Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The routing that OMAAT took (basically a 180 degree turn), and the risks accepted because of the policy’s existence, would seem to encourage AA to discontinue the policy or add another restriction that a non-constructed fare needs to exist somewhere on a OW carrier for the entire trip. I’m not trying to apologize for AA but I also hate hearing about people taking advantage of a system in ways that could ruin things for everyone else.
moondog, C17PSGR, fttc and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
How about AA operated/AA marketed to AA operated/IB marketed?
My assumption would be that that would be considered AA <-> OneWorld.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Both IB and the fact that these were avios tickets are red herrings.

Day of travel made this AA's issue and the method of payment does not change anything. Once it was AA's problem, it was AA's policies.
What gives me pause about this is the language of the policy posted above by JonNYC. If neither of the two tickets has to be on AA stock, the policy could have said that both tickets must be on the stock of one or more oneworld airlines, eligible under the endorsement waiver program. Instead, the policy says that the second ticket must be on the stock of a oneworld airline, etc. Could that mean that (at least) one of the two tickets must be on AA stock in order for the policy to apply? I truly do not know the answer, but the existing policy could be read as assuming that at least one of the involved tickets was issued on 001 stock.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
What gives me pause about this is the language of the policy posted above by JonNYC. If neither of the two tickets has to be on AA stock, the policy could have said that both tickets must be on the stock of one or more oneworld airlines, eligible under the endorsement waiver program. Instead, the policy says that the second ticket must be on the stock of a oneworld airline, etc. Could that mean that (at least) one of the two tickets must be on AA stock in order for the policy to apply? I truly do not know the answer, but the existing policy could be read as assuming that at least one of the involved tickets was issued on 001 stock.
That wouldn't be my reading of it, I think "second" really just means "other" in this context. (Also keep in mind that that section is quite old-- just so no one gets confused.)
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That wouldn't be my reading of it, I think "second" really just means "other" in this context. (Also keep in mind that that section is quite old-- just so no one gets confused.)
I also think that "second" just means other. But if AA's intention were for the protection policy to apply even if both tickets were on the stock of other oneworld airlines, why wouldn't the policy just refer to "both tickets," rather than to the "second" ticket? Just poor draftsmanship, or something more significant?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
So, the take away from this is that AA should have protected him on these One World award flights neither of which were on AA stock and on separate PNRs. But that apparently didn’t happen and we are all left to wonder why.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by armus
The routing that OMAAT took (basically a 180 degree turn), and the risks accepted because of the policy’s existence, would seem to encourage AA to discontinue the policy or add another restriction that a non-constructed fare needs to exist somewhere on a OW carrier for the entire trip. I’m not trying to apologize for AA but I also hate hearing about people taking advantage of a system in ways that could ruin things for everyone else.
Exactly my thoughts when reading the post. People taking unnecessary advantage of a generous policy such as this and then complaining about it (AA did offer to get the person to their destination albeit after their return, but that's all they were supposed to do according the posted rules, using same connecting points) AA will eventually discontinue this policy and then we will all be screwed.
moondog, C17PSGR, fttc and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Sounds like there will be more (any!) clarity on the policy coming our way soon.
enpremiere and AA100k like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I think the best thing Mike could have done in this situation (if I'm following his account correctly) was not wait until the PHX-HNL was cancelled before trying to get rebooked. At 3pm, there might have been a chance to get to HNL by going through LAX, etc. At 7pm, there were not many options.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AA100k
So, the take away from this is that AA should have protected him on these One World award flights neither of which were on AA stock and on separate PNRs. But that apparently didn’t happen and we are all left to wonder why.
I think my takeaways from it are that AA agents need to be trained better on some of the policies. Ultimately, it seems they realized what they needed to do, and were willing to do it, but by that point it was too late to get him there in time for him to make his return flight. AA's obligation, per their own policy, was not, apparently, to get him to DBV as soon as humanly possible on the most direct routing in time for his return flight. It was to get him as soon as possible to HNL and then to wherever and then to DBV. If they had realized this sooner, they may have been able to actually get him there in time.

@JonNYC, any idea what kinds of things AA needs to do behind the scenes w/r/t reservation systems in these cases communicating to OW partner airlines when a passenger is going to misconnect to an outbound itinerary, so that the inbound doesn't get cancelled?
btonkid12345 and AA100k like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Can American even touch non 001 tickets? My impression was not.

I have been in this situation before, but with two separate 001 tickets, and was re-routed to final destination by the EXP line.

The moral of the story is do not try this unless both tickets are on 001 stock. If one of the tickets is not 001, you need to fly the positioning flight the day before, especially when the big/expensive trip is second. And book them with a cc that has insurance.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Can American even touch non 001 tickets? My impression was not.

I have been in this situation before, but with two separate 001 tickets, and was re-routed to final destination by the EXP line.

The moral of the story is do not try this unless both tickets are on 001 stock. If one of the tickets is not 001, you need to fly the positioning flight the day before, especially when the big/expensive trip is second. And book them with a cc that has insurance.
Yes, AA can touch other oneworld-issued tickets that qualify under the "endorsement waiver program." That's the language in the AA policy re: protection on separate AA-oneworld tickets.

The potentially complicating factor here -- at least for me -- is that neither of the two tickets in this particular case was issued by AA.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This guy was an amateur, two separate non-001 tickets, no buffer between tickets, no status, no cc insurance, quick turn in DBV, no plan B, he probably had checked luggage, completely unprepared, hoping for a best case scenario...
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by nk15
This guy was an amateur, two separate non-001 tickets, no buffer between tickets, no status, no cc insurance, quick turn in DBV, no plan B, he probably had checked luggage, completely unprepared, hoping for a best case scenario...
It’s bad that expecting AA to follow their own policy is “best case scenario,”
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DMPHL
.. @JonNYC, any idea what kinds of things AA needs to do behind the scenes w/r/t reservation systems in these cases communicating to OW partner airlines when a passenger is going to misconnect to an outbound itinerary, so that the inbound doesn't get cancelled?
No idea, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.