Seeing original aircraft after Itinerary change?

Old Sep 1, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Seeing original aircraft after Itinerary change?

I have a few AA flights upcoming, and AA has made several schedule changes. The alerts clearly indicate the new departure time, but they do not indicate a change in aircraft. In all 3 recent instances, I went from J seats on a 777 to J seats on an A321 (smaller, non-lay-flat seats). The wife called this "AA pulling a fast one." Before I called, I double checked my original confirmations, and didn't see an aircraft listed. So I had to call and say "I think I was on a 777 originally, and you switched aircraft?"

Other than noting it to myself, is there a way to verify what aircraft you were originally on?
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
I have a few AA flights upcoming, and AA has made several schedule changes. The alerts clearly indicate the new departure time, but they do not indicate a change in aircraft. In all 3 recent instances, I went from J seats on a 777 to J seats on an A321 (smaller, non-lay-flat seats). The wife called this "AA pulling a fast one." Before I called, I double checked my original confirmations, and didn't see an aircraft listed. So I had to call and say "I think I was on a 777 originally, and you switched aircraft?"

Other than noting it to myself, is there a way to verify what aircraft you were originally on?
What is meant by "pulling a fast one"?? Is the original flight still in the AA schedule?
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Yes, The original flight is still there. Same flight number. Just a different aircraft. Pulling a fast one is paying extra money/miles to be in a 777 J seat and AA quietly moved us onto a 321.
Old Sep 1, 19, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Paying for J and getting J isn't a fast one. Your original reservation would have listed the aircraft and seats. Or you could have written it down at the time. Then look for a booking now on the same flight and see what it is. Or use Expert Flyer or pay for a travel agent which I do on all flights all the time
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Ent PLT
Depending on how you booked you might be able to see the aircraft type on your confirmation email. You definitely will be able to see the seats selected which can lead to the type of aircraft.

Out of curiosity, what route did this happen to you on?
Old Sep 2, 19, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Paying for J and getting J isn't a fast one.
What I believe my Canadian friend is saying is that technically aircraft/seats are never guaranteed. So while I understand your frustration, you shouldn't book a flight based on the fact it's showing one aircraft with a certain seat but rather based on departure/destination at time with a hope that the seat-type holds.

Technically AA doesn't have to do anything to accommodate you in this aircraft change. However, I have successfully in the past politely asked to move to a different flight (assuming their is one operated with your desired aircraft/seat) and said it's because of flying with small children (so more space), adjacent seats, leg injury, etc.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tommy Two Thumbs View Post
Depending on how you booked you might be able to see the aircraft type on your confirmation email. You definitely will be able to see the seats selected which can lead to the type of aircraft.

Out of curiosity, what route did this happen to you on?
I booked online and the confirmation email didn’t have the aircraft. Like you said, I was able to use the seat information and figure it out.
It's LAX-MIA on Dec 16. Our day is flexible, and AA has numerous nonstops that day. So we selected a 777 flight, which is a much nicer plane, plus it was Flagship. That cost more than the 321 flights, understandably. It's a much better experience.
I was able to easily change back to a different flight on a Flagship 777 with a quick call.

Old Sep 2, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
To the point about aircraft never being guaranteed, while that is true and understandable, the fact remains that AA charges more for flights on the 777 then they do on 321, so for them to change the aircraft and not provide a refund or even notice just seems wrong.
SouthernCross and cheaptom like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:36 am

Glad it worked out. Contrary to some statements that "J is J", there is a specific provision for this -- see here. While technically part of the international rules, the ability to cancel or reschedule due to change of equipment should also work domestically, especially with loss of a widebody as in this case.
cheaptom and AA100k like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
Glad it worked out. Contrary to some statements that "J is J", there is a specific provision for this -- see here. While technically part of the international rules, the ability to cancel or reschedule due to change of equipment should also work domestically, especially with loss of a widebody as in this case.
Thanks, yes. It all worked out. I'm a little surprised that so many people seem to accept J is J and don't even question it when AA moves them from a widebody to a standard plane/seat. The new seat they tried to foist on me was in row 1 with no overhead space. No thanks. Especially after paying extra for the lie-flats.

Also, I've read that the LAX-MIA flights around Christmas time get changed a lot. I think there were originally 4 different 777 nonstops to Miami that day, and now only 2. They are obviously condensing the unsold seats onto smaller planes instead. I can live with that, but I stick to my original point that they should let me know of an equipment downgrade.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
I booked online and the confirmation email didnít have the aircraft. Like you said, I was able to use the seat information and figure it out.
It's LAX-MIA on Dec 16. Our day is flexible, and AA has numerous nonstops that day. So we selected a 777 flight, which is a much nicer plane, plus it was Flagship. That cost more than the 321 flights, understandably. It's a much better experience.
I was able to easily change back to a different flight on a Flagship 777 with a quick call.

AA has a lot going on between MIA-LAX lately. They also have moved 2 A321T 3 class flagship aircraft to try in that market over Christmas/New Year period starting on December 18th until January 6th. You are correct, from December 4th-17th they are flying a 77W with a true flagship 3 class layout as well. To be clear for others looking at this route, the 772 that is flying before the 4th and after the 18th is NOT a Flagship flight, even though it will have lie flat for the "domestic first" service. I am glad to see AA putting more effort into premium product out of Miami, but it is a bit confusing at this point what you are getting when.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 View Post
What I believe my Canadian friend is saying is that technically aircraft/seats are never guaranteed. So while I understand your frustration, you shouldn't book a flight based on the fact it's showing one aircraft with a certain seat but rather based on departure/destination at time with a hope that the seat-type holds.

Technically AA doesn't have to do anything to accommodate you in this aircraft change. However, I have successfully in the past politely asked to move to a different flight (assuming their is one operated with your desired aircraft/seat) and said it's because of flying with small children (so more space), adjacent seats, leg injury, etc.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Actually, AA does have a policy regarding change of aircraft. You can either select new flights or get a refund.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Actually, AA does have a policy regarding change of aircraft. You can either select new flights or get a refund.
It was my understanding that the policy you point to is part of the rules for an international itinerary, not domestic. Is there somewhere where that policy is indicated as applicable to domestic itineraries?
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Edit: this one is just for international but I could have sworn I saw the same for domestic somewhere. I’ll look around.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

PENALTIES - 86 (CATEGORY 16)
4. CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS
  • (C)SCHEDULE CHANGE IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
    • (I)AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
    • (II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
    • (III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
    • (IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA OR ITS TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION.HOWEVER, THE PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
bold is mine. But if I’m reading this correctly, changing flights may result in paying the difference in fare.
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
AA changes planes as the revenue needs dictate. To that end, they are supposedly flying 2 A321T planes with three classes of service LAX- MIA in Dec. They are pulling those planes from the JFK routes out of LAX which now drop down to 10 vs 12. So while it is a narrow body, as others have said, you can check expert flyer and AA's own website will show off seats. In principle, I agree with you. I'm a tall person and when I can fly wide bodies, I do and go out of my way to.

Search this Thread