Stuck SWU

Old Aug 24, 19, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Stuck SWU

I've been waitlisted for a Coach to Biz upgrade on a TATL flight on an A330 for months. Six hours ago EF sent me an alert and there's a large number of C inventory available. Doing a fake booking on the AA site shows the "Systemwide Upgrade" link and the check mark that upgrade space is available. The upgrade did not clear.

I called AA and get things sorted, but I'm interested in other folks experiences with stuck SWUs. I'd like to know the cause so I can be on the lookout in future. I asked the AA rep and they didn't know...
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:16 am

This sounds normal. Waitlisted upgrades are cleared periodically; it does not happen immediately each time C inventory is released. This is why it's useful to set the alert and call in.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:22 am

But the OP stated he was not waitlisted and the system wide upgrade radio button was available.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
But the OP stated he was not waitlisted and the system wide upgrade radio button was available.
The OP seems to state "I've been waitlisted for a Coach to Biz upgrade on a TATL flight on an A330 for months. " and that a dummy booking had the radio buttons available
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The OP seems to state "I've been waitlisted for a Coach to Biz upgrade on a TATL flight on an A330 for months. " and that a dummy booking had the radio buttons available
Correct. I was waitlisted for a SWU upgrade to J and it did not clear prior to me calling.

About 2 minutes after I called and got upgraded the inventory shown on EF went from J6 C5 to J1 C0. It almost looks like the action the agent took to clear me opened the floodgates and several others got upgraded.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post
It almost looks like the action the agent took to clear me opened the floodgates and several others got upgraded.
Or, a lot of people on this flight had EF alerts and phoned in.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShortDog View Post
My EF alert came in about 7 hours before I called. Odds are very poor that 4 other pax phoned in during the 2 minute period after I called.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ShortDog View Post
Possible, but highly Doubt it. EF, while rampant here, isnt that common among the non-obsessed.

I know several EXPs who dont know what EF even is.
apeortdz likes this.

Search this Thread