EQD calculation on BA: AA CS made an error?

Old Aug 20, 19, 3:43 pm
hmv
Original Poster

EQD calculation on BA: AA CS made an error?

Hi

I just got off the phone with AAdvantage customer service regarding a potential Platinum challenge calculation and after I hung up, I started doubting whether or not he made his calculation correctly.

For my upcoming BA flight LHR-HKG in O class he said the miles flown were 5,994 miles. After that, he took 25% from it (base miles) and after that applied the EQD factor of 5% over it, resulting in a minor 75 EQD instead of 300 (which I assumed).

Could someone here confirm how to calculate it correctly?
Old Aug 20, 19, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
O class on BA earns EQD @ 5% of miles flown so $300 EQDs for that flight. you earn base miles (RDMs) @ 25% so that would earn 1498 RDMs. IOW, yes you are correct that the agent got it wrong
Old Aug 20, 19, 4:16 pm
hmv
Original Poster

And this also applies in case of the platinum challenge right? Just called back and this agent says they calculate EQD on spend..even for BA..
Old Aug 20, 19, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hmv View Post
And this also applies in case of the platinum challenge right? Just called back and this agent says they calculate EQD on spend..even for BA..
Doesn't make a difference. If this is a flight that has not been flown yet, just wait for miles to credit and the EQDs will be based on 5% of flown miles
Old Aug 20, 19, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by hmv View Post
Just called back and this agent says they calculate EQD on spend..even for BA..
This would be true if the ticket was purchased as an AA ticket. (ticket numbers starting with 001) Assuming it was booked as a BA ticket this agent was wrong.
Old Aug 20, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
This would be true if the ticket was purchased as an AA ticket. (ticket numbers starting with 001) Assuming it was booked as a BA ticket this agent was wrong.
When crediting to AA it doesn't matter who tickets the flight, only the flight number you book.
Old Aug 20, 19, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
When crediting to AA it doesn't matter who tickets the flight, only the flight number you book.
Is this true for a status challenge too?
Old Aug 20, 19, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is this true for a status challenge too?
EQD earnings do not vary based on challenges - the only issue is whether the carrier is one whose earnings are eligible for credit towards a challenge

Search this Thread