FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   American did me right today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1984973-american-did-me-right-today.html)

joeyE Aug 28, 2019 5:21 pm

American did me right today

We took a long weekend from CLT-AUS earlier this summer.
4-hour delay preceding an ultimately cancelled flight, checked bags misconnected & continuously mishandled on the rebooked flight,
checked bags got soaked & we ended up with some water-damaged clothes, etc. Usual stuff we’ve all experienced this summer.

We submitted a claim for new clothes & stuff. While I made the delayed-bag claim within 45 days, we apparently made the mistake of not reporting the water damage within 24 hours.

A friendly AA baggage rep called me to explain the 24-hour rule & to watch my e-mail.
AA ended up reimbursing us for the full amount requested and also included 2 nominal vouchers (less then I requested) for our troubles (presumably the cancelled flights).

I’m not saying AA went above & beyond nor should they be celebrated for simply making us whole,
but as much hell as I give them when they butcher something, I’ll tip my cap when they make it right.

davie355 Aug 28, 2019 6:00 pm

The only hat tip American deserves here is for waiving the 24-hour water damage rule. For everything else you've already tipped your hat when you forked over your credit card to pay for the ticket.

MarkOK Aug 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31467935)
The only hat tip American deserves here is for waiving the 24-hour water damage rule. For everything else you've already tipped your hat when you forked over your credit card to pay for the ticket.

But when our expectations are low, it seems like a win when they actually do something they are supposed to do.

Earlier this summer, the cargo door on my E140 jet wouldn't close when we were about to pull out, and then they couldn't get it open either. Plane couldn't take off with passengers, my bag was too big to get through whatever trap door there is from the cabin and thus stuck in the hold, and I got rebooked on the next flight 4 hours later, which got me a new connection, that was then delayed (due to weather), and altogether I arrived 7 hours late than my original itinerary without the bag that had most all our stuff. It took them two full days to 1. ferry the plane to DFW, 2. free the bag, and 3. send it to my destination and get it to my hotel. I submitted a general complaint about not being given food vouchers and the rather long extra delay from the maintenance issue, and a reimbursement request for ~$100 worth of clothes between my wife and I since we arrived without a fresh change of clothes. I was rather surprised to get 7500 points (for both wife and me) from the complaint, and for my clothes reimbursement to get approved and a check sent. Not sure why, but I swore they were going to somehow blow it all off....

no1cub17 Aug 28, 2019 6:46 pm

No doubt about it - every now and then, AA definitely gets it right. My most recent flight in F the FA was absolutely stellar, some of the best service I've ever had from a FA regardless of airline. I definitely made sure to write into AA about him.

Exec_Plat Aug 28, 2019 6:48 pm

any and all damage (not just water) is to be reported within 24hrs, no?

spongenotbob Aug 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 31467987)
But when our expectations are low, it seems like a win when they actually do something they are supposed to do.

The gAAslighting is complete! Compare the symptoms: https://www.thrivetalk.com/gaslighting/

Seriously, why keep spending your money to get abused? DL / UA / WN / AS / B6 are all much better.

MarkOK Aug 28, 2019 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 31468075)

The gAAslighting is complete! Compare the symptoms: https://www.thrivetalk.com/gaslighting/

Seriously, why keep spending your money to get abused? DL / UA / WN / AS / B6 are all much better.

I used to fly predominately UA -- when I lived elsewhere, because they always had good prices, good flight schedules, and I always felt treated perfectly fine, though that was all in the span of 10-20 years ago.

Now, I live 10 miles from an airport only served by AA with flight times that work rather well, local check in and gate agents I know and actually like (as well as their TSA staff), free parking, and quick security, which is super convenient. Other airports are 80 miles away, which isn't terrible except I usually need to take an early flight and getting up at 2-3 AM to make a 5-6AM flight is horrible. AA has to really screw up a few times before I give up my small airport and AA that goes with it. And honestly, I give AA and especially Aadvantage plenty of snark when they deserve it, but I usually still get where I need to go without serious issue, so there is probably a lot of abuse I am still willing to take...

no1cub17 Aug 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 31468379)
I used to fly predominately UA -- when I lived elsewhere, because they always had good prices, good flight schedules, and I always felt treated perfectly fine, though that was all in the span of 10-20 years ago.

Now, I live 10 miles from an airport only served by AA with flight times that work rather well, local check in and gate agents I know and actually like (as well as their TSA staff), free parking, and quick security, which is super convenient. Other airports are 80 miles away, which isn't terrible except I usually need to take an early flight and getting up at 2-3 AM to make a 5-6AM flight is horrible. AA has to really screw up a few times before I give up my small airport and AA that goes with it. And honestly, I give AA and especially Aadvantage plenty of snark when they deserve it, but I usually still get where I need to go without serious issue, so there is probably a lot of abuse I am still willing to take...

OT but Stillwater was a great add by AA. Glad the service is doing well. This OU alum is happy for y'all!

joeyE Aug 28, 2019 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 31468051)
any and all damage (not just water) is to be reported within 24hrs, no?

Exactly. I fly a lot but I don’t get damage a lot so I had no idea. I thought damage was only about the luggage itself. I learned that it’s also about the contents.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 31468075)

Bc I live in a fortress hub city & fly twice a month. I will pay extra for the benefits of nonstops.

Quincy12 Aug 29, 2019 3:26 am

I also don't have idea a lot about it.

UAflyer93 Aug 29, 2019 7:14 am

That sounds like an AWFUL travel experience.

joeyE Aug 29, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by UAflyer93 (Post 31469590)
That sounds like an AWFUL travel experience.

It was. Got to CLT at 4 for a 7pm Friday flight. Flight cancelled around 10, stayed around an hour trying to jump on other flights to no avail.
6AM flight the next morning through DFW to AUS. Bags got rained on overnight, then bags went through ORD & misconnected there.
Didn't actually see our bags until Sunday afternoon. Sucks how that becomes the overriding theme of a little weekend getaway,
but when you read blogs you realize aviation is a big system with millions of moving parts and way worse horror stories then mine. All about perspective.