Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Dorian- Labor Day 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm keeping an eye on this for my flight ex-ATL Tuesday afternoon. Well after landfall, of course, but even if the storm dies down, a little wiggle to the north and ATL is under heavy thunderstorms for much of Tuesday.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Obviously it’s still too early too understand what the real impact of the storm is going to be, but the Lake Nona area of Orlando is a fairly new area with lots of new home construction and not too many large trees (unless they live in Northlake Park area) so I think they should be pretty safe there.
They live in Laureatte Park. Not worried about trees, but they live on a brand new street where there are a dozen homes under construction, so loose debris would be a bigger worry.

Hurricane Irma on 9/11/17 didnt even make landfall close to Central Florida, and I still spent a couple of long days cleaning up debris.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekozie
At this point, the track has already shifted significantly due to interaction with the windward islands and the storm is far north and east of the original forecast track. The impact of land interaction with Puerto Rico is still a huge, huge question mark. The location and intensity of the high-level steering flows over the Atlantic are also disagreed upon by the different global forecasting models. All along, forecasters have been saying that with this particular storm, any forecast past 48 hours has a very, very low confidence.

tldr; check back for tracks/impacts on Friday, as they'll be far more accurate. It's tough to know right now.
5pm update has Florida in 98% of cone. I don't think ATL will be affected anymore. Looks like it will be a Florida storm until it moves into the gulf. The problem with waiting until Friday is that there will be the usual panic and everyone rushing to the stores and flights out prior to the storm will be sold out quickly. Then all the roadways north will be jammed up. I always preferred to be better safe than sorry.

Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL GM
I am flying out of FLL through ATL tomorrow and supposed to come back through ATL to FLL Sunday night. My hopes are not particularly high that the return is going to work. If the earliest possible arrival time checks out, it may pass by then but more likely, it'll be somewhere between ATL and FLL right when I'm supposed to be flying.

Still early though, the cone is literally the entire length of Florida and much of the GA coast and it has a whole lot of ocean it needs to pass through between now and then. Looking at the pressure east of it though isn't really encouraging. It looks like it wants to push Dorian into a hard left straight through the middle of FL.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:50 pm

I'm flying ATL-SXM on Friday, and while Dorian won't be in either of those places I suspect it'll be inconveniently located over the flight route. Having not flown to the Caribbean in hurricane season before, is that likely to be a problem?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That storm track looks to me like flights will be going around Florida for a while on about Monday.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by glboisvert
I'm flying ATL-SXM on Friday, and while Dorian won't be in either of those places I suspect it'll be inconveniently located over the flight route. Having not flown to the Caribbean in hurricane season before, is that likely to be a problem?
The airline typically files a different flight route in these situations. It may result in a slightly longer travel time, but you should be fine.
glboisvert likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

The governor of Florida has declared a state or emergency. I would assume weather waivers might go out tomorrow if track holds? Delta should be proactive as it's a holiday weekend.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...dma-story.html

“Hurricane Dorian is now expected to be a Cat 3 hurricane as it moves ashore along the east coast of Florida early Monday morning,” Fox 35 meteorologist Glenn Richards said Wednesday evening. “This would be the strongest hurricane to hit Central Florida in over 30 years. Hurricane force sustained winds would be carried across the entire width of the state if the current forecast holds.”
[Quote]
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by glboisvert
I've done ATL-SXM a couple times during hurricane season, with hurricanes in various stages of development in the area, without trouble. The flight path for that route typically hugs the east coast of Florida until about Orlando and then flights direct to SXM. Looking at the route flown yesterday and today, they did the same thing but took a quick detour around the front side of the hurricane.

On Friday, the hurricane will probably be right in the middle of that second leg directly between Orlando and SXM, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just flew the first leg a bit farther down the coast to the MIA area and then flew direct to SXM "under" the storm. Doubt it'll cause you any problems, especially since the ATL-SXM flight today and yesterday both operated on-time with the storm very close to SXM. If anything, you may add 20 minutes of flight time if they need to go especially far south before making the turn SE to SXM.

A lot can change between now and then of course, but you should be fine.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Delta has already been somewhat proactive. My parents are scheduled to fly to FL tomorrow for a Labor Day Weekend Cruise. While the cruise company has been less than proactive, when they called Delta to ask about a weather waiver, while Delta wasn’t offering free cancelations yet, Delta did say they would waive the change fee for their tickets to FL and only collect a fare difference if they changed the date or give them a voucher for the amount of the ticket. As of now they haven’t opted to change or cancel as they’re waiting to see what the word is from the cruise company but at least Delta seems to be working with folks with flights to FL, even if formal waivers haven’t been issued for FL yet.
bsagator likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Most models honing in on Central and South FL:

https://apps.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/...orm_05_ens.gif
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

11pm update has it slowing down. Now won't be over central Florida until 8pm Monday. Previous track had it at 2pm. This puts ATL in the clear for the busy Monday.

Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How about Tuesday at ATL?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by bsagator
I'm connecting from LAX. If Dorian is in central Florida Monday afternoon, tropical storm force winds may be in ATL by then.
This prediction basically says there is a 0% chance (or at least <5% chance) of tropical winds at ATL from now until the morning of Sept 2nd. I don't see how this was remotely alarming. Something to keep an eye on, but no point really until much closer in.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
This prediction basically says there is a 0% chance (or at least <5% chance) of tropical winds at ATL from now until the morning of Sept 2nd. I don't see how this was remotely alarming. Something to keep an eye on, but no point really until much closer in.
Yes, I can read the map. My flight leaves 10 hours after that prediction ended. Storms change speed and direction, and they can grow extremely large. The storm has slowed down by about 6 hours from the previous prediction, and as you can see ATL is now in the probability of TS force winds, even with the significant slow down from my previous post. I guess someone living in Melbourne might not understand the destructive force of such storms, and how wildly they can vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.