Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2 AA flights out of same airport in one day due to last minute travel change. Donít

2 AA flights out of same airport in one day due to last minute travel change. Donít

Old Aug 30, 19, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum

I have personal roundtrip travel on AA booked with my family AUS->LAX. My company needs me to cut short this travel and on my previously planned return day instead of flying back to AUS, Iíve been booked LAX->DCA also on AA. Company wonít touch my personal booking.

So basically I have 2 flights scheduled out of LAX with AA on the same day (family return flight and just-me unplanned business booking).

I called AA and asked what will happen if I take the LAX->DCA flight and no-show for the 3-hour later return LAX->AUS flight that my family will take. She said everything will work out Ė when I board LAX->DCA, my LAX->AUS return ticket will cancel but my familyís return flight to AUS will not and theyíll keep the seat selection/no baggage fee from my PLT status. The agent discouraged me from trying to rebook my personal travel given the extra cost for no benefit.

Does the agentís advice sound right to people whoíve had experienced with this? My wife is going to be very unhappy if she gets stranded in LAX with two toddlers!
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:19 am

The main risk here is that AA has systems that look for conflicting flights and may decide that since it's impossible for you to simultaneously in the air to fly LAX-DCA and also flying LAX-AUS, one of the tickets is "impossible". This often results in one of the tickets being cancelled. Unfortunately, I think the only real way to avoid this is to have your company change your LAX-AUS return to fly to LAX-DCA. If they're not willing to do this, make them aware that there's a risk that the ticket that they have booked may be cancelled by AA.

Once you have flown your outbound to LAX, this is pretty easy to resolve. Just call AA, have them split them off from the reservation with the rest of your family and cancel your ticket. Then there won't be any conflict with the LAX-DCA flight anymore, and everything from that point on will go normally.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
You can also remove your aadvantage number from one of the reservations which would make it hard for the system to detect the overlapping bookings.
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Thanks all for the info!
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:51 am

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by lightbulbs View Post
You can also remove your aadvantage number from one of the reservations which would make it hard for the system to detect the overlapping bookings.
Don't count on this working, AA has many more checks than just AAdvantage number. I'd just call in and see the cost to change your return to DC and ask for reimbursement from your office.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Why not simply cancel the flight you are not taking?
Assuming this isn't some odd discount round trip fare (Many domestic roundtrips are just the same price the same as if purchased as one ways), there is no need to wait for the outbound. If each direction is more than $200, you could get money back
If you don't do anything, the wrong trip could be canceled.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lightbulbs View Post
This is incorrect and has been for 5+ years. AA agressively matches "impossible" tickets and cancels one or both, sometimes without notice.

When the change is for a work-related reason, simply have the changes made and pay the fees necessary, presumably paid for or reimbursed by the employer.

Search this Thread