Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Mechanic Sabotages Plane at MIA 17 Jul 2019, arrested

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Mechanic Sabotages Plane at MIA 17 Jul 2019, arrested

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Well, OK then. That obviously makes everything better.

Said no one ever.
I read somewhere that he was under financial distress because the union was pressuring him to refuse routine overtime assignments as part of their labor action. That article said he pulled this stunt to try and create some mandatory overtime for himself.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dls25
I read somewhere that he was under financial distress because the union was pressuring him to refuse routine overtime assignments as part of their labor action. That article said he pulled this stunt to try and create some mandatory overtime for himself.
Something about the incident that I hadn't realized before now: The sabotage occurred back in July, but the mechanic who allegedly did it wasn't arrested until this week. That seems scary in that presumably he continued to work on AA aircraft. I hope someone was watching him very carefully during this period.

ADDED: And it gets worse. CNN is claiming that he was previously fired from a mechanic's position at AS. They're not saying why, but they are speculating that maybe he shouldn't have passed background checks so easily after having been fired from another airline.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 7, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? I didn't say anything about climbing into the nose, just walking around the aircraft and quickly looking at its exterior to check for obvious signs of damage.
You specifically quoted:

Originally Posted by CPRich
Pilots often do a walkaround, spending 5-10 minutes looking at the wings, tires, etc., for obvious issues. They're not going inside the plane looking at every link in the data communications chain.
and replied with
AFAIK when pilots are first taught to fly small planes, they're taught/required to always do this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:50 pm

ADDED: And it gets worse. CNN is claiming that he was previously fired from a mechanic's position at AS. They're not saying why, but they are speculating that maybe he shouldn't have passed background checks so easily after having been fired from another airline.
https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...irlines-2019-9

"
  • In 2005, Alani filed an ASAP report after he entered the wrong code into a maintenance tracking database, according to documents Alaska Airlines entered as evidence. The ERC sent Alani to a "Back-To-Basics" remedial training program, the documents say.
  • Also in 2005, he forgot to check required inspection items when finishing a repair, according to the documents. The ERC closed the report without any further action.
  • In 2007, Alani made a mistake when installing an altimeter, according to the court documents of the judgement, and he submitted an ASAP report and notified the FAA of the potential safety hazard. Afterward, Alani was given an oral warning and told to attend training sessions again, according to the court documents.
  • Also in 2007, he made a mistake while installing a pitot tube, a sensor that helps determine a plane's air speed, according to documents Alaska Airlines entered as evidence. The FAA launched an investigation, while the airline gave Alani a written warning, the documents say.
  • Again in 2007, Alani made a mistake when sending a broken part — a Heads-up Guidance System (HGS) — to a mechanic base in Seattle, leading to it being installed in an in-service aircraft, according to the court documents. He received another oral warning and was told that any additional incidents could lead to his termination, the court documents say.
  • In 2008, according to additional court documents from Alaska, Alani and another employee accidentally installed the wrong battery on a plane. Alani filed another ASAP report and was told that day that he would be suspended pending an internal investigation, according to the documents. Like with the pitot-tube incident, the FAA opened its own investigation, according to the documents, and two weeks later, Alani was fired.
When he was terminated, Alaska Airlines told Alani he was being discharged because of the battery incident, the HGS mistake, and the altimeter issue, the court documents say. Alaska also alleged during the lawsuit that while the airline was investigating the battery episode, the airline found at least three occasions in which Alani was clocked in at both Alaska and his other job at American Airlines."

I don't blame AA for for its labor negotiations for this guy, but I do blame them for not finding what was apparently public information from his lawsuit against AS. Also, wouldn't English fluency be pretty critical for this particular job (and FTR, I am quite left-leaning and definitively not anti-immigration nor do I care if immigrants learn the language of their new country, this is purely a safety issue)? The Miami Herald article said he needed an interpreter in court.

I’d love to hear from airline mechanics - are these type of errors (and frequency) typical?
Gynob001 and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by princeville; Sep 7, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AA has suspended him without pay. I haven't seen any information about how recently this happened, namely after the July incident was discovered, during the investigator, or when he was arrested.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by princeville

I don't blame AA for for its labor negotiations for this guy, but I do blame them for not finding what was apparently public information from his lawsuit against AS. Also, wouldn't English fluency be pretty critical for this particular job (and FTR, I am quite left-leaning and definitively not anti-immigration nor do I care if immigrants learn the language of their new country, this is purely a safety issue)? The Miami Herald article said he needed an interpreter in court.

I love to hear from airline mechanics - are these type of errors (and frequency) typical?
I would doubt that the CBA would allow AA to discipline or terminate him based on the shoddy work he did at AS, not that I don't think that they should have been able to use that data especially since he was working for AA at the same time and its not a case of old mistakes, but I don't blame AA for not doing something they wouldn't have been legally permitted to do. The English thing for this role I'd agree should be a requirement and he's lived and worked in the US for decades - I'm betting he has a reasonable level of English proficiency and the translator thing for court is part of some defense strategy rather than need.
princeville likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
I would doubt that the CBA would allow AA to discipline or terminate him based on the shoddy work he did at AS
I don't know anything about the contract, but he did in fact lose his mechanic's certificate for 30 days. Presumably, he wouldn't be able to work as for any airline as a mechanic for those 30 days, so there's no way AA didn't know that his competency was highly questionable. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no union contract in the world says that an employee can't be disciplined (including dismissal) for basic incompetence.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
I don't know anything about the contract, but he did in fact lose his mechanic's certificate for 30 days. Presumably, he wouldn't be able to work as for any airline as a mechanic for those 30 days, so there's no way AA didn't know that his competency was highly questionable. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no union contract in the world says that an employee can't be disciplined (including dismissal) for basic incompetence.
......or for being unavailable for normal work duties for a whole month which wasn't previously scheduled for time off (vacation or whatever) and isn't related to a medical condition, etc.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lobo411
Certainly no contract says the bolded, but I'm sure they also have protections and processes where they cannot let someone go unless there's a documented set of events related to their work with AA. If he performed his duties while working at AA as described by their contract there no way there wouldn't have been a grievance filed if AA fired him for something he (allegedly) did while working for a different airline. As far as their union is concerned he didn't violate any AA rules so I cannot see how they could take action based on what happened at AS. Again, this shouldn't be the case IMO but it is what it is.

Now the loss of his certificate....that I didn't see and while sensible people would obviously agree that should have been enough to allow AA to do something, union labor laws don't have logic of common sense as core principles. While one would hope that you could use that to fire someone I'd not be the least bit surprised if that wasn't the case..
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:59 pm

Would union rules permit a mechanic to work simultaneously for both AS and AA, with both presumably being full time jobs (plus overtime) at a major airport? Pilots and FAs wouldn't be permitted to moonlight with other carriers and probably wouldn't permit these employees to have outside full time jobs elsewhere either due to fatigue issues.
princeville likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:08 pm

Would union rules permit a mechanic to work simultaneously for both AS and AA, with both presumably being full time jobs (plus overtime) at a major airport? Pilots and FAs wouldn't be permitted to moonlight with other carriers and probably wouldn't permit these employees to have outside full time jobs elsewhere either due to fatigue issues.
I don't know, and it also struck me as extremely odd that he was working for multiple companies at the same time, every employment contract I've ever had included language preventing employment elsewhere absent explicit approval. I would guess that its OK or he had approval as in the lawsuit AS called out the double clock-ins, so it does seem that at least AS was aware that he was working at both companies - though obviously they didn't expect him to be "on the clock" at both simultaneously.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:11 pm

I don't know, and it also struck me as extremely odd that he was working for multiple companies at the same time, every employment contract I've ever had included language preventing employment elsewhere absent explicit approval. I would guess that its OK or he had approval as in the lawsuit AS called out the double clock-ins, so it does seem that at least AS was aware that he was working at both companies - though obviously they didn't expect him to be "on the clock" at both simultaneously.
I would have assumed that being on the clock for AA and AS simultaneously would be a fireable offense as it would seem to be proof of outright fraud on the timesheets.
princeville likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:17 pm

I would have assumed that being on the clock for AA and AS simultaneously would be a fireable offense as it would seem to be proof of outright fraud on the timesheets.
Agree completely, that should be fireable 1000%, no idea though if it would be under their CBA. Also wonder if AS let AA know about that when they discovered it, as it seems that they found that during his lawsuit and not when it happened.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:19 pm

Agree completely, that should be fireable 1000%, no idea though if it would be under their CBA. Also wonder if AS let AA know about that when they discovered it, as it seems that they found that during his lawsuit and not when it happened.
Maybe there's a statute of limitations on cheating one's employer in the union contracts?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It's theft, sort of like fabricating expenses on one's expense report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.