Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA945/940 DFW-SCL Price (Jan 2020) unusually high!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA945/940 DFW-SCL Price (Jan 2020) unusually high!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Unhappy AA945/940 DFW-SCL Price (Jan 2020) unusually high!

I've been flying DFW-SCL the first two weeks of January since 2007. The least I've paid for business is about $2600 and the most I've paid was $4960 this past January. Currently, for the flights I need (Jan 2/Jan 11), the price is just under $8000!! I'm wondering if the price is perhaps so high because the flight is over 4 months away. Is it possible/probable that the price could come down in the intervening months? Opinions welcome.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FrogProf
I've been flying DFW-SCL the first two weeks of January since 2007. The least I've paid for business is about $2600 and the most I've paid was $4960 this past January. Currently, for the flights I need (Jan 2/Jan 11), the price is just under $8000!! I'm wondering if the price is perhaps so high because the flight is over 4 months away. Is it possible/probable that the price could come down in the intervening months? Opinions welcome.
Of course the price could and probably will come down, January still is 5 months away. Booking anything that far out is usually a recipe for paying more. The only thing I would be mindful of is that many of the discounted business class fares require 60 day advance purchase. So just keep an eye on it.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:46 am

One thing to keep in mind is this route is now run on a 787-8 when flying direct. Only 20 J seats on that plane. I'm not so sure prices will be coming down?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by FrogProf
Unfortunately, I doubt the price will go down at all. I looked at expert flyer and it only shows 3 seats left in business class for the flight on the 2nd. I’m sure the New Year holiday has something to do with it being so crowded already. I know the nonstop is nice but you can save a lot of money by connecting somewhere.
JJeffrey and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Yeah, not looking good... Outbound is showing J3 R2 D0 I0
Even pairing with SEA-DFW or YVR-DFW to control for different origin inventory shows DFW-SCL as very low on inventory.

That doesn’t give much hope!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by hotintx
One thing to keep in mind is this route is now run on a 787-8 when flying direct. Only 20 J seats on that plane. I'm not so sure prices will be coming down?
I keep hoping they’ll take us back up to the 789 on DFW-SCL as my impression is that the J demand is there to support it. With the 788 and only 20 J seats I’m often seeing this route sold out days or even weeks in advance, while SCL-MIA nearly always has J seats available. I’ve several times now had to book via MIA and wait until availability opens on 940/945 to then switch over to going via DFW.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I suspect smuDC-10 is right. The smaller plane just doesn't have enough J seats and I don't dare hope for an eventual upgrade. It looks like I'll be routing through Miami.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

D fares are $5121 roundtrip and there's availability for Jan 6th outbound and Jan 13th or 15th return. Only 1 seat each on 6th and 13th flights (2 seats on the 15th). I'm afraid your desired departure and return dates are simply too close to holiday peak travel demand to be likely to have availability open in D or I buckets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.