International outbound award return paid

Old Aug 31, 19, 10:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,072
International outbound award return paid

Combining awards tickets and paid tickets domestically is easy, but when trying to do it internationally, the costs are prohibitive. If I book an award ticket on the outbound and try and buy a one way ticket for the return the prices tend to be $2,000 or more, when the paid round trip is $900.

I haven't figured out if there is a way to combing an award ticket and get the effective one way price for the return (i.e. $450).

Are there any ways around this?
deac83 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:54 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,954
No way to avoid it other than to check other airlines for lower fares. Depending on where you are going , there may be a carrier that offers decent fares
JDiver likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:10 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,907
No. It has been like this for a long time.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:24 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,244
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
Combining awards tickets and paid tickets domestically is easy, but when trying to do it internationally, the costs are prohibitive. If I book an award ticket on the outbound and try and buy a one way ticket for the return the prices tend to be $2,000 or more, when the paid round trip is $900.

I haven't figured out if there is a way to combing an award ticket and get the effective one way price for the return (i.e. $450).

Are there any ways around this?
A one way award internationally, is not a good idea unless you can find a cheap way back...........or if you are taking a transatlantic cruise......... (Done that twice, award over, ship back... and ship over, award back)
JDiver likes this.
mvoight is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,457
Not going to happen. Full service carriers put the hurt on one way international passengers. Often cheaper to book a round trip and throw away the return than book a one way.

If you're that insistent, you'll want to look at the low fare carriers like Norwegian, Eurowings, etc., for your return (assuming if its Europe).
IADCAflyer is online now  
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:00 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,954
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Not going to happen. Full service carriers put the hurt on one way international passengers. Often cheaper to book a round trip and throw away the return than book a one way.

If you're that insistent, you'll want to look at the low fare carriers like Norwegian, Eurowings, etc., for your return (assuming if its Europe).
That is very dependent upon route - some routes are fine for one way fares
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:55 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,160
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Not going to happen. Full service carriers put the hurt on one way international passengers. Often cheaper to book a round trip and throw away the return than book a one way.
This is highly destination dependent. To/from Europe then yes one way fares are exorbitant. But one ways to Asia can be had on the cheap, even on AA metal. We've even waited until the last minute for C to open up then booked.
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:56 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,072
Thanks, just wanted to see if I was missing anything. Last year we had an award ticket to Paris, took the train to London flew back from LHR on a paid ticket but booked a return to EDI and then had an award ticket back from EDI. Partially driven by the fact that I can find outbound award biz but not returns.
deac83 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,160
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
Thanks, just wanted to see if I was missing anything. Last year we had an award ticket to Paris, took the train to London flew back from LHR on a paid ticket but booked a return to EDI and then had an award ticket back from EDI. Partially driven by the fact that I can find outbound award biz but not returns.
The early 2010s were the days - AB had reasonably priced one ways to Europe, and AA would still check bags across separate tickets so we could buy a cheap one way to ORD then ORD-Europe on AB. Especially if we found J awards home, this strategy was too good to be true. Which is why it is no longer an option.
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:09 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I 35 south bound, finally stopped
Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
Posts: 904
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
This is highly destination dependent. To/from Europe then yes one way fares are exorbitant. But one ways to Asia can be had on the cheap, even on AA metal. We've even waited until the last minute for C to open up then booked.
about a year ago, got an award in J to AKL, and paid J home. This turned out cheaper than the round trip by a bunch. Flew it in March. I had to do a lot of research to get that done. Then I found out FJ flights were now lie flat NAN to LAX. So thats another option to and from that particular part of the world, especially if you want a lie flat.
boerne is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:30 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,944
There is no generalization on this point. One has to price the proposed itinerary and act accordingly.

It may well be the case that a one-way ticket departing Europe for the US will approach or exceed the cost of a round-trip. But, it may not. In the US, almost all round-trips are priced as the sum of the one-ways.

A consideration here is to purchase the redemption as always and then purchase a round-trip departing Europe and schedule the return to Europe for a date when one might fly. If it comes to pass that one does want the trip, there is a one-way to get you there. If it does not, simply no show and you are none the worse off (if the price of the ticket exceeded the one-way).
JDiver and beachfan like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:35 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,244
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
That is very dependent upon route - some routes are fine for one way fares
I agree. I found some decent one way fares, through Travelocity on FinnAir to/from Moscow.
I got a $448 one way fare (SVO-HEL-ORD-LAS) in May 2017, when BA had the major computer meltdown and couldn't be reached to rebook me, so I had to my my own ticket.
Originally I was going DME-LHR-LAS
mvoight is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:53 pm
  #13  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,514
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
Thanks, just wanted to see if I was missing anything. Last year we had an award ticket to Paris, took the train to London flew back from LHR on a paid ticket but booked a return to EDI and then had an award ticket back from EDI. Partially driven by the fact that I can find outbound award biz but not returns.
You’d have saved significant money flying into London and back from almost anywhere else on the Continent, as you paid the UK Air Passenger Duty.
JDiver is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:52 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,072
Maybe, we were DFW-CDG (J award), LHR - DFW (paid Y, cleared EVIP's), DFW -EDI (paid - cleared UG), EDI - DFW (award J).

Anything coming back with returning to EDI was more expensive at the time (i.e CDG-DFW), but that was 8 months ago when I did that.
deac83 is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:09 am
  #15  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,514
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
Maybe, we were DFW-CDG (J award), LHR - DFW (paid Y, cleared EVIP's), DFW -EDI (paid - cleared UG), EDI - DFW (award J).

Anything coming back with returning to EDI was more expensive at the time (i.e CDG-DFW), but that was 8 months ago when I did that.
Award or paid, you paid the full £156 UK Air Passenger Duty charged Business or First Class Passengers. UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)
JDiver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread