FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   No water in lavatory - and no announcement made (AA2373 DFW-SAV 31AUG19) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1985399-no-water-lavatory-no-announcement-made-aa2373-dfw-sav-31aug19.html)

tismfu Aug 31, 2019 3:48 pm

No water in lavatory - and no announcement made (AA2373 DFW-SAV 31AUG19)

Currently onboard. I wouldn’t have ventured to the lavatory had I known.

I alerted the FA, who said to me: “yeah they must not have filled the tanks.” To his credit he did offer me a water bottle to use.

Is it not standard practice to notify passengers when there’s no water? This is is a sanitation and hygiene issue. Thankfully I have hand sanitizer, but I cringe when I think of all the others before me who did not.

Uncle Nonny Aug 31, 2019 7:40 pm

Newsflash: A lot of people don't wash their hands after using the lav. Not sure what their rationale for not doing so is but it's a fact of life. Enjoy that meal on your tray table.

nancypants Aug 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 31477976)
Newsflash: A lot of people don't wash their hands after using the lav. Not sure what their rationale for not doing so is but it's a fact of life. Enjoy that meal on your tray table.

also that’s not water on the floor

(I’m assuming the rationale is half way between the now debunked “urine is sterile” argument (it isn’t) and some kind of toilet based aseptic non-touch technique. Either way, it’s disgusting, wash your hands)

Uncle Nonny Aug 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31478004)

also that’s not water on the floor

(I’m assuming the rationale is half way between the now debunked “urine is sterile” argument (it isn’t) and some kind of toilet based aseptic non-touch technique. Either way, it’s disgusting, wash your hands)

Never pass up a good opportunity to clean the mitts.

Exec_Plat Aug 31, 2019 9:39 pm

If they announce 'no water' are they required to take the entire restroom out of service?

(I live assuming I am moving though a microbiological cloud. Cause we are. Wash hands or not, the difference is immaterial.)

platbrownguy Aug 31, 2019 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 31478155)
If they announce 'no water' are they required to take the entire restroom out of service?

Maybe I have bad luck, but I have been on at least 3 AA flights in the past year (all-coach E140/45 or CRJs) that did not have water in the lav. In 2 cases, there were already individually wrapped wet-naps in the sink, in one case I asked the FA to put the wet-naps in the sink and she did and gave me two.

Spanish Aug 31, 2019 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 31478155)
Wash hands or not, the difference is immaterial.

To the contrary....handwashing is the #1 way to avoid spreading pathogens.

CDC on Hand Washing

AndyAA Aug 31, 2019 11:56 pm

I had a flight diverted once due to no water in the lavs.

Duck1981 Sep 1, 2019 2:35 am

My former girlfriend who works for a well-known airline (in that area of the world) told me that Hadj flights out of Asia are the worst with respect to hygiene

You have plenty of pax there who never have boarded an airplane or even never have left the local village before that day and do not know how to use the toilet.
She said you don't won't to see how the plane looks and she feels sorry for cleaners (in fact, some aircrafts need to be grounded for 2 days to give it a proper deep clean).

Coming back to what was said earlier, I do actually wash my hands and I am using a paper towel to touch the door handle afterwards (I know many won't wash their hands after using the loo). Actually, a point less thing when I see in what state remote controllers etc are :)

enviroian Sep 1, 2019 10:54 am

do you mean no water via the tap, no water to flush, or both?

Exec_Plat Sep 1, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Spanish (Post 31478372)
To the contrary....handwashing is the #1 way to avoid spreading pathogens.

FWIW-
Your citation is 'in a healthcare setting'.

_kurt Sep 1, 2019 11:37 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31479635)
do you mean no water via the tap, no water to flush, or both?

Most of AA's aircraft feature vacuum toilets that can flush with little to no water. I expect that this A319 was no different.