FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   No BOS-EWR Options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1985485-no-bos-ewr-options.html)

bostongirl7 Sep 1, 2019 11:01 am

No BOS-EWR Options?

I'm trying to book a trip from Boston to EWR and the AA site does not find any flights at all for the days I try. I realize I can fly to LGA or JFK, but I'm trying to get to Newark and I'd rather waste some time and pick up a couple extra segments by flying through ORD or CLT than sit in traffic. I suspect I can book it as a multi-city, but I'm curious - any idea why it won't offer me the connecting options?

nachosdelux Sep 1, 2019 11:10 am

I would book the nonstop on Jet Blue or United. No way I would take a connection to/from 2 of the most delay-prone cities.

guv1976 Sep 1, 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bostongirl7 (Post 31479647)
I'm trying to book a trip from Boston to EWR and the AA site does not find any flights at all for the days I try. I realize I can fly to LGA or JFK, but I'm trying to get to Newark and I'd rather waste some time and pick up a couple extra segments by flying through ORD or CLT than sit in traffic. I suspect I can book it as a multi-city, but I'm curious - any idea why it won't offer me the connecting options?

Have you tried booking it using the multi-city booking engine? I suspect that AA might no longer publish a BOS-EWR through-fare.

Often1 Sep 1, 2019 11:25 am

Given that UA has 12 and B6 has 6 daily frequencies on the route, both with fares in the $120-130 range and about 55 minutes in the air, the AA routings running in the $400 range and taking 5+ hours with horrible connections don't seem viable.

But, likely bookable as multi-city if you have the money to throw away. Don't forget that in 5 hours, you could take the train to Newark and have a stress-free pleasant experience.

bse118 Sep 1, 2019 11:28 am

. I realize I can fly to LGA or JFK,

You've pretty much answered your own question - AA doesn't really want people taking up seats on inefficient connecting routings over out of the way hubs when simple nonstops to nearby airports are available.

phlwookie Sep 1, 2019 2:04 pm

Amtrak is also an option, and often a better one given how delay prone EWR in particular can be. And it’s usually more comfortable as well.

JJeffrey Sep 1, 2019 2:30 pm

Agree that on the surface it may be silly but if you have the time and need the segments then a perfectly reasonable question. As mentioned above, checking EF there are no AA fares filed for BOS-EWR hence the absence of options at aa.com.

If you really want it then I would use Google Flights to force AA options and go from there.

Often1 Sep 1, 2019 3:52 pm

Threads like this are what make AA's marketing people smile. Someone willing to spend an extra half day and spend triple the money to get between two points served by air carrier and ground competitors.:eek:

bostongirl7 Sep 2, 2019 5:51 am

Ah, that makes sense -- I was trying to figure out if there was a reason they wouldn't publish it for the oddball who'd want it, and that makes sense that they'd want to redirect me to one of the more efficient routes. Thanks!

buckeyefanflyer Sep 2, 2019 7:06 am

Why would you think AA would fly this route neither are hubs.

JJeffrey Sep 2, 2019 7:48 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 31482055)
Why would you think AA would fly this route neither are hubs.

OP was not questioning why AA doesn't fly BOS-EWR. OP was questioning why no BOS-EWR fares show up at aa.com.

HiAperture Sep 2, 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31480202)
If you really want it then I would use Google Flights to force AA options and go from there.

I also see plenty of options connecting through CLT or ORD by entering BOS-EWR on Google Flights and choosing AA as your only airline. Some even as low as $125 depending what day you are looking at.

joeyE Sep 2, 2019 8:21 pm

If you want AA segments that bad, take Amtrak to Philly & then start your trip to Boston. Or take it to DC & then get 2 segments out of it..