Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
By publishing the policy and its conditions, AA would derive the customer benefit of being fully informed and the brand damage caused by incidents such as this. If indeed there are differences between IRROPS rebooking for connections and on separate tickets, those should be made clear and thus avoidable / avoided.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by percysmith
At one point AA did offer to route him to Dubrovnik. That's the be all and end all of their obligations. The fact it causes a no-show for next sector after stopover isn't AA's responsibility (couldn't Mike rebook?).
Really? They offered to route him to DBV TWO DAYS after he was supposed to depart. Can I call AA TWO DAYS after I book a ticket to avail myself of their full refund policy? I mean come on. What a double standard where the airline can find/apply their rules days later but no such grace period or generosity exists for the passengers.

The fact that it causes a no-show for the next sector is absolutely AA's responsibility. They cancelled a flight that caused all of these problems. How do you think its appropriate for an airline to rebook your outbound later than when your return is supposed to depart? That is insane.

If Delta causes an IROP of any sort, they will allow the return to be rebooked to allow you the same amount of time in the destination city. That is a completely reasonable policy. They will even do this if the return is on a separate ticket/PNR, which is generous, but still makes sense. And probably what contributes to their revenue premium - treating passengers like people and applying a reasonableness test - not applying draconian policies 48 hours late and leaving a passenger with no return because the airline cancelled a flight.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by percysmith
I disagree that use of a policy/practice in plain sight should be discouraged. Even when not offered by competitors ("generous").

Can we find a link to the policy on a publicly accessible AA website (not an internal document), or in the terms of a purchased ticket? If not its hard to describe the policy as in plain sight.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:01 am

The problem with saying it's BA or IB's problem is that in situations where I've had mixed tickets (even on one PNR) involving only a few segments on AA, once I've only got AA operated segments remaining on my ticket, BA and IB (at least, my experience in these situations is only with them), usually take the attitude that it's AA's problem, since all remaining segments are AA operated at that point (I don't say that this is the correct interpretation, only the position they take).

I have had AA honor the the guarantee coming from a non-AA (but oneworld) ticket to an AA ticket. In both (or maybe all three, can't remember the details of the ticket on the third one) cases, however, I had to go outside of security to the check-in desk and make something of a nuisance of myself until I eventually talked to someone who knew how to make it happen.

I think this is a great policy, since the reality of the JV agreements mean that there is often not a practical way to book a single ticket using only one carrier metal (especially between e.g. Southeast Asia or Eastern Europe) and non-major cities in the US.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
1) The policy in this link does not protect separate tickets on separate PNRs (which is the situation from the OMAAT post)

2) This isn't really a "publicly available" document - can you find this PDF by accessing the consumer facing AA.com website and clicking through links? This seems like an internal document
rumboj likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

This traveler wanted to get to their final destination. They book more than one ticket to do it. They did it all on oneworld when they could have picked other carriers, precisely because this protection policy exists! How do you not understand the additional revenue a policy like this brings in for the alliance?
Obvously not enough since the alliance no longer has a policy to protect passengers - this is purely an AA policy and neither of the tickets were AA tickets
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
1) The policy in this link does not protect separate tickets on separate PNRs (which is the situation from the OMAAT post)
That's how I read it, too. It only seems to cover IRROPS within the same PNR for the oneworld benefit.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
this is purely an AA policy and neither of the tickets were AA tickets
Yet it took AA 2 days to apply their own policy? And then they want to get him to DBV after the return is supposed to leave, and they think that's OK?

AA's own policy doesn't require either ticket to be on AA stock - just that it is on oneworld stock eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:43 am

2) This isn't really a "publicly available" document - can you find this PDF by accessing the consumer facing AA.com website and clicking through links? This seems like an internal document
Saleslink is Travel Agent's document? Much like cxagents.com first uploaded CX's new equivalent policy https://onemileatatime.com/oneworld-...ts-protection/ ?

But your first point may be valid. I defer to USFlyerUS #57

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 3, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:46 am

[deleted]

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 3, 2019 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The PDF we're looking at has a gap. It covers AA to/from oneworld on same PNR and AA to/from non-oneworld on same or different PNR. It does not cover (unless I'm missing it) AA to/from oneworld on different PNR.
deeruck, percysmith and FAA1996 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
The PDF we're looking at has a gap. It covers AA to/from oneworld on same PNR and AA to/from non-oneworld on same or different PNR. It does not cover (unless I'm missing it) AA to/from oneworld on different PNR.
Good point. Now I'm confused as heck.

Since there's nothing in the new text that covers Mike's case, but the old text does, and there is no explicit notification that the old text is withdrawn or replaced by the new text, assume the old text is still valid for Mike's particular case?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
​​​​​​​
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

The problem was there was little to no buffer in HNL - he should have flown to HNL a day or two before his HNL to DBV flight.
At least the day before, or, very minimum, he should have had two subsequent direct flights PHX-HNL as buffer (and assuming no checked luggage).

Last edited by nk15; Sep 3, 2019 at 8:32 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
That's how I read it, too. It only seems to cover IRROPS within the same PNR for the oneworld benefit.
It seems that the policy has been updated to include only flights on separate tickets but with the same PNR? Although I am confused, two separate tickets and one PNR, I have never seen anything like this in real life.

If that's correct, then any re-accommodations are now optional for normal separate tickets..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.