Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Checked Bags HKG -> DFW -> CUN (to merge DFW Guide)

Old Aug 29, 19, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite

I'm flying HKG -> DFW -> CUN soon. Do I reclaim my bag in Dallas to go through customs, or does my bag go straight through to CUN? Do I have the option to short check to DFW so I can put Duty free liquids in my checked bag before going through the TSA check? My connection time is three hours and five minutes.
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
I'm flying HKG -> DFW -> CUN soon. Do I reclaim my bag in Dallas to go through customs, or does my bag go straight through to CUN? Do I have the option to short check to DFW so I can put Duty free liquids in my checked bag before going through the TSA check? My connection time is three hours and five minutes.
edited as given wrong advice

Last edited by asnovici; Aug 29, 19 at 1:15 pm
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
You will need to collect your bags in DFW so no need for short check request
Is that true when it's international to international?
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold MR Gold, Avis CHM
I flew HKG-DFW-YYZ in 2018 and my bags were sent directly to YYZ without having to go through customs. Announcements were made in the secure baggage area that passengers continuing on to Mexico or Canada would have their bags transferred and they would not be arriving on the belt. It was a very quick process to use the Global Entry kiosk and then exit the baggage area.
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you request ITI, you’ll not see your checked baggage until CUN. If you have lots of time for your connection, request they don’t check ITI and if they agree you can recover your bags for Customs and recheck - but it won’t do you any good if you plan to buy liquids at Dallas, as the Check-in facility is as you depart Customs, or at the AA check-in counter if you prefer, unless you’re placing liquids you’ve purchased at HKG (are HKG authorities allowing DF liquids to be carried aboard? Are they delivered to the gate or onboard?)

Search this Thread