Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Checked the policy again-- still there. Agents can and do apply it, but, as we've seen (and certainly nothing to do with the blogger's VERY challenging example/itinerary)-- very, very, very unevenly, very unfortunately.
Thanks for this. Is there any specific wording we can use to ask them to check for this? (I say this as a person who was told no, no, no in June)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global321
Thanks for this. Is there any specific wording we can use to ask them to check for this? (I say this as a person who was told no, no, no in June)
It's definitely in their web reference and not hard to find, I'm told. I'd always suggest involving AA Twitter as they seem to have a higher hit-rate of correctly advising on this. Then, tweet them back if/when next agent says no. A total pain, that should NOT be necessary needless to say.
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
JonNYC,
Next week I am traveling IND-ORD on AA and then ORD-NRT on JL. If something happens to my IND-ORD, this means AA can not rebook me IND-DFW and then DFW-NRT on JL since it has to be the same connecting point? This is on a paid ticket.
Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danosu77
JonNYC,
Next week I am traveling IND-ORD on AA and then ORD-NRT on JL. If something happens to my IND-ORD, this means AA can not rebook me IND-DFW and then DFW-NRT on JL since it has to be the same connecting point? This is on a paid ticket.
Thanks!
But you mean on two separate tickets? If so, I wouldn't say the "can't" I'd say though that the policy only instructs them to do it via ORD-- again on separate tickets. Hard to say if they might do it the other way, only the prescribed way or, as we've seen-- not at all until you find the right person.

If on one ticket, this policy doesn't apply, they'l reroute you best way possible.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:11 pm

If a passenger has purchased separate tickets, would a travel agent be able to link the tickets onto one PNR, after the fact?

(For a fee of course.)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
If a passenger has purchased separate tickets, would a travel agent be able to link the tickets onto one PNR, after the fact?

(For a fee of course.)
Nope
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:26 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I can’t search this thread because I’m on my mobile, but I would’ve handled this by insisting that Hawai’i is a “trip in vain,” and ask for rebooking on BA’s PHX-LHR. That’s how I would’ve handled it.

That aside, I must say that AA’s CS at PHX has been dog-awful. I’ve been cancelled 5-6 times to/from there over the last six weeks (and expect the same today as I fly home to YVR). How do I deal with this? Travel insurance.

P.S. I don’t know why Discount Dougie is stubbornly clinging to this hub when he has LAX. PHX sux sux sux and is not going to get better with climate change.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Trip in vain would allow cancelling of the flight to Honolulu - if the location is denying protection on a ba ticket to Honolulu with a separate booking with Iberia, not sure how would have any more success in insisting on a flight to London on BA over the response that the person in the article received
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
To clarify - will Citi CC trip interruption insurance cover an event where you'll miss the second ticket due to delays from the first?

e.g.:
Ticket 1: LAX -> HKG on AA RT
Ticket 2: HKG -> DOH on QR RT (With 6 hours in between arriving at HKG and departing on the QR flight)

If the LAX -> HKG leg gets delayed, I *should* be able to change my HKG -> DOH flight on QR and file a claim against my CC travel insurance for the change fees, right?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by uxb
I can’t search this thread because I’m on my mobile, but I would’ve handled this by insisting that Hawai’i is a “trip in vain,” and ask for rebooking on BA’s PHX-LHR. That’s how I would’ve handled it.

That aside, I must say that AA’s CS at PHX has been dog-awful. I’ve been cancelled 5-6 times to/from there over the last six weeks (and expect the same today as I fly home to YVR). How do I deal with this? Travel insurance.

P.S. I don’t know why Discount Dougie is stubbornly clinging to this hub when he has LAX. PHX sux sux sux and is not going to get better with climate change.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Trip in vain would allow cancelling of the flight to Honolulu - if the location is denying protection on a ba ticket to Honolulu with a separate booking with Iberia, not sure how would have any more success in insisting on a flight to London on BA over the response that the person in the article received
Agree with Dave. On what basis would AA grant a reroute on two separate tickets? I believe your request is to cancel and refund PHX-HNL and change your ticket from HNL-LHR to PHX-LHR. Based on the reference point Jon provided, there is no basis (that I can see) for AA to reroute PHX-LHR. (As for Mike, I believe his issue is he need the miles from HNL to LHR for the status match.)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Global321
Based on the reference point Jon provided, there is no basis (that I can see) for AA to reroute PHX-LHR.
if that doesn't trigger a reprice, I'll eat any amenity kit you can produce, complete with contents (which?).
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:27 pm

not hard to find, I'm told.
Has this contact of yours confirmed he or she can still find it after the publication of the OMAAT article?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith

Has this contact of yours confirmed he or she can still find it after the publication of the OMAAT article?[/left]
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31492943-post150.html
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Martellus
To clarify - will Citi CC trip interruption insurance cover an event where you'll miss the second ticket due to delays from the first?

e.g.:
Ticket 1: LAX -> HKG on AA RT
Ticket 2: HKG -> DOH on QR RT (With 6 hours in between arriving at HKG and departing on the QR flight)

If the LAX -> HKG leg gets delayed, I *should* be able to change my HKG -> DOH flight on QR and file a claim against my CC travel insurance for the change fees, right?
My understanding is that Citi trip interruption/cancellation doesn't cover normal delays. Rather, that insurance covers things like if there is a death in the family or illness or severe natural disaster that causes you to interrupt or cancel your trip. There is trip delay insurance that will cover expenses if you are delayed in reaching your final destination, but that doesn't kick in if you miss your first flight because of a delay on a completely separate ticket (although it would apply if you arrived at your destination on the first ticket 6 or 12 hours late, depending on the card you have). Also, trip delay insurance covers things like a hotel, transportation, etc. (and there's usually a limit of $500 per person or something like that).

In any event, all travel-related insurance on Citi cards is going away on Sep 22, so the issue won't be relevant anymore quite soon.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:17 pm

Any document reference we can give to agents? I mean if we're just going to say "oneworld Reaccommodations – Separate Tickets" agents are going to read the Saleslink same PNR/AA to non-AA version back to us aren't they?
enpremiere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.