FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Schedule Change for December 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1985398-schedule-change-december-2019-a.html)

donotblink Aug 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Schedule Change for December 2019

It looks like AA has done most of it's major schedule changes through November 2019 so far (presumably because crew has to bid on their preferred flights. Does anyone know when the December changes get pushed to Sabre? Would it be this weekend? Next weekend because this weekend is a holiday?

enpremiere Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm

With the high number of operational issues cropping up in the next five days it would seem like a bad move to push the next firm-up schedule cycle until after we’ll after mid-week.

But that sort of requires foresight.

Andriyko Sep 1, 2019 2:35 am

I just received flight change notifications for December/January flights. Looks like AA did load them over this weekend.

tylerdurden4543 Sep 1, 2019 3:57 am

And interestingly the 737-800MAX is back in the rotation (for now). Will be disappointing surprise for some as widebody service MIA-ORD and back in December has gone away.

enpremiere Sep 1, 2019 7:28 am

Originally Posted by enpremiere (Post 31477960)
With the high number of operational issues cropping up in the next five days it would seem like a bad move to push the next firm-up schedule cycle until after we’ll after mid-week.

But that sort of requires foresight.

Well that post had just as much accuracy to it as a pledge never to lose $ again in the airline business.

Yep, hurricane be d*****ed - let's firm up the schedule this weekend and only the hardiest callers will get through.

Makes it harder to notice the 7M8s.

donotblink Sep 1, 2019 12:55 pm

Christmas definitely came early for me:

I had to call in twice but I got a LGA/BOS/ORD/EGE itinerary changed to a direct JFK/EGE on a more favorable date. I paid $416 for the original flights which was the only way to get the Q inventory I needed. The new flight I picked would have been more than $1,600! The first agent I talked to said “we don’t do co-terminals anymore” and wouldn’t change anything ex-LGA to ex-JFK but the 2nd agent had no problem doing it. The ticket is currently stuck in ticket pending, looks like it’s because the agent attempted the reissue in Q inventory and only full Y is available on the flight I wanted, but it should ticket.

cmtlatitudes Sep 1, 2019 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 (Post 31478751)
And interestingly the 737-800MAX is back in the rotation (for now). Will be disappointing surprise for some as widebody service MIA-ORD and back in December has gone away.

The MAX popping up was first thing noticed this morning when checking a flight I was about to book over the Holidays to SVD. There had been no MAX's on this route and now popping up on the initial DCA-MIA leg. Unfortunately there is only one flight early enough to make the MIA-SVD on my day to fly. And the MIA-SVD flight only runs twice a week. I can also connect through BGI, which run twice daily, but these flights have been riddled with MAX's, so I had avoided them from the start. Plus an additional connection with LIAT or SVG air is needed from BGI, vice the SVD airport where I can take a short ferry to Bequia.

Why are MAX's being added to new flights? Does American legitimately believe they will have a "go" by the end of the year? It's hard to fathom.

I didn't book yet given this new development, although I planned to today. First, I don't really want to fly the MAX, probably ever. But more so I am worried about cancelled flights between Christmas and New Years, with the cost of accommodations in this time frame, even with trip insurance. I guess I should probably have more confidence AA wouldn't completely cancel a flight at the last minute during Prime holiday vacation season, that only runs twice a week??? But I am wary.

jmj9905 Sep 1, 2019 4:04 pm

donotblink thanks for the heads up. I did have a change in my Dec. flights gcm/clt/dca.

cmtlatitudes Sep 2, 2019 10:01 am

@jmj9905: Just FYI, if you don't mind cheating on AA, United has weekly nonstop flights to GCM during high season out of IAD. Liberal definition of 'high season' also to GCM -- the United nonstop starts the first week of November. Daily non-stops during the peak holiday weeks in December.

It's painful for me to go to IAD, because I'm a 5-10 minute cab ride from DCA. But I usually do the United non-stops out of Dulles during high season to GCM, PLS, STT, etc. When I can line the dates up easily for the non-stops. The MAX being added to the equation -- on a spot check seems like a good number of DCA feeder flights to CLT and MIA are slated for MAXs -- is added incentive to make the trudge out to IAD. Especially now that United FF miles no longer expire. (Sorry AA --- it's not personal!)

jmj9905 Sep 2, 2019 11:52 am

cmtlatitudes thanks. I am aware of that in fact the friends we travel with use that flight. I am tied to aa completely. As much as people complain I still manage to get a lot of premium cabin awards for international flights. As an example Mrs JMJ9905 and I are flying BA F iad/lhr/lis and ;return in FEB. Then in Aprila we are flying BA F iad/lhr/jmb. Return on that trip is F on EY jnb/auh/iad. So as you can see I am quite happy with AA awards. YMMV

iadisgreat Sep 2, 2019 3:17 pm

Twitter just let me switch from connecting to non-stop for my paid J Christmas trip to TPA no questions asked after the weekend schedule change moved our departure and arrival times all over the place. 👍

OskiBear Sep 2, 2019 7:11 pm

My late December LAX-JFK 6am nonstop must have been deleted because I was switched to a red-eye the previous evening. Called and was immediately connected to an agent who switched me to a nonstop later in the morning - something I wasn’t originally willing to pay for. So, this actually worked out pretty well for me.

cedric Sep 2, 2019 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere (Post 31479124)
Well that post had just as much accuracy to it as a pledge never to lose $ again in the airline business.

Yep, hurricane be d*****ed - let's firm up the schedule this weekend and only the hardiest callers will get through.

Makes it harder to notice the 7M8s.

Why would they want to continue to sell the old schedule and have more people to re-accommodate? That doesn't make sense.

linglingfool Sep 2, 2019 8:14 pm

For plans where I have some flexibility that are more than 3 months out, I'll book on AA knowing there will almost always be a change that lets me switch.

enpremiere Sep 3, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by cedric (Post 31484065)
Why would they want to continue to sell the old schedule and have more people to re-accommodate? That doesn't make sense.

Because they either know something that other 7M8 operators don't know (really unlikely) or just being over-aggressive/optimistic and we'll see a significant aircraft update to swap the 7M8s back out of the schedule in December.

WN's more conservative early 2020 approach at least doesn't involve as much schedule thrashing while UL's tepid response looks like 7M8s don't to be loaded until December 19th.