Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Connecting Flight Leaves Calendar Day After 1st Flight, What Day Miles Credited?

Connecting Flight Leaves Calendar Day After 1st Flight, What Day Miles Credited?

Old Aug 25, 19, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I am taking an elite challenge which requires X number of miles by September 25. I have a domestic AA ticket where I depart on Sept 25 and then land for a stopover of one hour early in the AM on Sept 26, and then have the second leg of my flight. Since my ticket leg began on September 25, will both legs count towards the elite challenge? Or will the second leg not count since it occurred on Sept 26?
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK View Post
I am taking an elite challenge which requires X number of miles by September 25. I have a domestic AA ticket where I depart on Sept 25 and then land for a stopover of one hour early in the AM on Sept 26, and then have the second leg of my flight. Since my ticket leg began on September 25, will both legs count towards the elite challenge? Or will the second leg not count since it occurred on Sept 26?
More than half my trips are as you describe with the second/later legs on the next calendar day from the first leg. Looking at my Activity history, they always show as posting together on the calendar day of the initial departure, which sounds to be what you want.

The only slight caution I give is that I am traveling on AirPass itineraries, so your mileage could vary...
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The rule is that each leg posts on the date on which it was scheduled to depart so your legs should be split. I am not sure what happens when they have the same flight number since that usually counts as one flight
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin View Post

More than half my trips are as you describe with the second/later legs on the next calendar day from the first leg. Looking at my Activity history, they always show as posting together on the calendar day of the initial departure, which sounds to be what you want.

The only slight caution I give is that I am traveling on AirPass itineraries, so your mileage could vary...
and, I’d add too, if this is important to you, which I assume it is, I wouldn’t trust the random ramblings on some Internet site. I would talk directly to American and get it in writing. Or, otherwise arrange to meet the challenge earlier.
aztimm, jerseytom and CPRich like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:12 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
The rule is that each leg posts on the date on which it was scheduled to depart so your legs should be split. I am not sure what happens when they have the same flight number since that usually counts as one flight
It is correct that the date the flight was scheduled to depart is what matters. If the flight number does not change after the stop, it should be treated as one flight between origin and destination. If the flight number does change, then the second leg will not count towards the challenge. When the flights post to the account could be days or weeks later - the posting date isn't so relevant.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Your post is confusing regarding whether you have a connection (different flight numbers on the same ticket/PNR with less than 4 hours domestic and less than 24 hours international between them) versus a direct flight (the same flight number but a stop, possibly with an aircraft (type) change. For direct flights, you get credit as if it had been a nonstop, with those miles posting according the first scheduled departure time/date.
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Your post is confusing regarding whether you have a connection (different flight numbers on the same ticket/PNR with less than 4 hours domestic and less than 24 hours international between them) versus a direct flight (the same flight number but a stop, possibly with an aircraft (type) change. For direct flights, you get credit as if it had been a nonstop, with those miles posting according the first scheduled departure time/date.
I should have specified that I meant two different flight numbers. It didn't dawn on me that it would be interpreted another way.....but I see that now.

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin View Post
and, I’d add too, if this is important to you, which I assume it is, I wouldn’t trust the random ramblings on some Internet site. I would talk directly to American and get it in writing. Or, otherwise arrange to meet the challenge earlier.
I thought about calling AA, bt thought I'd try here first. As I often find people here more helpful and knowledgable about AA policies than AA customer service reps.

Originally Posted by jridge View Post
It is correct that the date the flight was scheduled to depart is what matters. If the flight number does not change after the stop, it should be treated as one flight between origin and destination. If the flight number does change, then the second leg will not count towards the challenge. When the flights post to the account could be days or weeks later - the posting date isn't so relevant.
Perfect explanation. That's what I figured. Thanks all!
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I should have specified that I meant two different flight numbers. It didn't dawn on me that it would be interpreted another way.....but I see that now.
It catches enough people that it's always worth mentioning. The exception is when the same flight number applies to each direction of a round trip when they are treated as different flights. I assume that the rule applies even if the two legs are on different days.

Search this Thread