Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boarding priority isn't inherited for pax on same PNR?

Old Aug 30, 19, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold

Traveling with my non-status wife later today. Noticed my BP is group 2 (I'm EXP) and she is group 4 (we are both in MCE).

Isn't boarding priority the same for everyone in a PNR?

Doesn't matter as I'm in a wheelchair and preboard, but it seemed curious so I wanted to ask.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
No its not inherited on the boarding pass (much to my surprise also) but the elite member can have them board at the same time without issue.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yep, "She's with me" works 99% of the time. But no, companions have never inherited the same boarding group as the elite member even on the same PNR.
fmastr likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Yep, "She's with me" works 99% of the time. But no, companions have never inherited the same boarding group as the elite member even on the same PNR.
I don't think that's the whole story. My no-status SO receives Group 4 on her boarding pass, while I have Group 2 and my GLD son receives Group 4. I've not been able to work out why she is given Group 4.

This is similar to the OP. MCE wouldn't explain Group 4. The AA website shows that as Group 5.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck View Post
I don't think that's the whole story. My no-status SO receives Group 4 on her boarding pass, while I have Group 2 and my GLD son receives Group 4. I've not been able to work out why she is given Group 4.

This is similar to the OP. MCE wouldn't explain Group 4. The AA website shows that as Group 5.
My wife also has the Citi AA Platinum which IIRC has priority boarding privileges. Could that be it?
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Interesting, almost like they are giving her the lowest elite boarding group.
Old Aug 30, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Never had a problem with boarding past with my wife who is now EXP with AA any other OW airlines
she or he is with me has worked for me 100% of the time
of course now she is EXP she always tries to board before me
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
Never had a problem with boarding past with my wife who is now EXP with AA any other OW airlines
she or he is with me has worked for me 100% of the time
of course now she is EXP she always tries to board before me
Yep, I agree that you can board together. It's AA, you can basically board whenever you want anyway. There's rarely enforcement.
fotographer and T. Sanderson like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Yep, I agree that you can board together. It's AA, you can basically board whenever you want anyway. There's rarely enforcement.
I have a funny story from the other week where I was in a bad mood and tried to board with Group 1 - they actually scanned my BP, then chased me down the jetway, unloaded me, and made me wait until Group 2. I made a snarky comment about how it was nice they enforced it the one time I didn't wait my turn and they were not very plussed. I'm not proud of it, but figured everyone else does it, why not me for once.

Lesson learned to just wait my turn AND not worry about what other people are doing.
deeruck and gateH15 like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
My wife also has the Citi AA Platinum which IIRC has priority boarding privileges. Could that be it?
all non status companions receive group 4 boarding which is still a priority group.
He/she is with me works 99% of the time.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:05 pm

As a data point, we missed a connection earlier in the month, and the system automagically rebooked us.

On our original flight, we were both group 4, presumably because I bought the tickets with my Citi AA Executive card.

On the rebooked flight, I was 4 and my companion was 6. I'm guessing we lost the credit card link somehow, and the new groups were status-based (I'm gold and she isn't)?
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
I've boarded with a higher elite coworker (not linked PNR) in the past, by them simply saying "he's with me" as others have mentioned. Thursday I (Group 4) was traveling with my boss (Group 3) and he said "come on, you can board with me." One person ended up between us in line and he didn't notice, nor did he look back and tell the GA I was with him anyways. I pointed at him walking up the jetway and told the GA "I'm with him but he forgot to tell you", fortunately she believed me. As well she should, because I am not a good liar... To top it off I had the wrong boarding pass up and had to change it quickly after the machine beeped at me. Thankfully it all worked out, it would have been embarrassing for me to get kicked out of the line, as I never try to board early and those who do irk me quite a bit. I think I will decline my boss' invitation should I find myself in that position again, not much gained going from 4 to 3 anyways...

Search this Thread