Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Tix and Switch from BA to AA - fees refund?

Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver

Last month I booked award Ticket using my AA miles from San-Nice in Business Class flying San-DFW on AA then DFW-LHR and LHR-NCE on BA and was charged $1,292.80 in taxes. AA changed my first flight so I only had a 20-minute layover so changed me to an AA flight from DFW-LHR. Should I be able to get some of the taxes/surcharges refunded? Does anyone have any idea what that should be?

The agent that changed the ticket connected me to the refund department. After on hold for 30 minutes the agent in the refund department said all Business Class flights to London have the surcharge when I questioned her she went to ask a supervisor and hung up on me after another 30 minutes on hold. Looking at the award taxes and fee it looks like the Carrier-Imposed Fees are $600 per ticket.
Before I call back tomorrow and spend hours on hold again want to make sure I am correct that I am entitled to a refund?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 23, 2019 at 1:59 am Reason: Merge posts on same issue
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
If you aren't on BA, you arent charged these YQ surcharges. You should get a refund now, there are no such surcharges on AA mileage awards.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Presumably you weren't rebooked into award space, but the agent forced open revenue space. Tricky to argue that you could have cancelled and rebooked to avoid surcharges.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Regardless of how AA switched you from BA to AA, I believe AA owes you a refund on the YQ / carrier imposed surcharge.

There are no additional taxes or surcharges for flights to London. There is a tax, the Air Passenger Duty, chargeable on most flights from the United Kingdom if youre originating there or your connection exceeds 23:59.

Dont let the !*#%! off the hook. Call again until you reach an agent worthy of their title.
enpremiere and bucketlist like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The agent did open revenue space on an AA flight for an award ticket I actually did ask to be switched to the BA SAN-LHR nonstop but the agent said could not do that.

I paid taxes/surcharges of $646.40 for the original ticket.
When I go online to book an AA Business Saver Ticket from SAN-LHR I see taxes of $5.60 per ticket (By the way the only date till the end of the year with an AA Business Saver ticket SAN-LHR is Nov 19)
When I go online to book a Business Ticket from LHR-NCE I see taxes and surcharges of $56.40 per ticket.
I have about a 6-hour layover in LHR.

If I am correct in my math I should be owed a refund of $584.40 per ticket? ($646.40-$5.60-$56.40) OR should I be getting the whole $600 Carrier Imposed Fees back I see on the original ticket?

Does anyone know a direct phone number for the refund department?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I have always received a refund on "YQ" fees when moving from BA stock to AA stock in the event of re-ticketing. I believe it is done semi-automatically, in that the system flags the ticket for manual intervention, and then the refund is issued.

I would recommend waiting a few weeks before reaching out to AA refunds.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I have always received a refund on "YQ" fees when moving from BA stock to AA stock in the event of re-ticketing. I believe it is done semi-automatically, in that the system flags the ticket for manual intervention, and then the refund is issued.

I would recommend waiting a few weeks before reaching out to AA refunds.
It's not needed to wait a few weeks and AA refunds doesn't need to be involved. The YQ refund request can be initiated in the same or subsequent call since depending on how the exchange is processed (regardless of IRROPS or advanced schedule change), the refund may not be automatic unless requested (and typically following a help desk call it will be issued back to the original form of payment).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by holocker
The agent did open revenue space on an AA flight for an award ticket I actually did ask to be switched to the BA SAN-LHR nonstop but the agent said could not do that.

I paid taxes/surcharges of $646.40 for the original ticket.
When I go online to book an AA Business Saver Ticket from SAN-LHR I see taxes of $5.60 per ticket (By the way the only date till the end of the year with an AA Business Saver ticket SAN-LHR is Nov 19)
When I go online to book a Business Ticket from LHR-NCE I see taxes and surcharges of $56.40 per ticket.
I have about a 6-hour layover in LHR.

If I am correct in my math I should be owed a refund of $584.40 per ticket? ($646.40-$5.60-$56.40) OR should I be getting the whole $600 Carrier Imposed Fees back I see on the original ticket?

Does anyone know a direct phone number for the refund department?
Just call reservations and they'll get a recalculation of the fees and initiate the refund process.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.