Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passport Info Needed at Online Check In-Redundant?

Old Aug 30, 19, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold

So my passport is saved in my and my son's FF profile. The trip is linked to my FF# and available in the app. So why everytime when traveling international it doesn't pre-populate the passport field on check in? At least just display it and ask to confirm the number? Instead its just blank and requires me to dig out my passport usually somewhere I don't have access to it just to check in... Am I doing something wrong?
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:31 am

Sometimes it pre-populates for me, sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps as an identity check, perhaps to help make sure you can find your passport, perhaps AA's IT randomness.
BlatheringPenguin and MorganB like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
Sometimes it pre-populates for me, sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps as an identity check, perhaps to help make sure you can find your passport, perhaps AA's IT randomness.
Yup, there's little rhyme or reason to when/how my passport is examined or the info needs to be re-entered vs. just confirmed. Something changed in the past year that has made additional gate checks of my passport more frequent (though not absolutely always), including even on domestic legs following an international leg.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin View Post
Yup, there's little rhyme or reason to when/how my passport is examined or the info needs to be re-entered vs. just confirmed. Something changed in the past year that has made additional gate checks of my passport more frequent (though not absolutely always), including even on domestic legs following an international leg.
Indeed, this is a bit of a head-scratcher when using OLCI via web or app channels as a passport scan is sometimes required following a "DO NOT BOARD" warning at the gate if a recheck isn't completed.
Old Aug 30, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, US, DL, CO
They check my passport every trip and that’s going back a year or so now, probably ten trips at least. I remember the first time it happened, the agent gave me a reason but I can’t recall what it was but it was clear that I needed to get my passport cleared and it sounded like a permanent situation. When I travel next week, I’ll ask again and find out why and post back unless someone else posts the answer before then.
Old Aug 30, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin View Post
... including even on domestic legs following an international leg.
I had this also, already back in the US, connecting domestic-domestic, and the GA said the computer told her she was required to see my passport. Makes no sense at all.
Old Aug 30, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by northernlights1 View Post
So my passport is saved in my and my son's FF profile. The trip is linked to my FF# and available in the app. So why everytime when traveling international it doesn't pre-populate the passport field on check in? At least just display it and ask to confirm the number? Instead its just blank and requires me to dig out my passport usually somewhere I don't have access to it just to check in... Am I doing something wrong?
1. People get new passports with new numbers between booking and flying. Thus, they want the current number in their system.

2. They want to make sure you have your hands on your passport before leaving for the airport.

Search this Thread