Upgrade process when change of gauge?

Old Sep 2, 19, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Upgrade process when change of gauge?

Does anyone know how a change from a 787-8 to 787-9 is normally handled with the increase in J cabin and decrease in W cabin? Assuming Premium Economy is full do they normally look at the upgrade list to see who requested a premium economy to business upgrade first, or do they handle op ups before looking at the upgrade list?

Today (Sept 1st) on AA132 from DFW to DUB there were people upgraded by surprise but no one on the upgrade list was showing as upgraded. I was #1 on the list and with 9 available seats (according to the lounge agent) I was hopeful of making use of a SWU to upgrade from premium economy to business (and the lounge agent thought it would definitely happen) but it wasn’t to be.

Last edited by ChrL; Sep 3, 19 at 4:13 pm Reason: Removing 0's from type per Antarius :-)
Old Sep 2, 19, 3:53 am

Programs: AA PPro Marriott Plat
my personal experience I have received OP-UP in similar instances. It is my theory they would rather provide OP-UPs to passengers versus having upset people if they get down-graded (say from W to Y)

I'd be interested for someone on the inside to provide further details

2019 AA Domestic Upgrades: 12 out of 29

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, MSP, ORD, STL, YWG, YYZ
Old Sep 2, 19, 5:36 am

It probably depends on the GAs. I was recently op-uped from PE to J on a TPAC flight with many on the upgrade list, I'm EXP. I was already in my seat before I was notified. I am surprised you weren't op-uped as an EXP in PE. I assume they probably don't wan't to jump around the upgrade list to pick out the PEs or EXPs, otherwise people would complain they were skipped. If you clear the upgrade list first there could be some Y to Js that could force an oversold W to Y, so they don't do that. There may be a technical issue that makes it difficult or time consuming to op-up someone on the upgrade list, combined with the time crunch at closing you were passed over.
Old Sep 3, 19, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
It looks like they pulled the SWU despite not upgrading me :-(

Just called them... Advantage customer support put me through to the executive platinum desk who put me back through to advantage customer support.
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ChrL View Post
It looks like they pulled the SWU despite not upgrading me :-(

Just called them... Advantage customer support put me through to the executive platinum desk who put me back through to advantage customer support.
I'd write to Customer Relations. That seems like some serious shenanigans.

Also, picking a nit, there is no 787-800 or 900. It is a 787-8 and 787-9
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
9 seats open, you're #1 on the list, others get OPUPs and for bonus points they still pulled your SWU. Wow you got the shaft big time in this case! Only thing I can think of is that those upgraded were without seats and it was easier to just assign them seats in J rather than to process upgrades then assign the now open Y/W seats to those who were without and the GA took the lazy route. I'd for sure complain, at minimum you should get your SWU back.
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
9 seats open, you're #1 on the list, others get OPUPs and for bonus points they still pulled your SWU. Wow you got the shaft big time in this case! Only thing I can think of is that those upgraded were without seats and it was easier to just assign them seats in J rather than to process upgrades then assign the now open Y/W seats to those who were without and the GA took the lazy route. I'd for sure complain, at minimum you should get your SWU back.
I would be livid. You should definitely ask for more than just getting back your SWU.

Only reasonable explanation I can think of for the scenario as described by the OP is the GA didn't realize you were in W (thought you were in Y) hence why you weren't offered the upgrade. However, given that the SWU was pulled what is more likely is that you were actually upgraded but someone else "enjoyed" your seat (could be Shena, could be an honest mistake, impossible to tell which without more info).

Search this Thread