Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Policy About Cabin Suit / Garment Bag

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:56 pm

I bought this for a wedding where I was going HBO. It's the same size as a roller and fits a couple of suits plus a pair of shoes:

Travelpro Luggage Maxlite 5 22"... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKKDNDQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Mentioning to cabin crew that it's for a wedding when you ask to hang it up front will increase your chances a bit.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:48 pm

Summer you have a pretty high chance as long as there is a closet. Limited to no first class coats and minimal suit jackets so don’t count on it but probably yes.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA100k
Garment bags - can’t remember the last time I saw one of these on a flight - maybe 1986! Talk about a flash from the past! Anyone still use them?
yes, I have a Tumi garment bag. I fly a lot of small RJ’s and my garment bag fits in the overhead. I don’t have to wait for valet checked bags to be brought around. I have made many connections because I don’t have to wait.

Uzzar likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Nice

Boarded A321 DFW-LAX group 5 had my suitcase and suit garment bag the flight attendant said I could hang it right in the closet as I entered but don’t forget it. That was nice of her to do that and appreciated it.
deeruck, TWA884 and E55 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AA100k
Garment bags - can’t remember the last time I saw one of these on a flight - maybe 1986! Talk about a flash from the past! Anyone still use them?

Yes I see them every week

They are on wheels now.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Traveling with garment bag on AA

I will be flying, in J/F, on AA 789 + 757 aircraft. Will there be a closet in the F/J cabin and will the FAs be able to store a garment bag in there?

And at TSA, hopefully having a garment bag (on top of two normal carry on bags: roller + backpack), won't be an issue..

I never had to travel like this before (and don't fly much on AA), hence the question. Appreciate any insight/advice.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Almost certainly they will offer to hang your coat up when you board.

TSA shouldn't be giving you any grief about the number of items you have (not their responsibility), and if they do just tell them you'll pack it in a suitcase before you board.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I believe both of those aircraft do in fact have closets. However, whether or not you’ll be able to put your garment bag in them is up to the F/A. It might work in your favor if you are in the F/J cabin.

You might have to check one of your bags if you have three carry ons. TSA probably won’t care. A gate agent is more inclined to care.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold
The gate agents will be the issue here. Last night was on a three class from JFK to LAX, gate agent forced an obviously not used to flying F passenger to stuff her purse into one of her other bags as she had three pieces. If they are enforcing, they will not care what cabin you are in and may force you to check one of the bags if you can't fit them down to two pieces. The gate agents have been doing this frequently for about the past six months in my experience.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Aislegirl
The gate agents will be the issue here. Last night was on a three class from JFK to LAX, gate agent forced an obviously not used to flying F passenger to stuff her purse into one of her other bags as she had three pieces. If they are enforcing, they will not care what cabin you are in and may force you to check one of the bags if you can't fit them down to two pieces. The gate agents have been doing this frequently for about the past six months in my experience.
Agreed, it will probably come down to the gate agent. For another few data points, I have traveled with a garment bag as a separate piece about 5 times (as a third carryon item) and twice been asked to check my rollaboard or pack the garment bag away. One time I packed it away and pulled out just as soon as I boarded, and even flying in Y (had been bumped due to a cancellation) the F/A offered to hang it up for me. Every other time I've flown J/F and had a garment bag the F/A has asked if I want to hang it, but maybe I'm just lucky.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Almost certainly they will offer to hang your coat up when you board.

TSA shouldn't be giving you any grief about the number of items you have (not their responsibility), and if they do just tell them you'll pack it in a suitcase before you board.
Originally Posted by freeagent
I believe both of those aircraft do in fact have closets. However, whether or not you’ll be able to put your garment bag in them is up to the F/A. It might work in your favor if you are in the F/J cabin.

You might have to check one of your bags if you have three carry ons. TSA probably won’t care. A gate agent is more inclined to care.
Thanks!

TSA I think will be fine (esp. here at HNL where it's always very fast and efficient). If anything I can say I'll wear it on the plane.

If 789 and 757 still have closets in front of the F cabin, then it should be fine. The aa.com seat map doesn't show any closets and seatguru only shows it on 757 but not on 789, and I know AA has been shrinking its planes interior usable spaces (but not, I think, 789s and 757s yet), so I was just thinking is there even a closet on those two aircraft. I guess on the 789 if no closet should be enough space to fold and put it overhead also..
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Aislegirl
Good to know, thanks. I'll be prepared to have my roller bag checked then at the gate (which just makes it then so much harder to have to carry the backpack and garment bag, but if they so insist..). Or just arrive at the gate just as the boarding starts, as I normally do anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
aa.com: Soft-sided garment bags up to 51 inches / 130 cm (length + width + height) can also be taken as your carry-on item. link
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
I will be flying, in J/F, on AA 789 + 757 aircraft. Will there be a closet in the F/J cabin and will the FAs be able to store a garment bag in there?

And at TSA, hopefully having a garment bag (on top of two normal carry on bags: roller + backpack), won't be an issue..

I never had to travel like this before (and don't fly much on AA), hence the question. Appreciate any insight/advice.
Not an issue for TSA, but might be at the gate as that is one I assume the backpack is your underseat item, and the rollier is the overhead bin item.
The garment bag is normally considered as a carryon (overhead bin item)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.