FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Does distance flown matter on AA anymore? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1985785-does-distance-flown-matter-aa-anymore.html)

AArkansas Sep 3, 2019 12:26 pm

Does distance flown matter on AA anymore?

Apologies in AAdvance if this has been answered, but wondered if actual distance flown matter when accruing AA miles? I'm planning on going from LIT to LHR/LGW soon -- booking through the AA website. Of course, the fastest is LIT to ORD to LHR. However, I found choices like LIT to DFW to DEN to LHR -- the last leg on BA.

I plan to book 'Main Cabin' to earn 100% miles,segments, money spent, blah blah. Just wondering if the extra distance matters? Or if flying on BA will affect mileage at all.

Thanks for considering!

Jimmy Edwards
No Status (former Exc Plat), with 30 upgrades still in my account.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Sep 3, 2019 12:30 pm

Miles flown count towards MM and if you are GLD or PLT miles count towards earned stickers (12.5 EQM for 4 stickers). And while you now must hit an EQD for status you still must meet either a mileage or segment threshold.

ijgordon Sep 3, 2019 12:31 pm

Distance does not matter for earning redeemable AAdvantage miles (RDMs) on any flight with an AA flight number (even if it's operated by a partner like BA). Those are solely based on the fare paid. Distance does still matter for elite-qualifying miles (EQMs) for AA-marketed flights.

Distance also does still matter for any flights booked with a partner flight number, regardless of who operates the flight. For these flights, distance will determine RDMs, EQMs, as well as EQD's, based on the earning charts for each partner on AA.com.

Depending on the price of the flight and the length of the flight, you may come out "ahead" on an AA-marketed flight, or you may come out ahead on the same flights booked with a partner flight number. And while you could come out ahead on, say, RDMs with a partner, you could come out behind on EQMs. You really have to look at the chart.

Note that you won't always have the opportunity to choose whether to book as AA-marketed or partner-marketed, and the fares may not always be the same.

lightbulbs Sep 4, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31486541)
Distance does not matter for earning redeemable AAdvantage miles (RDMs) on any flight with an AA flight number (even if it's operated by a partner like BA). Those are solely based on the fare paid. Distance does still matter for elite-qualifying miles (EQMs) for AA-marketed flights.

Distance also does still matter for any flights booked with a partner flight number, regardless of who operates the flight. For these flights, distance will determine RDMs, EQMs, as well as EQD's, based on the earning charts for each partner on AA.com.

Depending on the price of the flight and the length of the flight, you may come out "ahead" on an AA-marketed flight, or you may come out ahead on the same flights booked with a partner flight number. And while you could come out ahead on, say, RDMs with a partner, you could come out behind on EQMs. You really have to look at the chart.

Note that you won't always have the opportunity to choose whether to book as AA-marketed or partner-marketed, and the fares may not always be the same.

don’t forget some AA marketed and operated flights purchased on special fares do earn based on distance

Superguy Sep 4, 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31486534)
Miles flown count towards MM and if you are GLD or PLT miles count towards earned stickers (12.5 EQM for 4 stickers). And while you now must hit an EQD for status you still must meet either a mileage or segment threshold.

Don't forget CoS bonuses on the EQMs. You can get the stickers for as 4167 miles flown if in full F of J, or 6250 EQMs on most premium fares.

AArkansas Sep 6, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks VERY much to everyone who responded! I really appreciate it.

AArkansas