5 years ago today - RIP legacy AA catering

Old Aug 31, 19, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
5 years ago today - RIP legacy AA catering

As we celebrate this Labor Day weekend, itís worth remembering that 5 years ago today was the last day for legacy AA catering. Gone were baked on board biscuits and cookies. Gone was the beautiful AA China, black tray cloths, and overall edible food.
Replaced by stale biscuits, inedible meals, and disgusting cookies. While many of the negative changes were eventually restored, many were not. And AAís catering largely remains a disaster.

I welcome all to post their pictures of LAA meals. I donít have any, but wish I did.

RIP, we remember.
AAway and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
And just like 5 years ago - I don't fly any airline for their food.

Meh.
Old Aug 31, 19, 6:01 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Right, rather than remember something as ridiculous as this, I prefer to remember what happened 18 years ago, just after Labor Day, that took away some fellow crew on both United and American, not to mention a few thousand citizens.....But that's ok, you keep missing your cookies and biscuits.
joeyE and DataPlumber like this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
<redacted>

Anyway, back to the topic: When I switched from UA to AA eight years ago, almost every change was a positive one for me. Two that I remember fondly are (1) biscuits for breakfast (which I miss since moving from the East Coast to California 20 years ago), and (2) Diet Dr. Pepper on the drink cart. Those were good times.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 3, 19 at 9:17 am Reason: Redacted meta
Old Aug 31, 19, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
I always wonder why people who don't care about a thread feel the need to poast that they don't care about a thread. Why not post in a thread you do care about?
Because it's a discussion board? That's what people do on discussion boards - discuss things.

You could frame that question in the opposite way: Why post if all you want is agreement?
Antarius and Andriyko like this.

Last edited by bse118; Aug 31, 19 at 9:00 pm
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
The changes to the flatware and china was well before 5 years. That happened under Horton - and frankly, it was an upgrade from the previous needlessly large coffee cups that didnt fit on anything.
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I didn't fly first class 5 years ago and I don't fly it now.
Boohoo.
Even if I did its a meal on a plane, captive audience. No need to provide a high quality meal.
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976 View Post
And AAís catering largely remains a disaster.
Quite unfortunate. I wasn't living in the US at the 5 years ago, too bad I missed out...

Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
No need to provide a high quality meal.
And yet many world-class (and not-so-world-class) airlines do...

As someone echoed upthread, I don't fly airlines for the food. But I've had many fine experiences in the air, and American Airlines could certainly up their game!
Is it simply the domestic market, with so few competitors with "domestic first?"
Is it the complementary upgrade game, where so few patrons are buying F outright?
I think it's a combination of both. Kind of like shooting the frogs in the barrel...
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
Right, rather than remember something as ridiculous as this, I prefer to remember what happened 18 years ago, just after Labor Day, that took away some fellow crew on both United and American, not to mention a few thousand citizens.....But that's ok, you keep missing your cookies and biscuits.
Well letís just shut down this entire site then, if we might as well not discuss anything because 9/11.
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Well letís just shut down this entire site then, if we might as well not discuss anything because 9/11.
#rudygiuliani
SJCFlyerLG and Spanish like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
and what relevance has one with the other? 2 very different things happening at very different times. Most people are capable of remembering more than one event
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
And just like 5 years ago - I don't fly any airline for their food.

Meh.
So you'd be totally ok if AA eliminated meals entirely in premium cabins? After all, no one cares right? So why even bother? Clearly meals in intl F are optional anyway if you get lucky enough.
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:51 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
Just waiting for someone to be called a Nazi to complete the trifecta. 9/11? Really? In an airplane meal thread?
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
So you'd be totally ok if AA eliminated meals entirely in premium cabins? After all, no one cares right? So why even bother? Clearly meals in intl F are optional anyway if you get lucky enough.

That's quite a nonsensical jump from what I said.

But I buy airline tickets for a transport service not a dining service. As a actual counterfactual that is related to the thread: intra-Euro Business offers nice meals in a coach seat. Give me AA's domestic F over that product any day.

Plus, I buy exclusively Y and W tickets. So, no, I don't factor in F meals in my purchasing decisions.

Last edited by bse118; Sep 1, 19 at 8:21 am
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976 View Post
As we celebrate this Labor Day weekend, itís worth remembering that 5 years ago today was the last day for legacy AA catering. Gone were baked on board biscuits and cookies. Gone was the beautiful AA China, black tray cloths, and overall edible food.
Replaced by stale biscuits, inedible meals, and disgusting cookies. While many of the negative changes were eventually restored, many were not. And AAís catering largely remains a disaster.

I welcome all to post their pictures of LAA meals. I donít have any, but wish I did.

RIP, we remember.
As I recall AA catering it went into a free fall under Arpey and then Horton restored it - not to the glory days or the 80s and 90s but to where it was probably the best of the very average big 3. I think the move was done in part to try and build loyalty and morale to find the US takeover. I'm not sure if AA had fended off US if it wouldn't have downgraded the quality to where it is today. It seems the AA strategy vs. DL in domestic F is more generous footprint for meals but lower quality.

Search this Thread