Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Happiness flight 556 (pax upset full bin in First, GA berating FA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Happiness flight 556 (pax upset full bin in First, GA berating FA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
If the bins are only used by F pax there's enough space for everyone in F to have a rollerboard in the bins on all current mainline aircraft. This is math, not an opinion. An OHB can easily hold 2 roller boards regardless of how overstuffed they might be, newer bins that allow for side storage can hold 3-4 bags, and as there's only 2 seats per row and a max of 1 rollerboard per person math dictates that everyone should have space.

What can, and does happen, is often F pax put both their roller board and laptop/personal items in the OHB and/or inefficiently place their items (aka sideways vs wheels in/out) in the bin and then you can have situations as described in the OP where there's not enough space for everyone in F. Sometimes you can rearrange the sideways bags and make space, other times not. Myself, I put both of my bags (rollerboard and larger sized laptop bag) up top when I board after removing my laptop and headphones but will happily move my laptop bag down if there's a space issue where an F pax arrives late and there's no space for their bag. That said, in the situation described by the OP I wouldn't have done so as the guy was rude to the FA, I have no tolerance for people who are dismissive or rude to people because they think, almost always incorrectly, that they are better or more important that others. In that case I'd have happily watched him gate check his bag as penance for being a dbag #dontbeadick .
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by KKinLA
I have seen this happen before numerous times on both DL and AA, and the flight attendant's usually make room in the closet or find some other way to accommodate the first class passenger. I've also seen them pull other small items from the overheads and have the people that owned those items put them underneath the seat in front of them. I've never seen them make a first class passenger have to gate check their bag. This is a fail on the part of the crew IMO.
Normally I see FAs make every effort to accommodate bags of late-arriving F pax. But ifhe guy immediately started being a Grade A jerk to the FA, I would hardly be surprised to see no extra effort made.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryan182
If the bins are only used by F pax there's enough space for everyone in F to have a rollerboard in the bins on all current mainline aircraft. This is math, not an opinion. An OHB can easily hold 2 roller boards regardless of how overstuffed they might be, newer bins that allow for side storage can hold 3-4 bags, and as there's only 2 seats per row and a max of 1 rollerboard per person math dictates that everyone should have space.

What can, and does happen, is often F pax put both their roller board and laptop/personal items in the OHB and/or inefficiently place their items (aka sideways vs wheels in/out) in the bin and then you can have situations as described in the OP where there's not enough space for everyone in F. Sometimes you can rearrange the sideways bags and make space, other times not. Myself, I put both of my bags (rollerboard and larger sized laptop bag) up top when I board after removing my laptop and headphones but will happily move my laptop bag down if there's a space issue where an F pax arrives late and there's no space for their bag. That said, in the situation described by the OP I wouldn't have done so as the guy was rude to the FA, I have no tolerance for people who are dismissive or rude to people because they think, almost always incorrectly, that they are better or more important that others. In that case I'd have happily watched him gate check his bag as penance for being a dbag #dontbeadick .
The math is messed up when FAs store their own luggage in the bins over FC seats.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The math is messed up when FAs store their own luggage in the bins over FC seats.
Nothing, but nothing gets my back up more than this, or catering items in the Premium cabins. I know that in the USA Flight Attendants have to have their safety manual with them at all times, but they can store them elsewhere than in a Premium Cabin where space is far more limited.
Spiff and miles4CDG like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:54 am

This is my biggest fear during the few times when I simply cannot risk, however remote the possibility, losing my roller.

During times when I simply cannot risk losing my roller, I've chosen Y seats near the rear, since with elite boarding, I am absolutely assured bin space without having to fret over jockeying for boarding position. I've flown AA PE absent of status or chosen to credit AS and have run out of bin space, because the sheer amount those boarding before a vanilla PE pax means I'm last of the initial group. Granted, the FA will offer to find space elsewhere, but for any longer flights, I need to keep the roller within close proximity.

Of course, this is never a concern with int'l J/F.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Once again, if AA and other carriers would not charge to check bags for passengers without status, we might not have the mess that is associated with the boarding process.
(then again, I am the one that does not check a bag ever)
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:28 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I flew AA a few months ago, boarded group 6 (I think?) put my normal sized duffel bag in the overhead bin. I usually check but I don't have an AA credit card so didn't feel like paying. Some exceedingly rude and obnoxious elite passenger comes back and takes my bag out of the overhead bin saying that "he is guaranteed overhead bin space". He tells me I need to go to the front and have the GA check my bag. Then the FA comes up asked if I could please go ahead and gate check my bag. I chose not to put up a fight but boy was I mad.
The moral of the story is, I don't mind AA, however I do mind elite frequent travelers who think they are entitled to more than me (in the end we all paid for our tickets). They chose a job that required a lot of travel so there is no need to act like a martyr. There are lots of options for air travel so its not like they HAVE to fly only AA (or whatever airline they have status with). I understand some people own their business and pay for travel themselves. Same thing, they chose that. Obviously I am painting with broad strokes but that really rubbed me the wrong way. If you board late, it is logical to assume the FAs are going to put bags in all open bins regardless of where they are.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
Once again, if AA and other carriers would not charge to check bags for passengers without status, we might not have the mess that is associated with the boarding process.
As this was in F, all passengers had the option to check luggage free of charge.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by enviroian
I couldn’t take him berating this lady anymore.

He wants to say something to me after we deplane have at it pal.
While fisticuffs are always the last step, you stepping up to the plate to tell to the big mouth to cool it is needed more. I'd bet dime to a dollar many of your fellow F pax were instagramming or tweeting or facebooking the confrontations instead of doing something.
Gringa likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by george 3
While fisticuffs are always the last step, you stepping up to the plate to tell to the big mouth to cool it is needed more. I'd bet dime to a dollar many of your fellow F pax were instagramming or tweeting or facebooking the confrontations instead of doing something.
Mr big mouth looked shocked when I told him to calm down. As if no one has ever said anything to him.

Everyone else in the cabin just stared at him then resumed looking at their smart phones.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
What can, and does happen, is often F pax put both their roller board and laptop/personal items in the OHB...
This, x1000. My personal observation is that F passengers are the worst offenders when it comes to putting 2 items up top.
MorganB, lbbzman, eglise and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pmblinn
This, x1000. My personal observation is that F passengers are the worst offenders when it comes to putting 2 items up top.
Which is why I'm wondering and even more convinced M. H. was connecting. If he wasn't, he should've known damn well that when in row 1 everything goes up.

When he sat down initially after telling the flight attendant "you should have reserved some space for me" he plopped his overstuffed 22" roller and large laptop bag right in front of his feet. At least he didn't put it in the aisle.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fotographer
the bigger issue is that no one enforces size. Absurdly large bags manage to make it on daily, which causes a mess for everyone else.

As for saying something- I'll definitely tell an obnoxious DYKWIA to shove off. Usually the rude and awful pax who are nasty to GA and FA are bullies, picking on people who cant fight back. Send it back their way, and many just wilt and shut up.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pmblinn
On the new MiQ seats (Oasis), there is no space on the aisle. Today is the first time I've flown in an aisle F seat (window FTW), and i cannot fit my backpack.

Same backpack that fits under an ER4 seat with no issues, but it has to go up now.
Spiff, lbbzman and arlflyer like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I wonder if Mr Happy had been nice about it, if the FA(s) might have found space to squeeze his bag somewhere- even if a few rows back- instead of a gate check?

Including asking any F pax w stuff up above and space at their feet 'if you wouldnt mind...'
GoPhils likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.