Wiki Posts
Search

Upfare and EQD Calculations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Upfare and EQD Calculations

I have a question regarding EQDs for a recent trip. I think I should have gotten 785 EQDs but have only been given 435 EQDs. I called and asked and was told I only earn for the original ticket? Do we not get EQDs for paid difference in fare?

Every couple of weeks I get a ticket booked in discount coach and I call in to upfare it to discount business (sometimes I and sometimes D). Last ticket was MIA-DFW-IAD and back and we paid $475 for it, then I called and paid the difference so the return would be in business, I paid $415 for D fare IAH-DFW-MIA. Final cost of ticket was $890: $785.12 fare and $104.88 Taxes and Carrier imposed fees.

This is what I was given:
MIA-DFW (M) 255 EQDs
DFW-IAH (M) 52 EQDs
IAH-DFW (D) 81 EQDs
DFW-MIA (D) 47 EQDs

It seems to me I am missing 400+ EQDs, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I’ve always received EQD on the final ticket fare, pre-tax.... Not just the original ticket or the add/collect. Was there something special about the value of either the original ticket or the way you paid the add/collect fare difference? (Like a credit or something other than a usual USD credit card payment?)
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
I’ve always received EQD on the final ticket fare, pre-tax.... Not just the original ticket or the add/collect. Was there something special about the value of either the original ticket or the way you paid the add/collect fare difference? (Like a credit or something other than a usual USD credit card payment?)
Both paid with credit card (different ones) only issue was AA delay on the IAH-DFW caused me to miss my connection and I was rebooked on later flight (also in D class) . This flight posted a few days later and by itself.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I've had this happen twice out of three upfares - but I think you just need to contact them (through the Contact AAdvantage webform) and ask them to review the EQD allocation for your flights. Both times I went through this they were adjusted in 2-3 days. I suspect the person on the phone doesn't have access to enough information to give you a reliable answer.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I've had this happen twice out of three upfares - but I think you just need to contact them (through the Contact AAdvantage webform) and ask them to review the EQD allocation for your flights. Both times I went through this they were adjusted in 2-3 days. I suspect the person on the phone doesn't have access to enough information to give you a reliable answer.
Thanks for the replies. I cannot email AAdvantage CS as it says it's in a loop telling me I need to enter info I've already entered, same issue on phone and tablet. Guess I'll try to call on Tuesday.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:17 pm

As long as this wasn''t a LFBU you should get EQD for upfaring.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
As long as this wasn''t a LFBU you should get EQD for upfaring.
Not really familiar with LFBU but pretty sure that's not what it was. Called at booking about two weeks out and asked to be changed to business for the return portion of my trip. Was quoted $415 as additional fare and that's how it shows on the receipt I was emailed. Will wait until business day tomorrow and call to follow up.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) and they will be able to get it straight.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Priority Gold, National Executive
Option to purchase upgrade on the AA app.

Does the option to purchase an upgrade, that has been showing up on my bookings (through the app), apply the money minus the extra taxes, to EQD? I've tried looking for the answer in a few threads without much luck.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Called AAdvantage CS and explained the situation. Credit was adjusted this afternoon, 399 EQDs instead of the originally credited 47. A few more reedemable miles too. Gotta keep an eye on it I guess.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthewineroute
Does the option to purchase an upgrade, that has been showing up on my bookings (through the app), apply the money minus the extra taxes, to EQD? I've tried looking for the answer in a few threads without much luck.
Not sure, I would assume that if its offering you to pay the difference to J or F it would accrue EQDs based on the higher fare. However if its a discounted LBFU upgrades it would probably accrue based on your original fare paid. Maybe someone knows what fare code/class these upgrades book into.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I called today on a ticket I changed dates on and was told no EQD for change fee or fare difference.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I called today on a ticket I changed dates on and was told no EQD for change fee or fare difference.
No EQD for fare difference? That's incorrect. You don't receive for change fee, but you receive EQD for the fare you flew, which includes the fare difference.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by deeruck
No EQD for fare difference? That's incorrect. You don't receive for change fee, but you receive EQD for the fare you flew, which includes the fare difference.
I don't know, just telling you what the agent told me...supervisor actually. I received less EQD than expected and i'm $76 short of EXP requal now but they said that's how it works.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't know, just telling you what the agent told me...supervisor actually. I received less EQD than expected and i'm $76 short of EXP requal now but they said that's how it works.
I would call back and ask the pertinent department review it. That's what I did and even though the AAdvantage CS agent I spoke to said I didn't get the EQDs of the upfare, they did review it and gave them to me. Here is a quote from an email they sent me yesterday:

"We have reposted your 08/28/2019 flight from DFW to MIA based on the
eligible fare of your ticket."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.