Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change fee for cancelling flight from Asia to Mexico (routing through US)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming one-way, business class, nonrefundable flight (not award flight) originating in Asia and ending in Mexico with a routing through the US. My plans have changed, and I may need to cancel the flight.

There has already been one change to the flight resulting in a one hour earlier arrival in Mexico. I believe there would need to be a two hour time change in the flight for me to receive a full refund?

I would like to cancel this ticket and receive a voucher to use in the future. How does this work? I hit the "cancel" button on the AA website, and all it said is there may be a change fee, but it doesn't say how much. In the past, I paid a fee and then had the value of the ticket to use for one year.

I wanted to sort out my options first before calling AA, so I'm hoping someone here can help.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
I have an upcoming one-way, business class, nonrefundable flight (not award flight) originating in Asia and ending in Mexico with a routing through the US. My plans have changed, and I may need to cancel the flight.

There has already been one change to the flight resulting in a one hour earlier arrival in Mexico. I believe there would need to be a two hour time change in the flight for me to receive a full refund?

I would like to cancel this ticket and receive a voucher to use in the future. How does this work? I hit the "cancel" button on the AA website, and all it said is there may be a change fee, but it doesn't say how much. In the past, I paid a fee and then had the value of the ticket to use for one year.

I wanted to sort out my options first before calling AA, so I'm hoping someone here can help.
Same thing as in the past, if you cancel it you will have whatever value remaining after the change fee to use on another ticket within a year.

Keep in mind that in most cases the country of origin must remain the same, so assuming this was one of the HKG-Mexico tickets, whatever ticket you book in the future to use the remaining value will also have to originate in HKG.

Unless you have a copy of the fare rules then you'll need to call AA to see what the change fee is.

It's unlikely they'd give you a free cancel and refund based on a 1 hour earlier arrival, however you could always ask. If some of your other connections were messed up you could also try for just a date change to some random date way off in the future, then hope for a bigger schedule change that would allow a free cancel and refund.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Yes, it is the HKG-Mexico route. Because of the current happenings in Hong Kong, I am getting a little nervous and want to make other arrangements.

Is that a new rule that the remaining value must be the same itinerary as the canceled one? Maybe I am mixed up, but I thought in the past, the remaining value could be used to purchase any AA ticket??
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is the HKG-Mexico route. Because of the current happenings in Hong Kong, I am getting a little nervous and want to make other arrangements.

Is that a new rule that the remaining value must be the same itinerary as the canceled one? Maybe I am mixed up, but I thought in the past, the remaining value could be used to purchase any AA ticket??
It's not a rule that the new ticket must be the same itinerary, just that the country of origin must remain the same. It's nothing new and has been around for years. Most US based pax that purchase US originating tickets never encounter this as in 99% of cases they are just changing to another ticket that also originates in the US. So it's something that you don't hear much of. For example it's no problem to cancel a JFK-LAX flight and rebook a MIA-SFO with any remaining value.

In any event I would call to check on your change fee and also that any new ticket you book with your remaining value must also start in HKG, as only AA will be able to fully verify.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It's not a rule that the new ticket must be the same itinerary, just that the country of origin must remain the same. It's nothing new and has been around for years. Most US based pax that purchase US originating tickets never encounter this as in 99% of cases they are just changing to another ticket that also originates in the US. So it's something that you don't hear much of. For example it's no problem to cancel a JFK-LAX flight and rebook a MIA-SFO with any remaining value.

In any event I would call to check on your change fee and also that any new ticket you book with your remaining value must also start in HKG, as only AA will be able to fully verify.
Thank you. Just for completion, I spoke with AA. The agent said the change fee in our case is $382/person. I asked her specifically if the remaining value of the tickets could be used for ANY ticket, and she said yes. It sounds like I need to call back and ask another agent this question so I won't be surprised. Much appreciate your input.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thank you. Just for completion, I spoke with AA. The agent said the change fee in our case is $382/person. I asked her specifically if the remaining value of the tickets could be used for ANY ticket, and she said yes. It sounds like I need to call back and ask another agent this question so I won't be surprised. Much appreciate your input.
No.

Read or ask to have a copy of the fare rules sent. Do not rely on agents. They lack the authority to vary the fare rules and do not interpret them.

The term "any ticket" could well be understood to be "any ticket from the same country of origin."
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many AA agents aren't even familiar with this type of restriction on a foreign originating ticket. You would only figure it out after selecting new flights when the phone agent would send it to the rate desk for full repricing based on the new fare and change fee, where they would then kick it back and say the new itinerary is invalid etc.

So rather than asking an agent if it can be rebooked from anywhere, which they'll most likely answer with a generic yes without fully understanding the issue, I would ask them what it would cost to change it to something else originating in the US and have them double check with ticketing/rate desk that the change can/cannot be made.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Checking one option ( HKG-MEX ) , the fare rules for lowest business class one way fare state simply that the fare is non refundable and that change fee is HKD3000 (approx $382 )

If you want to make a change, you can, but you have to call and change the date to a specific new date. There is no provision, such as a lot of US based fares have, to effectively cancel the ticket and keep value for later. If you cancel the ticket, other than being able potentially to get taxes refunded, you will have lost the value of ticket completely

You may be able to change to a new route, but my understanding is that AA's policies would require it to be from same originating country

Originally Posted by fare basis INE00TN1
CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
IN THE CASE OF THE DEATH OF THE PASSENGER
/OR A TRAVELING COMPANION/ THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY
BE WAIVED OR THE TICKET REFUNDED.
VISIT AA.COM FOR DETAILS.
----
FOR TRAVEL AGENCY BOOKINGS MADE IN MEXICO / THE
CARIBBEAN / CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - AA WILL
ASSESS A USD 25.00 FEE ON ANY UNTICKETED
RESERVATION NOT CANCELED BEFORE DEPARTURE.
-----
WHEN COMBINING FARES THAT HAVE CANCELLATION FEES
THE HIGHEST CANCELLATION FEE OF EACH CANCELLED
PRICING UNIT APPLIES.
None of the verbiage that many US fares have allowing value to be kept after a cancellation

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Same thing as in the past, if you cancel it you will have whatever value remaining after the change fee to use on another ticket within a year.
only where fare rules permit it - common for US originating fares, not so elsewhere

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 28, 2019 at 3:06 pm
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm actually in the same boat as the OP right now. I was thinking about waiting until the last minute to cancel to see if any delays would allow a full refund. I'm on the fare basis INE00TN1. My rules state the following, maybe someone can help me interpret them:PENALTIES CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
IN THE CASE OF THE DEATH OF THE
PASSENGER/OR A TRAVELING COMPANION/
THE SERVICE CHARGE MAY BE WAIVED OR
THE TICKET REFUNDED.
VISIT AA.COM FOR DETAIL
----
FOR TRAVEL AGENCY BOOKINGS MADE IN MEXICO / THE
CARIBBEAN / CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - AA WILL
ASSESS A USD 25.00 FEE ON ANY UNTICKETED
RESERVATION NOT CANCELED BEFORE DEPARTURE.

CHANGES

ANY TIME
CHARGE HKD 3000.
CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
REISSUES / EXCHANGES NOT ALLOWED TO EOU/ERU FARE
TYPES.VOLUNTARY CHANGES IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS
BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
BY THOSE OF AA INTERNATIONAL FARES
CHARGE HKD 3000 FOR REISSUE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL
CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS AND
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON
2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
MUST BE DOMESTIC
3. AA/JL/QF FARES ARE USED
4. AA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
OR -
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY
1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
MUST BE DOMESTIC
2. AA/JL/QF FARES ARE USED
3. AA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
4. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE SUBTRACT RESIDUAL
FROM THE PENALTY THEN ADD-COLLECT/REFUND - REFUND VIA
VOUCHER
ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
BY THOSE OF AA INTERNATIONAL FARES
CHARGE HKD 3000 FOR REISSUE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL
CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS AND
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
MUST BE DOMESTIC
2. AA/JL/QF FARES ARE USED
3. AA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE SUBTRACT RESIDUAL
FROM THE PENALTY THEN ADD-COLLECT/REFUND - REFUND VIA
VOUCHER
ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
ENDORSEMENTS.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The cancellation penalty is straightforward. If you cancel, you will forfeit the amount spent on the ticket

If you want to make a change to the ticket that affects the 1st flight on the itinerary, you will have to pay the change fee of HKD3000 and pay fare difference based on the fare for a new ticket issued that day - if you only want to change later segments, you will pay HKD3000 and any fare difference will be based on the fare on date ticket was originally issued
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
For all the crap AA gets for bad customer service (and it's usually horrendous), I have a very positive story to share!

So I wrote into customer relations and said "Due to the escalating situation in Hong Kong, I'd prefer not to fly through Hong Hong on my upcoming trip to Asia where I was going to fly American to Seoul, South Korea then Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and American from Hong Kong to Cancun. I'm not sure how safe it is to fly through Hong Kong. Protesters keep shutting down the airport. My ticket is a discount business class ticket, but the fare rules stipulate that I can't get any residual value out of the ticket if I cancel it, nor could I change the country of origin to Korea. Could you help me by issuing a waiver for this itinerary?"

They wrote back with this:September 4, 2019

Hello Mr. donotblink:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations.

As a gesture of goodwill, I have put an authorization in your records (redacted) and (redacted) to waive the applicable change fee.

When you're ready to book a trip, call us at 800-433-7300 and refer the Reservations agent to your VCR remarks. They'll know what to do from there. Be sure to have your ticket number available when you call. It's important to note that tickets are valid for one year from the original date of purchase, if completely unused, and rescheduled travel must commence within one year of the date the original ticket was issued. Also, any fare difference, ticket restrictions and applicable ticketing fees will still apply.

As a reminder, if you haven't already done so, be sure to cancel your reservation before the scheduled travel date by either visiting us online at aa.com, or calling us at 1-800-433-7300.

Mr. donotblink, from all of us at American, we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.Sincerely,

(Redacted)Customer Relations
American Airlines

AA Ref#1-XXXXXXXXXX

Trying to find new dates for my trip, because it looks like I'll still need a trip originating from Hong Kong. I need to travel by January 10th. Any thoughts on good dates to go?
btonkid12345 and Pyrenees like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.