Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA follow united and Delta, miles donít expire?

Old Aug 28, 19, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium

united has now joined delta and JetBlue effective immediately in that miles no longer expire regardless of traveler activity.

i have to believe, hope even, that AA will now be forced to follow both united and delta in a similar practice. Question is just how quickly will it take AA to wake up
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
united has now joined delta and JetBlue effective immediately in that miles no longer expire regardless of traveler activity.

i have to believe, hope even, that AA will now be forced to follow both united and delta in a similar practice. Question is just how quickly will it take AA to wake up
Of course they will!

Monkey see, Monkey do!

Ergo: Parker see DL/UA, Parker do DL/UA. QED

IMHO-A "non" "gift" for almost all on this forum. YMMV
chitink likes this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 28, 19 at 8:09 am
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Meh. Don't care if they do. Don't care if they don't.

It is comically easy to keep AA miles alive.
ksucats, Antarius, chitink and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Dougie couldn't care less. He isn't interested in any innovation that actually makes his airline better. He'll copycat all the negative changes at DL/UA but never the positive ones.
skunker and Thysk like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post

Agreed. And, the conventional wisdom (NOT to say the conventional wisdom is correct, but FWIW,) is the non-expiring miles make the miles marginally harder to use as every human that’s ever earned miles has them available vs. the current system. This has been stated internally when the issue comes up.

The close-in fee will be going away soon, same thing in a way— not good for elites trying to use their miles, necessarily.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I would certainly welcome a change towards no expiration on miles. Sure, this is no problem for my account (have a CC plus frequent enough work travel), it is not really a problem for my wife (though, she only travels when with me on vacations), but it starts to become annoying to have to keep a close eye on the kid's account who flies a little infrequently and irregularly. At this point, I don't think she will fly anywhere in 2020 because of a number of reasons, and I don't want to have to put something as menial as "keep kid's AA account active" on my to-do list.

Anyways, I think a move would be very important for the casual flyer. Philosophically, I celebrate any change that makes these programs more useful for the chums in the back of the cabin flying at most once or twice a year for a hard-earned vacation or trip to see friends and relatives. As is, AA showers valuable gifts on people flying on corporate accounts at the direction and expense of their employers, while AA nickles and dimes everyone else. This sort of move wouldn't really change any of that but does at least let some of those 'everyone elses' maybe get something someday if they accumulate enough discretionary travel spending with AA.
LINDEGR and Cledaybuck like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
I would certainly welcome a change towards no expiration on miles. Sure, this is no problem for my account (have a CC plus frequent enough work travel), it is not really a problem for my wife (though, she only travels when with me on vacations), but it starts to become annoying to have to keep a close eye on the kid's account who flies a little infrequently and irregularly. At this point, I don't think she will fly anywhere in 2020 because of a number of reasons, and I don't want to have to put something as menial as "keep kid's AA account active" on my to-do list.

Anyways, I think a move would be very important for the casual flyer. Philosophically, I celebrate any change that makes these programs more useful for the chums in the back of the cabin flying at most once or twice a year for a hard-earned vacation or trip to see friends and relatives. As is, AA showers valuable gifts on people flying on corporate accounts at the direction and expense of their employers, while AA nickles and dimes everyone else. This sort of move wouldn't really change any of that but does at least let some of those 'everyone elses' maybe get something someday if they accumulate enough discretionary travel spending with AA.
What "value gifts" do I get showered with when the company pays for travel, compared to those I get when I travel on my own "dime"?
Personally, I would rather keep the 18 months renewal period that exists.
The vast majority of my travel has been on my own dime.
The benefit difference isn't generally based on who is paying for travel, but how much travel you have done with AA and its partners
Redhead and BWISkyGuy like this.

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 28, 19 at 9:59 am
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post

same.... now they'll copy Delta's redemption rates
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: Free agent
I am sure AA implements this too. Comes conveniently along with the lovely dynamic award pricing.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The entire issue about employer-paid travel is a red herring.

If third parties, e.g. employers, cared about this stuff, they would negotiate miles and elite perks out of corporate contracts as some are now doing with hotel chains. But, they don't generally do so, although a few have moved to BULK fares. The impact on fares is likely so minimal and the positive for employees so great, that the broader business community could care less who gets to board first. Additionally, status benefits such as bag fee waivers, are a direct benefit to the employer which would otherwise have to pick up those fees.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The entire issue about employer-paid travel is a red herring.

If third parties, e.g. employers, cared about this stuff, they would negotiate miles and elite perks out of corporate contracts as some are now doing with hotel chains. But, they don't generally do so, although a few have moved to BULK fares. The impact on fares is likely so minimal and the positive for employees so great, that the broader business community could care less who gets to board first. Additionally, status benefits such as bag fee waivers, are a direct benefit to the employer which would otherwise have to pick up those fees.
It appears my company paid tickets are ineligible for Business Extraa upgrades. My wife was in the same fare class, and the business.aa.com tool showed her ticket as eligible and mine as ineligible for a BXP1 upgrade
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
What "value gifts" do I get showered with when the company pays for travel, compared to those I get when I travel on my own "dime"?
The benefit difference isn't generally based on who is paying for travel, but how much travel you have done with AA and its partners
Value gifts to their Royal Highnesses=Concierge Key?

Travelling on one's own dime, with no concern about "loyalty", is both eye opening vis a vis value, and in turn empowering.

Since my last "on purpose" flight on AA will be on December 1, 2019 (unless one of AA's passenger friendly unions decides to make things even worse), this benefit is of little value to me, or MrsDallas49er (exp), who left in January 2019. 950,000+ DisAAdvantage miles between us. Why collect what you can't use? My kids can travel.

A better benefit would be the systemwide culling (To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example).) of pasture pancakes FA's and GA's based on merit, or lack thereof

to ...

... Wait for it...

ACTUALLY IMPROVE THE aa TRAVEL EXPERIENCE, INSTEAD OF PUTTING LIPSTICK ON A PIG.
DiverDave and MarkOK like this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 28, 19 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It appears my company paid tickets are ineligible for Business Extraa upgrades. My wife was in the same fare class, and the business.aa.com tool showed her ticket as eligible and mine as ineligible for a BXP1 upgrade
Have you confirmed with your employer that it sought to accomplish this or is it perhaps something someone did mindless for perhaps close to zero financial benefit to the company?
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
950,000+ DisAAdvantage miles between us. Why collect what you can't use?

I can think of plenty of ways to use 950,000 AA miles.

The best way to get no value or utilty from your miles is to allow them to sit unused in your account. That's just asking for devaluation.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Umm, this misses my point entirely, and for every generalization there is someone that will say 'not uh, that doesn't apply to me' (well, it isn't always about you). My jab there was just that the system is well suited to awarding people who are stuck flying at the discretion of other people with other people's money -- and not necessarily well suited to rewarding the loyalty of people who spend their own money at their own discretion (unless, I guess, you can afford to throw tens of thousands of dollars a year on personal travel). Getting rid of expiration deadlines allows more people to accumulate enough miles overtime to actually get rewarded if they make decisions to fly with AA. If AA wants to attract the at-large public to pay any premium above LCCs to fly with them, then one of the small things they can do is have a frequent flyer program that doesn't threaten to take away earned miles after an arbitrary time of 'no activity'. I am saying that I celebrate anything that makes the program more useful for more people.

From AA's point of view -- the question is how many people are saying 'why bother' signing up and caring about a loyalty program when they don't think they can commit to flying with that program every so many months? I think this is a LOT of people (me included, up until a few years ago when I started travelling more regularly). When those people want to plan a trip next year, they will more likely book with AA, even if it might cost just a bit more, if they have an AAdvantage account and think they are going to some day earn a free trip from it.
grrizzli likes this.

Search this Thread