Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What will happen? (drop ticket 1 last segment, fly ticket 2)

What will happen? (drop ticket 1 last segment, fly ticket 2)

Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Book PHX-SuperSecretCityB on a different airline and your fine. Book it on AA and there's a chance you will have one of the tickets voided.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
If PHX-AAA was the last segment, no issues not using that and you don't use it, that could be considered hidden city ticketing.

Last edited by justhere; Sep 9, 2019 at 7:14 am
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by justhere
Not that it really matters but you're already behind security. So if PHX-AAA was the last segment, no issues not using that. Just book PHX-BBB, assuming BBB is domestic, don't use your AA number, and use whatever name you want to avoid any risk of AA's software catching the issue.
As said by others its more than AA FF number they can key off of, KTN, Name, payment, address etc are all easy ways for AA to identify impossible bookings. There's a bevy of evidence that AA doesn't play when it comes to violating the T&Cs of their program, you're much better off booking on a different airline if want to do what the OP is asking about.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
And ... since this is FT, why not fly to city AAA (or is it BBB) and then get a ticket to fly to city BBB (or is it AAA). Might be cheaper overall, add a couple of segments, and EQM

Although now I'm intrigued ... what cities does AA fly to from Phoenix that aren't served by WN ...hmmm ... COS, SGU, TUS, Yuma, Flagstaff
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts advocating or discussing fraud have been deleted. From the Rules everyone agrees to in exchange for membership:

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.link to this Rule
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bakoboy
I have a flight that connects in PHX, carry-on luggage only. The booking I have now has me changing planes and continuing to City A. But I may not want to go to City A, but instead go to City B. I have called American and they said I have to buy a whole new ticket, change fees, etc. l If I keep the reservation to City A , but buy a ticket from PHX to City B am I going to get stopped from boarding to City B because I am booked to City A?
Be aware that per AA's terms and conditions, not flying as ticketed, that is to say, not taking the flight from PHX-AAA, could be considered hidden city ticketing. Unless you pay the change fee, etc, it could be considered fraud. Not sure why some posters are suggesting you do that.

AA terms and conditions
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC Plat. HHonors Diamond
I have a question along the same guidelines, but a little more complicated.

I flew ICN-DFW-TYS to make it to the Game of Thrones finale to watch with friends (wish I could have that back, wasnt worth the flight)

Naturally, I have a return ticket... now since then, my flight has been changed by AA, but not more than 1 hour. Agent said my flight could not be changed or cancelled, and I since cancelled the Citi AA Executive card it was tied to. (actually killed all AA credit cards) Ironically, I still want to go to Asia, just not ICN, and a week later than the date I projected when I booked in advance. Its the same cost just to book a new RT ticket to Southeast Asia, then it is to fly to ICN and premium econ on Cathay one way to my destination.

I am $1500 short on EQDs for Ex. Plat and every dollar matters, I already covered the 100k miles. I don't mind flying to DFW, and then travelling to another city from there, since it will be cheaper out of DFW, but Id rather not go to ICN.

Any advice or thoughts?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by greatsagex
I have a question along the same guidelines, but a little more complicated.

I flew ICN-DFW-TYS to make it to the Game of Thrones finale to watch with friends (wish I could have that back, wasnt worth the flight)

Naturally, I have a return ticket... now since then, my flight has been changed by AA, but not more than 1 hour. Agent said my flight could not be changed or cancelled, and I since cancelled the Citi AA Executive card it was tied to. (actually killed all AA credit cards) Ironically, I still want to go to Asia, just not ICN, and a week later than the date I projected when I booked in advance. Its the same cost just to book a new RT ticket to Southeast Asia, then it is to fly to ICN and premium econ on Cathay one way to my destination.

I am $1500 short on EQDs for Ex. Plat and every dollar matters, I already covered the 100k miles. I don't mind flying to DFW, and then travelling to another city from there, since it will be cheaper out of DFW, but Id rather not go to ICN.

Any advice or thoughts?
Just buy whatever new ticket you want to SE Asia. Since the dates are a week later than your existing return flight to ICN there is zero risk of overlapping bookings or anything like that.

Then, monitor your existing return flight to ICN on that day. About an hour before the first flight, pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it. If there happen to be any weather or other delays that morning then put in a refund request to AA. You will be get refunded for that portion.

If everything is running smoothly, then no harm no foul, you will not be charged a change fee or anything like that unless you try to rebook the return portion to ICN. Assuming you don't rebook it then no one will ever look at that PNR again and after a year from original ticketing date it will fall off into the abyss.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:13 pm

two step to get a refund

1. use a small schedule change to request the next later/earlier flight.

2. later, request a full refund comparing original time to current flight time, which is now over whatever relevant threshold
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by justhere
Be aware that per AA's terms and conditions, not flying as ticketed, that is to say, not taking the flight from PHX-AAA, could be considered hidden city ticketing. Unless you pay the change fee, etc, it could be considered fraud. Not sure why some posters are suggesting you do that.

AA terms and conditions
Even AA's AA-favoring one-sided terms and conditions are not going to bust you for a legitimate change in travel plans that requires flying PHX-BBB instead of PHX-AAA. I don't think hidden city gamers routinely try to cover their tracks by running up the bill with a second ticket.

Yes, one of the reservations from the same station on the same date might be canceled via an automated process. But to suggest that AA is itching for any chance to call it "fraud" is extreme.

Do people on this thread not have frequent short-notice multi-city business travel? Changes in travel plans after a trip has started?

Here's an interesting experiment.
Assume, like OP, that you have a ticket CCC-PHX-AAA:
  • Land in PHX
  • Go to Admirals Club
  • Tell agent that you need to fly PHX-BBB instead of PHX-AAA.
  • Will agent:
    • 1) Attempt to fool with/change/call tariff/reprice partially flown ticket 1 or;
    • 2) Sell you brand new ticket 2 PHX-BBB?
Pretty sure I know what will happen (well, assuming you can find an agent who can actually still do ticketing!)

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 12, 2019 at 5:38 pm Reason: hypothetical

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.