AA Upgrade list on another carrier’s ticket

Old Aug 30, 19, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
AA Upgrade list on another carrier’s ticket

Had a strange experience today. Booked Premier Economy on Cathay Pacific using my AA FF number with the first and last leg on American Airlines metal. Itinerary showed up on my account @ the American Airlines website showing that upgrades had been requested on the two American Airlines flights ( I’m EXP). Automatically upgraded on the first AA leg about 48 hours before departure. Cathay Pacific kindly upgraded me to business on their last leg from Hong Kong to JFK. Checked the upgrade list on a AA Mobile app when I landed at JFK & my name was not on the list for the final AA leg. Called the executive platinum desk, I was told by the agent who answered that because I had booked it through Cathay Pacific that an AA agent would need to manually add my name to the list at the airport. This despite the fact that when I called the executive platinum desk, the automated system said “ I see you've requested an upgrade on your next flight”. An agent at the flagship lounge confirmed I was not on the upgrade list but added me. Never had this problem before, but I’ve also always been notified of an upgrade a day or two before the AA legs. Did the system just have a hiccup or is this the way it supposed to work?

And another thing happened in JFK as well. I couldn’t retrieve a mobile boarding pass for the last AA leg, so I went to the kiosk and printed one out but it didn’t show TSA Precheck but it did have my FF# and status. When the agent at the lounge added my name to the upgrade list he printed out a new boarding pass and it had TSA pre-check on it. Strange.
Old Aug 30, 19, 2:30 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by mastertrust View Post

And another thing happened in JFK as well. I couldn’t retrieve a mobile boarding pass for the last AA leg, so I went to the kiosk and printed one out but it didn’t show TSA Precheck but it did have my FF# and status. When the agent at the lounge added my name to the upgrade list he printed out a new boarding pass and it had TSA pre-check on it. Strange.
Remember, despite what many think, TSA Pre-check is NOT guaranteed even with a Trusted Traveler number!
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mastertrust View Post
Had a strange experience today. Booked Premier Economy on Cathay Pacific using my AA FF number with the first and last leg on American Airlines metal. Itinerary showed up on my account @ the American Airlines website showing that upgrades had been requested on the two American Airlines flights ( I’m EXP). Automatically upgraded on the first AA leg about 48 hours before departure. Cathay Pacific kindly upgraded me to business on their last leg from Hong Kong to JFK. Checked the upgrade list on a AA Mobile app when I landed at JFK & my name was not on the list for the final AA leg. Called the executive platinum desk, I was told by the agent who answered that because I had booked it through Cathay Pacific that an AA agent would need to manually add my name to the list at the airport. This despite the fact that when I called the executive platinum desk, the automated system said “ I see you've requested an upgrade on your next flight”. An agent at the flagship lounge confirmed I was not on the upgrade list but added me. Never had this problem before, but I’ve also always been notified of an upgrade a day or two before the AA legs. Did the system just have a hiccup or is this the way it supposed to work?

From your description, it seems you booked a CX ticket that included codeshare flights on AA, and you used you AA frequent flyer number. Is that right?

If so, I believe prior policy has been that you can't upgrade the AA flights on a CX ticket using your AA frequent flyer benefits. With EXP upgrade requests now being "automated," it's possible you could get domestic upgrades that way, but I'm surprised to hear a lounge agent placed you on the upgrade list, given that you were traveling on a CX ticket.

Would be nice to know whether an official policy has changed -- from the quoted post, it appears both the EXP agent and lounge agent felt that placing someone on the list at the airport was the proper thing to do (despite it being a CX ticket).
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I believe you have to be on an AA-marketed and AA-operated flight, based on the fine print on AA.com: "Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights". See https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp.

If this was a CX ticket booked under CX flight numbers for the AA legs, the AA legs were CX-marketed and thus not eligible for upgrades, unless I'm misreading the fine print. If this was a CX ticket yet the AA flights were booked under AA flight numbers (CX can sell tickets on AA flights per the interline agreement, even if there isn't a codeshare), the AA legs were AA-marketed and thus eligible for upgrades. How exactly was the ticket issued?

And, AA.com is sometimes wrong. I had a flight a few weeks ago show as being "upgraded" when it fact it was not. Somehow the web site showed my seat on an already completed leg for an upcoming leg. It was strange and clearly a bug. The programming leaves much to be desired.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
The itinerary was booked on Cathay Pacific’s Website, showing American Airlines flight numbers for the connecting flights in the US, and Cathay Pacific flight numbers for the international legs. (No code shares) This is a fairly regular process for me, and I’ve never before had any problems with upgrades for flights on American Airlines metal. When I book the flights I use my American Airlines frequent flyer number. The difference this time was that I’m usually upgraded on the AA flights one or two days before the flight, this time I was not. And once again, when I called the executive platinum desk, the automated system recognize my phone number and said it saw that I had requested an upgrade on the upcoming flight. But no agent, or the AA mobile app showed me on the list.

As for pre-check, I agree that it’s not guaranteed. What was strange is I had two boarding passes issued by American Airlines for the same flight and seat, one showing pre-check, one not. Both issued within about an hour of each other.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
BP Pre-Check indication

Couple weeks ago, my BP was rejected at a Pre-Check counter. I never look at it but he handed it back and sure enough, it didn't say Pre-Check. I was panicked cause I was late for a flight and I would have had to go to a different terminal for regular security (was a PHL-C) but I checked the mobile BP and it was there. Return BP was fine, no issues.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
OP's issue happens to me every so often when connecting to AA domestic flights from a OAL operated first flight, when I check with in the OAL (and upgrades have not cleared in advance on the AA legs)

My suspicion - based on no knowledge - is that it has to do with how the OAL agent processes check-in, and that the upgrade requests fall off and/or don't get transferred to the airport list.

Usually reprinting the BP at an AA kiosk after arrival from the OAL leg results in being back on the upgrade list.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat , MVP Gold and Whatever Amex Plat gives me lol
Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
Remember, despite what many think, TSA Pre-check is NOT guaranteed even with a Trusted Traveler number!
actually i used to think that but its usually a small mistake on the ticket and the twitter team on the TSA page can point out exactly why you didn't get it. my most common error is when i swap the month and day of my birthday because its reversed in every other country in the world but not here in the states.
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
In practice this is handled at the metal detector random selection, not at the boarding pass level. If it's not on the boarding pass, it's more likely due to something being off in the account than having it intentionally not be assigned.

Search this Thread