Search

Should we have to pay Expedite Fees?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:49 am
BLG
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Should we have to pay Expedite Fees?

I am Gold and my wife has no status. Last week, not wanting to use the miles in my own account, I pulled two Savers from my wife's account. I was surprised when I got the email confirmation and the price was $150 more than when I had put the tickets on hold. Initially I couldn't figure out what the $150 was so I called customer service and found out it was two $75 service charges. I pointed out that I was gold and that we shouldn't be charged because we were both on the same PNR. The rep agreed and said he'd credit the $150. It seemed like that's what had happened because the $150 did not show up on my credit card. Then yesterday I suddenly noticed the $150, billed a few days later. I called again and the rep I talked to once again agreed with me and said she'd credit it. She asked me to hold while she talked to someone else to get it done. Then when she came back she said that we did owe the money because the tickets came from a non-status account and that status benefits only applied when you were traveling (bags, seats, etc.) but did not apply a waiver of fees on tickets from a non-status account even though I am on the PNR. So, were the first two reps who agreed with me correct? Should I call again? Or was the third rep correct and we actually owe the money? AA rules sometimes make the IRS code seem relatively simple.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The third rep is correct unfortunately. All that matters is what account the miles are pulled from, not who the passengers are. If they're pulled from a no-status account, then the expedite fee is due when its due.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BLG
I am Gold and my wife has no status. Last week, not wanting to use the miles in my own account, I pulled two Savers from my wife's account. I was surprised when I got the email confirmation and the price was $150 more than when I had put the tickets on hold. Initially I couldn't figure out what the $150 was so I called customer service and found out it was two $75 service charges. I pointed out that I was gold and that we shouldn't be charged because we were both on the same PNR. The rep agreed and said he'd credit the $150. It seemed like that's what had happened because the $150 did not show up on my credit card. Then yesterday I suddenly noticed the $150, billed a few days later. I called again and the rep I talked to once again agreed with me and said she'd credit it. She asked me to hold while she talked to someone else to get it done. Then when she came back she said that we did owe the money because the tickets came from a non-status account and that status benefits only applied when you were traveling (bags, seats, etc.) but did not apply a waiver of fees on tickets from a non-status account even though I am on the PNR. So, were the first two reps who agreed with me correct? Should I call again? Or was the third rep correct and we actually owe the money? AA rules sometimes make the IRS code seem relatively simple.
The third rep was correct, you owe the money because the miles came out of a non-status account. In order to avoid the fees, the miles would have to have come out of your account.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:09 am
BLG
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by FAA1996
The third rep was correct, you owe the money because the miles came out of a non-status account. In order to avoid the fees, the miles would have to have come out of your account.
Thanks very much. I've had status forever and had completely forgotten there was an expedite fee. Oh, well, you learn something new every day. Now I can feel comfortable not having to call back a third time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.