FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Admirals Club Update: Free Digital Publications Downloads (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1986071-admirals-club-update-free-digital-publications-downloads.html)

econometrics Sep 5, 2019 1:08 pm

Admirals Club Update: Free Digital Publications Downloads

Anyone else get this e-blast from AA in the "Admirals Club Newsletter" today?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...24a471e8c0.png

Tried clicking through to "Learn more" and there was nothing more to learn, as it took me to the standard AC info page.

I like the sounds of this, though!

NovaEngr Sep 5, 2019 1:18 pm

Same email also mentioned the PHL A-West club will be closing on September 30 for conversion to a Flagship Lounge. With the A-East lounge tiny, that will likely result in the B-C lounge being packed. Once again, the "Learn More" link goes to the AC main page.

ikwia Sep 5, 2019 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 31494425)
Anyone else get this e-blast from AA in the "Admirals Club Newsletter" today?

[graphic about digital publications]

Tried clicking through to "Learn more" and there was nothing more to learn, as it took me to the standard AC info page.

I like the sounds of this, though!

I got it, too. And while I can understand why some will like this, I personally do not, as I prefer to read certain things in print form, and newspapers and the Economist are some of those items. I strongly suspect the paper versions will be going away, as UA did a while back in its clubs.

AANYC1981 Sep 5, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 31494539)
I got it, too. And while I can understand why some will like this, I personally do not, as I prefer to read certain things in print form, and newspapers and the Economist are some of those items. I strongly suspect the paper versions will be going away, as UA did a while back in its clubs.

Yep that was my first thought too when I received this email.

Stripe Sep 5, 2019 1:54 pm

My first thought as well. Interesting how AA has conditioned us to immediate look for the catch in any "enhancement" announcement.

This would be a big net negative if the print versions went away. Am I the only one who does not travel with a big tablet these days? Giving me free access to a newspaper over my iPhone SE is worthless.

I didn't know other clubs had already gone this route. Of course, AA is never the leader in anything, except mechanical delays. It's not surprising however. I run into more hotels that no longer stock papers and proudly say "we've gone paperless" when I inquire.

ikwia Sep 5, 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 31494575)
This would be a big net negative if the print versions went away. Am I the only one who does not travel with a big tablet these days? Giving me free access to a newspaper over my iPhone SE is worthless.

No, you're not alone, at all. And many of the tablets I see can't be used during TTL because they have keyboards.

I do happen to travel with a tablet, but I still don't want to read on my tablet. I prefer paper for many items, and aside from that, paper means I don't need to worry about my battery and I can quickly grab something vs needing to wait for a download. Most of these e-pub systems (I can't speak for this specific one) require you to connect to the establishment's wireless (and I'd never use AC wireless except with a VPN, which breaks the checks that most of these systems do to verify your entitlement to the publications). Some (many? most?) require a dedicated app, which I also prefer not to mess with. And the content usually expires, unlike paper, which I can read at my leisure, and paper is easier to transport at my destination if I don't read it entirely on the plane.

radonc1 Sep 5, 2019 6:01 pm

At least AA gives you a paper to download (although I don't know what papers are on the list)
In the United Club, UA simply "enhanced our experience" by eliminating newspapers altogether :mad::td:

econometrics Sep 6, 2019 11:01 am

AA updated the page with the digital download info, but just noted "select locations" without disclosing where those will be.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...e=admiralsclub

econometrics Sep 6, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 31494975)
Most of these e-pub systems (I can't speak for this specific one) require you to connect to the establishment's wireless (and I'd never use AC wireless except with a VPN, which breaks the checks that most of these systems do to verify your entitlement to the publications). Some (many? most?) require a dedicated app, which I also prefer not to mess with.

No app needed here. This is the process:
  1. Connect to the Admirals Club Wi-Fi
  2. Enter the designated Wi-Fi password
  3. Go to read.aa.com
  4. Enjoy unlimited downloads of your favorite magazines and newspapers

ikwia Sep 6, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 31497704)
No app needed here. This is the process:
  1. ...
  2. Enjoy unlimited downloads of your favorite magazines and newspapers

Thanks for this info. If there is no app, but you can "download" them, what format do they download in? Is there any DRM?

econometrics Sep 6, 2019 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 31498953)
Thanks for this info. If there is no app, but you can "download" them, what format do they download in? Is there any DRM?

Yeah, good question. I’ll be in the DFW AC next week, and I’ll see how this works on my iPhone and iPad.

ikwia Sep 8, 2019 5:01 pm

Apparently DFW clubs aren’t “select locations”. Tried and failed from A, and when I inquired, the AC rep knew what I was talking about and said it’s not at any DFW clubs at all.

SkyTeam777 Sep 9, 2019 6:30 am

Won't print magazines like Business Traveler, Global Traveler, American Way, etc still be stocked in the Admirals Clubs? It doesn't mention if those are going away.

scubadu Sep 9, 2019 7:05 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 31506140)
Won't print magazines like Business Traveler, Global Traveler, American Way, etc still be stocked in the Admirals Clubs? It doesn't mention if those are going away.

I don't know the definitive answer to your question, but if I hazard a guess I'd bet that "free" publications that are largely just giant advertisements (which is really what Business and Global Traveler are) might remain in hard copy. But I'm guessing publications that cost a good bit of money to provide such as "The Economist" or "The Wall Street Journal" will likely move to a digital model.

I have no inside information, just a guess.

Regards

Greg76248 Sep 20, 2019 12:39 pm

I’ve tried DFW A, DFW C, BNA, and DCA and apparently none of those are ‘select locations’. Anyone found a club where it works?