Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A flight of filth ... (dirty aircraft for SFO-JFK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

MODs: Pls move this if there’s a better home for it under a pre-existing discussion.

I have not flown AA in a while, and have never flown their transcon route in economy.

Yesterday I flew SFO>JFK and I was very much shocked with the condition of their hard product, primarily the filthiness of things.

- Seat had a brown stain right in the middle (I covered my seat with their blanket)

- Seatback monitor was covered with smudge marks.

- Tray table was visibly dirty (brown). I imagine someone either spilled or threw up their coffee and no one ever bothered cleaning as it reeked of stale coffee.

Really. I know planes are not the cleanest places but the amount of visible filth was overwhelming. Walking past first and business during boarding, the hard product looked visibly abused and dirty.

Is this the norm on AA? A very sad state of affairs.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I also flew SFO-JFK yesterday on the 7am and thought it was kept well and clean. It is not the norm on AA.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not the norm. Please write AA about it; obviously it is completely unsatisfactory for a plane to be flying in that dirty condition.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
I also flew SFO-JFK last night-the 314pm. Footrest was all ripped and a water bottle from previous flight was left on the floor.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
- Seat had a brown stain right in the middle (I covered my seat with their blanket)
This is potentially a safety/body fluid issue. If you tell a member of cabin crew, they will either reseat you or have maintenance replace your seat cushion. I speak from experience.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
SFO-JFK is on a 321T which has dark blue "leather" seats. Its pretty dark, not sure how a brown stain could happen on it
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Free Agent
So you flew AA, got a blanket AND a seat back monitor and you’re complaining? Confused.

Edited to add that jacca83 got a PDB too!

Last edited by PBIGuy; Sep 5, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by potus18
I also flew SFO-JFK yesterday on the 7am and thought it was kept well and clean. It is not the norm on AA.
Good to know there's hope.

Originally Posted by dickinson
Not the norm. Please write AA about it; obviously it is completely unsatisfactory for a plane to be flying in that dirty condition.
Yes I did send an email to customer relations via AA.com - I'm sure I'll hear back in 30-60 business days lol.

Originally Posted by jacca83
I also flew SFO-JFK last night-the 314pm. Footrest was all ripped and a water bottle from previous flight was left on the floor.
Ah-ha! We were on the same flight then...glad (but saddened) to read someone else saw what I experienced. That plane was in bad shape (looked like cleaning crew didn't bother with it, even though the incoming JFK>SFO had landed an hour early.)

Originally Posted by Antarius
SFO-JFK is on a 321T which has dark blue "leather" seats. Its pretty dark, not sure how a brown stain could happen on it
Oh trust me ... 'em brown stains be showing ... esp when they are 'engraved' in the center of the seat (I could only picture in my head which part of one's behind typically 'rests' at that spot on the seat).

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This is potentially a safety/body fluid issue. If you tell a member of cabin crew, they will either reseat you or have maintenance replace your seat cushion. I speak from experience.
You're right. At that moment in time I figured folding my blanket will provide better cleanliness then any alternative (middle) non-MCE seat I'll end up in...and that was probably the right call judging this plane's condition since perhaps the new seat probably had it's own issues.

Originally Posted by PBIGuy
So you flew AA, got a blanket AND a seat back monitor and you’re complaining? Confused.

Edited to add that jacca83 got a PDB too!
Yup ... #winning

Last edited by CodeAdam10; Sep 5, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Seat had a brown stain right in the middle (I covered my seat with their blanket)

You're right. At that moment in time I figured folding my blanket will provide better cleanliness then any alternative (middle) non-MCE seat I'll end up in...and that was probably the right call judging this plane's condition since perhaps the new seat probably had it's own issues.
They can replace the seat cushion pretty easily as they pull right off. If there was actually a biohazard issue with the seat, and yes I know there could be an alternate explanations for 'brown' stains on a cushion where one's arse is placed, I'd posit that the most likely of explanations is what everyone is thinking so even if you were OK with the blanket barrier between you and someone else's fecal matter I'd suggest that you at least bring it to the attention of the crew, if not immediately at least upon landing.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Possibly from the same coffee that spilled on the tray table?
PUCCI GALORE and MathMusic like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Seatback monitor was covered with smudge marks
I mean, fingerprints on a seatback monitor doesn't exactly come across to me as some vile, filthy experience. Though at the same time should be easy enough to wipe down.

Stained seat cushion etc. though seems pretty... yuck.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have seen plenty of cleaning crews waiting to come aboard on international flights, but not on domestic flights, wonder if the planes are cleaned once they are in service and then when they are out of service.
maybe AA and other airlines expect either the passengers or the FA to clean the plane?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
IIRC cleaners come on if a flight is over a certain duration, however, I believe the crew can request cleaning services if needed. Even at that with turns of often less than one hour cleaners have 5 minutes to wipe down the bathrooms, sweep up any visit dirt and other cleaning duties. Ultimately it's up to the crew to determine whether an a/c should get additional cleaning. I've not encountered many dirty planes. This may have been a one off.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
As my most frequently traveled route, I have been on many JFK-SFO flights that have been borderline disgusting. Even in First. One time i flat out denied sitting in the F seat I had due to how dirty it was. I told the FA that I did not pay thousands for this flight to sit in filth. They promptly had a cleaning crew come and solve the problem. Its quite ridiculous to board a plane and see conditions so blatantly ignored, to think they had the nerve to sign off on boarding the plane in that condition.

To the OP, you should have said something to the FA and have them clean your seat, without moving you out of your selected MCE seat. You have every right to have a clean seat when you travel. You know, since AA is going for GreAAt and all...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:39 am

No they don’t. The A321T has the old AA long haul seats (which are cloth with a leather headrest), as found on the 77W/77E and 788.

(Unless they changed them, recently.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.