FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   BA cancelling AA award ticket legs - Not passed through (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1984793-ba-cancelling-aa-award-ticket-legs-not-passed-through.html)

marquito Aug 27, 19 7:57 pm

BA cancelling AA award ticket legs - Not passed through

Good afternoon community,

I reserved two business class seats for November 2019 for HAM - LHR - SAN through AA back in February, all on BA metal. Paid for seat selection on BA as well.

Now tried to go into the BA booking with my BA record locator, not working. Called AA PPro Line, agent says that BA has cancelled out a lot of award tickets the last week due to the current strike action, even tickets in November.

AA has not cancelled the award ticket yet, so no refunds for the taxes etc. have been made. BA seems to have cancelled their end, but also made no seat selection refunds.

Anyone experience the same situation before? Agent said to wait a few weeks to see if the strike is resolved. Not sure if this will lead to ticket reinstatement??

No AA-metal flights available on the specific date (Nov 3rd) from all German airports .... all BA, which carries the risk of another cancellation according to the agent.

Dave Noble Aug 27, 19 8:03 pm

If BA has cancelled the flight booking, then, under EC261, it is responsible for rebooking you (and is obligated to do so) - have you spoken to BA about this yet?

marquito Aug 27, 19 8:05 pm

Tried, they wouldn't talk to me about it since I'm not a passenger on the reservation, my parents are. She demanded that I got my non-english speaking parents on the phone to give her permission to talk to me. Then she said to call AA and discuss with them. Guess HUACA is the way to go ...

Dave Noble Aug 27, 19 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by marquito (Post 31463976)
Tried, they wouldn't talk to me about it since I'm not a passenger on the reservation, my parents are. She demanded that I got my non-english speaking parents on the phone to give her permission to talk to me. Then she said to call AA and discuss with them. Guess HUACA is the way to go ...

The BA agent was perfectly correct in requiring that the passenger gives permission - calling again will get the same result

If they do not speak English, then perhaps call a BA office in region likely to have those that speak that language and then will be able to grant authority for you to handle the booking

justforfun Aug 27, 19 8:13 pm

Or just be one of your parents.

genotonda Aug 27, 19 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 31463989)
Or just be one of your parents.

This. I mean, c'mon people. Don't overthink this.

marquito Aug 27, 19 8:43 pm

So.... apparently BA cancelled the HAM-LHR segment and just thought they'd ignore EC261 and cancel the whole itinerary instead of putting my parents on a flight earlier that you can still buy on BA.

Pushed me back to AA, saying that they should rebook on a new flight, but at the same time they have eliminated the LHR-SAN business awards on that day.

Craig6z Aug 27, 19 9:15 pm

Some background on the random flight cancellations: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49471720

Dave Noble Aug 27, 19 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by marquito (Post 31464060)
So.... apparently BA cancelled the HAM-LHR segment and just thought they'd ignore EC261 and cancel the whole itinerary instead of putting my parents on a flight earlier that you can still buy on BA.

Pushed me back to AA, saying that they should rebook on a new flight, but at the same time they have eliminated the LHR-SAN business awards on that day.

Just put it in writing that you require that it rebook onto an itinerary at the earliest opportunity as per requirements of EC261

Exec_Plat Aug 27, 19 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by marquito (Post 31464060)

AFAIK, There should not need to be award space for them to rebook you. (Ie BA can override BA award availability)

Dave Noble Aug 28, 19 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 31464374)
AFAIK, There should not need to be award space for them to rebook you. (Ie BA can override BA award availability)[/left]

There doesn't indeed
BA is required to rebook at earliest opportunity
or
rebook at a later time if requested by customer, but then subject to availability

For an earliest opportunity rebooking, just requires there to be space

Andriyko Aug 28, 19 2:09 am

There is no need to call BA or to mention the EU Regulation to an agent who won't know what the passenger is about. BA has a very generous re-booking policy for cancellations. This far out it is the responsibility of the travel agent to rebook the passenger, and since AA is the travel agent all communication should be with AA. BA indeed does not require award availability for re-booking in the event of a cancellation or significant schedule change, which is clearly spelled out in the Customer Guidelines for travel agents. I would call AA again and ask them to contact BA's trade desk or their OW liaison if they're not sure that commercial booking classes can be used to rebook canceled award seats. It should not be an issue to get rebooked. Given the number of seats AA sells on BA, including redemptions, it should be a rare occasion when the agent is not familiar with the policy.

Prospero Aug 28, 19 2:25 am

Were you booked on the BA965 HAM-LHR on 3 November? I can see this flight is not scheduled to operate on that date. I don’t believe it’s a strike related cancellation. For immediate rebooking, you should contact AA as they’ll own the booking. If you are happy to wait, this will get sorted out by AA/BA, who will have your ticket queued for rebooking

marquito Aug 28, 19 3:08 am

AA has gone through the OW liaison and rebooked on the earlier HAM-LHR and got LHR-SAN reinstated....with the minor difference that seat selection on the longhaul that we paid for is not possible anymore until check in...guess I’ll ask BA for a refund for the cancelled seat selection.

Wish they’d send out notifications instead of cancellations in the dark....

Thanks everyone for their help

Dave Noble Aug 28, 19 3:13 am

Have you spoken to BA about seat selection - it may be able to do it if there are seats available ( e.g. bocked seats ) where the selection fee has already been paid

Alternatively there is an online form for reclaiming the fee on the BA website