Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Original Routing Credit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:16 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Denied Original Routing Credit

Deleted

Last edited by aisleorwindow; Aug 21, 2019 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
File a request with aadvantage Customer Service online.

Edit - re reading, I dont know if ORC applies if you booked another flight. If they had put you on AS, then yes.

Last edited by Antarius; Aug 21, 2019 at 2:31 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CK
I've had AA Cust Service be downright unresponsive or cheap over the past few months as well, and I'm a longtime EXP and sometimes CK. Perhaps this is a trend...

But that said, I'm unclear why they would ever give ORC when you got a refund and didn't fly on them. I've always asked/gotten ORC in the past when I'm rerouted but still fly on AA...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
What I don't understand is, why? I have had this EXACT same scenario AT LEAST 10 times in recent years and each time I've gotten refunded and given ORC when requested. In fact, I usually get a phone call apologizing and telling me that it's no problem. Heck, this is my third AA cancellation this year already.
Did I just get super unlucky, or is AA really hellbent on creating the most customer-unfriendly airline on the planet?
Anyone else with similar/different experiences?
I though someone (maybe it was JonNYC) posted some time ago that there were limits to how many times one or the circumstances where one could get ORC. In this case, it was force de majure, so how is that customer unfriendly?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maat777
But that said, I'm unclear why they would ever give ORC when you got a refund and didn't fly on them. I've always asked/gotten ORC in the past when I'm rerouted but still fly on AA...
This. Why should AA give you credit for a route you didn't fly, and didn't pay for? I have asked for ORC when I had to get a more direct routing due to delays, but I would never ask for ORC if I didn't fly the route at all.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As I understand ORC is given when one takes a reroute or a flight on another carrier provided for by AA. In this case the OP cancelled his ticket with AA and bought one on AS instead. If AA had re-routed the OP on AS then yes he could ask for ORC. In this case it appears AA would be right to deny him ORC.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:45 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by aisleorwindow; Aug 21, 2019 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
What I don't understand is, why? I have had this EXACT same scenario AT LEAST 10 times in recent years and each time I've gotten refunded and given ORC when requested. In fact, I usually get a phone call apologizing and telling me that it's no problem. Heck, this is my third AA cancellation this year already.
AA has given you ORC at least ten times when weather forced a flight cancellation, you received a refund, and you then chose to fly on another carrier? If true, that makes no sense to me at all.
Mwenenzi, deeruck and AA100k like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I knew I was going to get some responses like this.

The answer is, because they inconvenienced me greatly. I should've added that they would NOT put me on the Alaska flight. I paid for it, and it was considerably more expensive than my original ticket. Had I not done so, I would have had to spend the night in Chicago (I was booked on the last flight out) and missed my meeting the next day.
Secondly, giving me EQMs (not RDMs) costs AA exactly NOTHING. In fact, it cost AA more to say no (by wasting the agent's time to personally call and deny my request), rather than just adding the miles to my account and being done with it.

Like I said, have done this many times in the past. I thought it was standard procedure if requested. Was checking to see if something had changed.
Pretty incredible to me that folks can't see how this is customer unfriendly.
What if you didnt fly? How does AA know that you went?

I can easily see ways to game the system by booking refundable tickets the day of a bad storm. Get a delay, cancel, request ORC. Not saying you are doing this, but I do see why they may not want to hand out ORC for a flight that was canceled.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I don't believe you're entitled to ORC in this case. You refunded your AA ticket and bought a ticket on another carrier. You'd be entitled to ORC if AA had re-routed you, but you chose another method.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by joe_miami
AA has given you ORC at least ten times when weather forced a flight cancellation, you received a refund, and you then chose to fly on another carrier? If true, that makes no sense to me at all.
A few things. Weather happens, get over it. Everybody gets inconvenienced by it-missed meetings, job interviews, wedding, funerals. Second, unless you are a top tier flyer AA is not going to put you on another carrier. And neither would other carriers. Third, you had the choice of being rebooked on a later flight or cancelling for a full refund and doing whatever. Buying a ticket on another carrier, cancelling the trip. Since you didn't pay to fly on AA why would you expect to get mileage credit, particularly towards elite status? If I go the airport and look at the AA planes take off should I get some kind of mileage credit?
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:59 pm

I also would like some EQMs and EQDs for a flight I am not paying for or flying. Where do I get these?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Was scheduled to fly ORD-West Coast on Sunday night. After the Thunderstorms in the morning, ORD was a mess for the rest of the day. My flight was delayed 2.5 hours and then ultimately canceled. I was auto-booked to 2:49pm departure the next day and went from upgraded F to economy. Instead, I booked a last minute Alaska Airlines ticket on Sunday night to get me out as I had a meeting in SF first thing on Monday morning.
I called and got a refund, and also sent in an email to request original routing credit.
Today I get a phone call from someone at AA telling me she won't give me the ORC because I got a refund for my ticket
She offered me 2K RDMs (yes, TWO measly thousand). I told her I was not interested in that (I have ~500K already) and I just wanted the EQMs for status - nothing more. She refused, saying "you didn't actually fly with us." To which I replied "I wanted to, but you guys canceled the flight!" <facepalm>

Anyways, the conversation went nowhere. And it was just another datapoint that I've made an excellent decision by moving all of my flying to Alaska where possible (I fly mostly ORD-West Coast) - 8 flights in the last 2 months. With another AS roundtrip booked next week.

Did I just get super unlucky, or is AA really hellbent on creating the most customer-unfriendly airline on the planet?
Anyone else with similar/different experiences?
I'd say quite the opposite - You've gotten extremely lucky to get ORC for a flight you didn't take at all and gotten DOUBLE qualifying miles (once for your not-flown AA flight and once for your replacement booking) ten times!
jerseytom likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist

The answer is, because they inconvenienced me greatly.
The weather inconvenienced you, not American Airlines.
nancypants and jerseytom like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:07 pm

The answer is, because they inconvenienced me greatly.
The weather was the problem. I guarantee you that no one on operations woke up that morning and said how can we best through one of our hubs in a blender.

I should've added that they would NOT put me on the Alaska flight. I paid for it, and it was considerably more expensive than my original ticket. Had I not done so, I would have had to spend the night in Chicago (I was booked on the last flight out) and missed my meeting the next day.
Secondly, giving me EQMs (not RDMs) costs AA exactly NOTHING. In fact, it cost AA more to say no (by wasting the agent's time to personally call and deny my request), rather than just adding the miles to my account and being done with it.

Like I said, have done this many times in the past. I thought it was standard procedure if requested. Was checking to see if something had changed.
Pretty incredible to me that folks can't see how this is customer unfriendly.
Again, its weather. MX is a different story. Your expectations aren't inline. You got something that I would never even think to ask for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.