue. If his flight was late to PHX he'd be at the mercy of a GA putting him on standby for a later flight for City B.
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
or donít use your AA frequent flyer nUmber. Much less chance of finding you that way.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Exec Plat
Iíve done it a couple times not realizing there was a policy against. Usually returning from intl award trip ticketed to home BJX but in DFW I would move to a purchased flight to MIA to head direct to work. Not sure if one being award and the other being purchased mattered, doubt it. Anyways, I do remember telling agent in DFW club I was going to Miami and please off load me. They never said anything about it to me.
Old Sep 6, 19, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post

or donít use your AA frequent flyer nUmber. Much less chance of finding you that way.
This is no longer true. AA's anti-fraud software uses multiple datapoints for exactly this reason. If OP is going to be snagged, using his AA# or not won't matter.
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I said much less chance which I still feel is true. There are plenty of people with same first and last names and maybe even birthdates.
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
What's the cost to change the ticket and do this on the up and up?

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Sep 7, 19 at 3:38 pm
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Bottom line, as I see it.

AA will cancel all further segments on the first ticket, so if itís a return ticket thatís an issue.

AA might pick up the second booking and cancel as an impossible booking. We have no idea what the odds are these days, we know it can happen and can offer speculation.

The OP will have to determine change costs and level of risk the OP is willing to incur.

Search this Thread