Exec Plat - Requalifying with new baby....

Old Sep 2, 19, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Exec Plat - Requalifying with new baby....

I've been EXP for 5+ years straight, and will end up missing it this year by 20-25K miles. I didn't travel for 3 months during/after my first baby arrived. Delta was nice enough to offer a status challenge due to a life event, unfortunately AA hasn't copied this offer.

I've hit on 2/3s of my upgrades thus far (DFW based, miss the ones to BOS, LAX, SFO and other high traffic business routes).

Has anyone had success appealing to AA for a status challenge or extension of benefits based on a life event? I'm considering letting the status lapse for all the reasons we hear in the MSM and on Flyertalk, etc. The 4 SWUs have basically become extremely difficult to use, same day confirmed travel changes are the most valuable perk along with EXP desk and the upgrades one does get...with that being said, upgrades are only becoming more difficult as AA tries to sell FC seats (as they should).

Is Platinum Pro desk as good as EXP in people's experience? Anyone else dealing with this situation and have a different take?
Old Sep 2, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
I've not had a major life event that would warrant a status match or challenge, but I would certainly reach out to AAdvantage Customer Service and see if they will offer you something. Also, in years past, AA has also allowed you to pay to secure status around the end of the year.
Old Sep 2, 19, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Rsherwin View Post
I've been EXP for 5+ years straight, and will end up missing it this year by 20-25K miles. I didn't travel for 3 months during/after my first baby arrived. Delta was nice enough to offer a status challenge due to a life event, unfortunately AA hasn't copied this offer.

I've hit on 2/3s of my upgrades thus far (DFW based, miss the ones to BOS, LAX, SFO and other high traffic business routes).

Has anyone had success appealing to AA for a status challenge or extension of benefits based on a life event? I'm considering letting the status lapse for all the reasons we hear in the MSM and on Flyertalk, etc. The 4 SWUs have basically become extremely difficult to use, same day confirmed travel changes are the most valuable perk along with EXP desk and the upgrades one does get...with that being said, upgrades are only becoming more difficult as AA tries to sell FC seats (as they should).

Is Platinum Pro desk as good as EXP in people's experience? Anyone else dealing with this situation and have a different take?
Generally, and especially since AA monetized buying status back, members have not had much luck with AA granting status for reasons like this, unfortunately. By all means, try.

There is no Platinum Pro (or Platinum, or Gold) “Desk”. These are all numbers that lead into the main call system, but prioritized by status. Sorry.

The Executive Platinum Desk actually exists, but IMO has fallen several notches. AA shut down EXP call centers at LAX, TUS, BDL and a number of agents who were in my car experience superb retired or quit rather than relocate. It appears they filled in with agents by seniority, rather than by knowledge and ability. (I don’t know this for a fact, but it certainly explains the massive decline in assistance and knowledge at EXP Desk. I was EXP 17 years, until this year.)

The Concierge Key Desk is separate and has a decent reputation.

The Business Extra member often uses the American Airlines Meeting Services, which seems to be less than brilliant.
Old Sep 2, 19, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As PP you will still have access to unlimited UG's and the other services are not markedly different. You may be offered an opportunity to buy EXP back. But, if you are not, you will presumably be back to EXP soon enough on your own.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Generally, and especially since AA monetized buying status back, members have not had much luck with AA granting status for reasons like this, unfortunately. By all means, try.

There is no Platinum Pro (or Platinum, or Gold) “Desk”. These are all numbers that lead into the main call system, but prioritized by status. Sorry.

The Executive Platinum Desk actually exists, but IMO has fallen several notches. AA shut down EXP call centers at LAX, TUS, BDL and a number of agents who were in my car experience superb retired or quit rather than relocate. It appears they filled in with agents by seniority, rather than by knowledge and ability. (I don’t know this for a fact, but it certainly explains the massive decline in assistance and knowledge at EXP Desk. I was EXP 17 years, until this year.)

The Concierge Key Desk is separate and has a decent reputation.

The Business Extra member often uses the American Airlines Meeting Services, which seems to be less than brilliant.
Thanks for the feedback JDiver (and others) - I was unaware of the difference between PlatPro and EXP call setup. I agree, EXP has fallen off a lot...but it sounds like it still may be a bit better than PlatPro line? I'll review the buy-back situation, but assume that it will be $2K+ based on what I've seen in past years. Not sure I can make those numbers work based on the drop off in quality. If the SWUs were easier to confirm at booking, it would be a much easier decision as well.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:56 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Plat Plus, WN CP, HH Gold, Marriot Plat
For whatever it's worth, a female colleague of who is EXP stated that she was able to provide proof of the birth of her child and was granted EXP for 2020 based on her travel to date back in July. From her statement, she met about 80% of the EQM at that point for EXP.
JDiver and silverforumsurf like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Rsherwin View Post
I didn't travel for 3 months during/after my first baby arrived.
Congratulations!! Make sure that baby is enrolled in AAdvantage as soon as you start buying him/her a separate seat.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Yes! Congratulations on that life event, even if it is wreaking havoc on your airline status.

Needing to be close to home and dealing with the situation of a terminally ill father, who has now passed, cut greatly into my flying this year. I might have trouble achieving Plat again. We'll see. There are still four months left in 2019. I fully expect to have to buy back status this time. I don't expect AA to do anything for me.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Sep 3, 19 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 3, 19, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA used to offer the ability for multi year EXPs the ability to do a 90 day EXP challenge re-qualification (happened to me some years back). IF STILL OFFERED, it probably wouldn't happen until next year.
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: Many
Always amusing that while AA has made it harder to qualify for EXP by first instituting EQD then raising the spend from 12-15k to cull the #s of EXP they have at the same time slashed the support and benefits and ability to use SWU (as well as # earned). Nice!
Old Sep 3, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've never had status on any airline above the 25K miles level, except that I was AA Plat in 2015-16 and I'm PPro this year. So to me PPro is a step up, not down. I've been fairly happy with it. I mostly fly PHL-LAS and I mostly buy F westbound, but I've been upgraded every time my return was a nonstop red-eye except one. Last week I did a SDC for the first time SEA-PHL, I was #3 on the upgrade list when it posted (an A321 with 20 F seats) and I did clear. I'm fairly well above the 9K EQD level, and I assume most people who are above 15K EQD are EXP, so I think I'm probably in the upper half of PPro's based on EQD.

But I don't get SWU's so I don't miss not being able to use them.

I don't think dropping from EXP to PPro is like dropping down from Ruth's Chris to Burger King. More like Longhorn.

Search this Thread