Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alcoholic beverage service in F vs MCE / Main Cabin Extra

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcoholic beverage service in F vs MCE / Main Cabin Extra

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Is that the biggest font you could find?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
There are some FAs who are clearly going through the motions, but even they have never had an issue or refused when I asked for a double. More often than not though, there are FAs who are super friendly. Since I'm usually in the exit row by the second door on an A321, I spend some time pre-departure near the FA. A little courtesy, understanding that they are people, not just your servants, goes a long way.

On my last flight, the FA (in coach!) gave me a PDB. I didn't ask for it, I just asked him how his day was going. He said it was going great, and if I'd like a drink. Tito's and soda with an extra mini. Then (unprompted) 4 more minis during the drink service. I had to put some in my laptop bag or I would have been toast before landing!

Sometimes, what you get out of life is what you put into it.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:32 am

One recent story: I was flying F a few months ago PHL down to Fort Myers - 8pm flight - and decided on some red wine to drink. I had a few glasses and the FA asked if she thought I'd like another glass b/c, if so, she'll open another bottle - I said yes. She opens the other bottle - pours me another glass or two. As we're about to land she leans in close, let's me know there's half a bottle of the wine left still - and it'll probably just go to waste and asks if I would like to take the bottle home. I say, sure why not. She corks it, then carefully wraps it up in a few plastic bags, puts a rubber band around the whole thing and gave it to me.

I agree with the poster above - you get out of life what you put into it. I've flown hundreds of times - mostly long hauls/trans cons - and have boozed my face off on many of them - to much enjoyment and relaxation - and never had an issue described in this thread, once. But then again, I greet everyone with a smile and a nod, am generally amenable, and don't expect the world to revolve around me.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jcatman
Is that the biggest font you could find?
Sorry for the font size. I cut and paste from FT and there is no option to reduce the font :-(

Update: I edited it outside of this application and reduced the font....Hope you are happy now :-)

Last edited by flyalways; Oct 4, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:40 pm

I made the same comment as this one on the topic about FA's charging MCE passengers for alcohol, but i didn't start 2 topics so I don't think this is cross-posting. just 2 very similar issues with separate threads

The wording on AA.com seems to be new:
number of drinks served may be limited. I assume they mean they may limit the # of free drinks. I don't think they say that as you book a first class seat!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:43 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
The wording on AA.com seems to be new:
number of drinks served may be limited. I assume they mean they may limit the # of free drinks. I don't think they say that as you book a first class seat!
That's interesting. I'm guessing they added this verbiage because the FAs complained that they were having to work harder in coach, or they are reading FT and tired of all of our nitpicking complaints.

But, no - they make no mention of limiting the complementary alcohol in First, and nor does Delta make any mention of limiting alcoholic beverages in Econ Comfort.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
That's interesting. I'm guessing they added this verbiage because the FAs complained that they were having to work harder in coach, or they are reading FT and tired of all of our nitpicking complaints.

But, no - they make no mention of limiting the complementary alcohol in First, and nor does Delta make any mention of limiting alcoholic beverages in Econ Comfort.
Yes, AA does..could be recent.

Complimentary drinks

Our premium cabins are stocked with a variety of complimentary beers, wines and spirits to complement the inflight menu. Each wine we serve goes through an extremely selective process as part of our award-winning wine program lead by Bobby Stuckey.*

For over 20 years Stuckey has gained experience as a Master Sommelier and restaurateur. In addition, he's helped create wine lists for several James Beard Award-winning restaurants.

*On flights with full drink service. The number of drinks served may be limited.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It’s really simple....just use the restroom and on your way back to your seat just ask for whatever you want....it’s a win-win and the FAs don’t feel like they are doing extra work waiting on MCE requests....it works 100% of the time for me if I want something more outside of the normal beverage services.
teemuflyer and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that language is vague enough that it could even be a liability thing. Of course they may limit the number of drinks - if you’re wasted!!!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It’s really simple....just use the restroom and on your way back to your seat just ask for whatever you want....it’s a win-win and the FAs don’t feel like they are doing extra work waiting on MCE requests....it works 100% of the time for me if I want something more outside of the normal beverage services.
This.

The only times it has been hard to get a refill is when it has nothing to do with alcohol vs. soda/juice. Turbulence, other duties and the like. It's still Y and those cabins are not exactly over-staffed.

But, if hitting the call button does not work or it seems the wrong thing at the time, wandering to a galley does the trick.

As to limiting service, it's required by FAA rules if the passenger appears impaired to the crew. Has nothing to do with class of service or whether the booze is included or a supplement.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:45 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Often1
As to limiting service, it's required by FAA rules if the passenger appears impaired to the crew. Has nothing to do with class of service or whether the booze is included or a supplement.
Well, yes but this has always been the case for all passengers consuming alcohol on the plane, whether they are in a class of service that it's complimentary or available for purchase. Their liability doesn't change whether they remind people on the web site that the F/A has final decision on whether or not to serve alcohol.

They added this verbiage, I'm guessing, because of complaints from crews about passengers pulling the DYKWIA card to get more booze when they probably should have been cut off. The number of stories circulating around social media and the news of unruly passengers on airlines around the world also probably has something to do with it. Now they have the web site to refer to, in addition to the long published FAA regs that also give crews the authority to decline service.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:44 pm

AA MCE Alcohol Limit?

When I was flying the other day on a 2.5-hour AA flight in MCE, I had a drink when the drink service came by (this was my first drink of the day). I later went back to use the restroom and I asked for a Baileys from the same FA who served me the first drink. When he gave me a single bottle I asked for another. He said that the alcoholic drinks in the row I was in were complimentary up to two. He mentioned that the first few rows of coach and the exit rows offered this. I said that I didn't know there was a drink limit in MCE. He said to me, "What's MCE?" I then explained it to him. This isn't the first time an AA employee has had no knowledge of MCE. Last year I was asking a GA if there was a seat in Main Cabin Extra for me. They had no idea what it was. Further, when I tried to explain there were rows that offered more legroom than other rows, she told me all rows in coach has the same legroom.

So, is there a drink limit in MCE as opposed to First (not in reference to limiting an intoxicated customer)? And, who do FAs and GAs not know what is Main Cabin Extra?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
When I was flying the other day on a 2.5-hour AA flight in MCE, I had a drink when the drink service came by (this was my first drink of the day). I later went back to use the restroom and I asked for a Baileys from the same FA who served me the first drink. When he gave me a single bottle I asked for another. He said that the alcoholic drinks in the row I was in were complimentary up to two. He mentioned that the first few rows of coach and the exit rows offered this. I said that I didn't know there was a drink limit in MCE. He said to me, "What's MCE?" I then explained it to him. This isn't the first time an AA employee has had no knowledge of MCE. Last year I was asking a GA if there was a seat in Main Cabin Extra for me. They had no idea what it was. Further, when I tried to explain there were rows that offered more legroom than other rows, she told me all rows in coach has the same legroom.

So, is there a drink limit in MCE as opposed to First (not in reference to limiting an intoxicated customer)? And, who do FAs and GAs not know what is Main Cabin Extra?
I never noticed a published limit. I have noticed, at least on FT, passengers complaining about being cut off, but that wasn't limited to MCE
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA advertises that alcoholic drinks might be limited in MCE. That of course enables FAs to make up their own rules.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA advertises that alcoholic drinks might be limited in MCE. That of course enables FAs to make up their own rules.
Haha, Well, I guess I have no complaint then, if those are the rules! In the interest of full disclosure, the FA did walk by my seat and put another Baileys on my table. Now I know, the limit is whatever the FA says it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.