Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticketing Expert needed: American Ticket with BA segment cancelled due to strike

Ticketing Expert needed: American Ticket with BA segment cancelled due to strike

Old Aug 23, 19, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG

Hi,

I have a round trip from LAX to CDG. Outbound is AA operated by Air Tahiti Nui. Return is BA, which is on strike the day we are to fly. BA cancelled the flight. Expedia is the agent. I immediately booked a back up flight for the return using miles on LH which I will cancel if I can work something else out. I then called Expedia. They said the entire ticket including the outbound flight is invalid due to the return being cancelled by BA. They called American to find out if they will honor the ticket on the AA flight from London to LAX but for now AA says they don't have a policy about how to deal with this issue. They said they would get back to me in 48 hours but that in the meantime, I don't have a flight to Paris notwithstanding the fact that the Air Tahiti flight has not cancelled.

Ideally they'll accommodate me at the same fare on another flight on the same day (I can't change dates). Alternatively, I'd be fine if they'd refund the BA part of the flight but still honored the Air Tahiti part of the ticket since I have return transport worked out. Of course they can't do that without AA's blessing.

I am not feeling very comfortable waiting 48 hours with our departure a week away. The trip is otherwise paid for, so we need to go. Any insider knowledge of how this kind of issue works or whether there is a way to get AA to work with me directly to solve this problem now?
Old Aug 23, 19, 11:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Well fortunately on the way back, BA is required to rebook you and cover any hotel/F&B expenses you might incur due to EU261 (even if strikes are for some reason considered force majeure, you're still due duty of care + rebooking). I suspect AA has to figure out what their response will be, but I don't think you have to worry about your ticket being invalidated or canceled so long as you do not agree to it being voided. The fact that you can't change your return date at all might make it a bit more difficult at first glance (they're only required to reroute you at the earliest opportunity, which can simply be once the strike ends) though
peter11 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
Well fortunately on the way back, BA is required to rebook you and cover any hotel/F&B expenses you might incur due to EU261 (even if strikes are for some reason considered force majeure, you're still due duty of care + rebooking). I suspect AA has to figure out what their response will be, but I don't think you have to worry about your ticket being invalidated or canceled so long as you do not agree to it being voided. The fact that you can't change your return date at all might make it a bit more difficult at first glance (they're only required to reroute you at the earliest opportunity, which can simply be once the strike ends) though
So, if I don't agree to it being voided and I show up for the Air Tahiti flight you think they'd accept it?

Last edited by peter11; Aug 24, 19 at 9:41 am
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
The outbound is not invalid simply cause of flight cancelled on return. Whoever at Expedia said that doesn't have a clue. HUACA. Sadly Expedia agents are regularly this misinformed. (Its not them being incompetent, just lacking training/having been badly trained)

If you had booked directly with AA then AA could rebook you. As it stands,you can fly out and show up for return. BA then must rebook you. Only issue is if space is available. Thus best to get done before hand. As this is a simple TATL booking, Expedia should move you to another BA or AA flight. It doesn't matter which, they're in a joint venture. Thus revenue/expense wise there's no difference which you fly on TATL. The issue will be getting Expedia to handle the rebooking. If they refuse call AA and ask if they can take over the ticket. There will likely be a fee (on DL it's $50), but then AA is the one handling everything, not Expedia.
Old Aug 24, 19, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
OP can you clarify your routing on the return leg as it's not totally clear to me

If LHR-LAX is on AA then the strike won't affect that flight so the issue is CDG-LHR and that BA flight cancelled?

Would a CDG-USA*-LAX on AA be an alternative you could put to Expedia (who incidently have been sent rebooking guidance by BA which includes reboking on to AA).

* I see from wiki page for CDG that AA flies to JFK.MIA,DFW and PHL so could be plenty of scope to get you home that way

As flyerco says the expedia agent is takling absolute nonsense. A cancelled return does not invalidate an out bound.

Are you sure your LAX -CDG flight is operated ay Air Thati Nui - it's a little off their normal route network! More likely a code share on AA operated metal in which case you'd be checking in with AA
peter11 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
The outbound is not invalid simply cause of flight cancelled on return. Whoever at Expedia said that doesn't have a clue. HUACA. Sadly Expedia agents are regularly this misinformed. (Its not them being incompetent, just lacking training/having been badly trained)

If you had booked directly with AA then AA could rebook you. As it stands,you can fly out and show up for return. BA then must rebook you. Only issue is if space is available. Thus best to get done before hand. As this is a simple TATL booking, Expedia should move you to another BA or AA flight. It doesn't matter which, they're in a joint venture. Thus revenue/expense wise there's no difference which you fly on TATL. The issue will be getting Expedia to handle the rebooking. If they refuse call AA and ask if they can take over the ticket. There will likely be a fee (on DL it's $50), but then AA is the one handling everything, not Expedia.
AA agents are just as poorly trained at the moment as evidenced in the current thread on the topic.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
...Are you sure your LAX -CDG flight is operated ay Air Thati Nui - it's a little off their normal route network! More likely a code share on AA operated metal in which case you'd be checking in with AA
They've been flying it for over a decade I'd say.
ijgordon, wrp96, JJeffrey and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There is A CDG-LAX flight operated by Air Tahiti Nui that continues on to Tahiti (direct flight) after stoping at LAX, although it's not so good in terms of seats, etc. [For award travel to Tahiti, it's much easier to use this one than to get space on the AF flight.]

It would help if the OP were to clarify exactly which BA flight is canceled: LAX-LHR nonstop or some segment that's part of a connection? In fact, perhaps the OP should independently verify with the BA website that the BA flight really is cancelled, as I would expect BA to maintain certain prime longhaul flights such as LAX-LHR during the strike.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
OP can you clarify your routing on the return leg as it's not totally clear to me

If LHR-LAX is on AA then the strike won't affect that flight so the issue is CDG-LHR and that BA flight cancelled?

Would a CDG-USA*-LAX on AA be an alternative you could put to Expedia (who incidently have been sent rebooking guidance by BA which includes reboking on to AA).

* I see from wiki page for CDG that AA flies to JFK.MIA,DFW and PHL so could be plenty of scope to get you home that way

As flyerco says the expedia agent is takling absolute nonsense. A cancelled return does not invalidate an out bound.

Are you sure your LAX -CDG flight is operated ay Air Thati Nui - it's a little off their normal route network! More likely a code share on AA operated metal in which case you'd be checking in with AA
Yes, Air Tahiti Nui metal flies the LAX-CDG route.
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:05 am
Original Poster

HI Everyone...thanks for all the input. The outbound flight is on Air Tahiti metal but is an AA flight number. That flight is LAX to CDG non stop on a pretty new 787. Inbound is BA from CDG to LHR, then non stop from LHR to LAX.

Perhaps I will try calling AA to see if they can take over the reservation because Expedia (I was working with a supervisor last night who seemed clueless). I must fly home on the 9th, which is the tricky part here. But maybe AA will accommodate me on their flight....I think they have LHR to LAX and there must be some way to get to LHR from CDG.

I am glad to hear that it seems there's a consensus that the outbound is not invalid. That makes sense. So worst case, I just fly the outbound, ask for refund on the inbound if they can't accommodate me on the 9th. Then fly my award ticket on LH back to LAX
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Expedia agent is completely incorrect, but as you chose to book through Expedia, you may find it hard to have IRROPS rebooking taken over prior to the day of travel.

However, within a day or two (presume Monday), AA will almost certainly have a rebooking protocol worked out for this specific circumstance, e.g. the strike. All relatively easy because BA-AA is not only a JV but revenue-sharing over the North Atlantic.

In the meantime, I would suggest taking a look at the specific AA reroute you seek. Given the disruption and the fact that other affected passengers booked on AA have likely already been rebooked, you should have multiple alternatives beyond the non-stop, e.g. via JFK.

Rather than having Expedia do the looking, simply call and ask that Expedia rebook you on the specific flights you want. You can do that right now. You may also try AA.

For the benefit of others and not to berate OP, this is yet another example of why booking via third-party vendors is a bad idea. When anything goes wrong, whatever the reason, you face worse treatment than people who booked direct.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are AA operated flights between CDG and the USA. I'd advise OP to avoid LHR during the strike if possible, although if the flight between LHR and LAX is operating, not only does AF have lots of CDG-LHR flights but also there's the Chunnel, even though it would be somewhat less convenient.

When rebooking, pay attention to what terminals various carriers use and don't pick tight connections if there's a choice as it could be difficult to get space on a later flight on a strike day.
peter11 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:10 am
Original Poster

So, I took your advice and called AA. They had a 40 minute hold time so I requested a call back. While I was waiting Expedia called and said the only thing they could offer was BA on a different day. They said AA was not an option. I told them to not do anything with the ticket for now. 15 minutes later AA called and the agent said that they did not yet have a formal policy about how to deal with this and put me on hold. After a moment, she came back and asked which flights I wanted because she just wanted to try to change it and see if it worked. It did work and now flying their A330 to PHL. The flight connects to another A330 (2/5/2 configuration) which is nice on to LAX. Very good agent with a can do attitude.

I do generally book direct with the airlines, but it was impossible to recreate the fare/flights except with expedia at the time. Thanks to all the experts here with the advice AA came through with a good solution.
ashill, wrp96, JDiver and 3 others like this.

Last edited by peter11; Aug 24, 19 at 10:21 am
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I might have spoken too soon. Just logged in to look at the reservation and the status is "on request". I would assume this has something to do with the Air Tahiti portion of the trip notwithstanding that this was confirmed a month ago and seat assignments are visible. So, wonder why now the whole reservation is tagged on request.
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

And we're back to confirmed/ticketed. Thanks again for everyone's input.
MorganB and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread