Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Delayed Fight - No Auto-Upgrade Request on new Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Hello Fellow FT Members,

Quick Question:
Currently Platinum Pro status and flight was delayed out of PHX by over two hours so decided to take a later flight. I had assumed as Platinum Pro that I would automatically be added to the upgrade lists for my new later flights. When checking the upgrade list, I noticed I was not on the lists for either flight. I called AA to be added, and while they were able to add me, I was under the assumption that this would have been done automatically. Is that not the case?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Raymond Lattanzio
Hello Fellow FT Members,

Quick Question:
Currently Platinum Pro status and flight was delayed out of PHX by over two hours so decided to take a later flight. I had assumed as Platinum Pro that I would automatically be added to the upgrade lists for my new later flights. When checking the upgrade list, I noticed I was not on the lists for either flight. I called AA to be added, and while they were able to add me, I was under the assumption that this would have been done automatically. Is that not the case?
You are 100% correct. That is not the case.
E55 and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbrower
You are 100% correct. That is not the case.
Thank you for your response! I definitely thought so too. I didn't have any problem once I called, but kind of makes me doubt the whole system that handles this if it didn't happen automatically . My 2nd flight has quite a few open seats in F according to ExpertFlyer so I think I should have a fairly decent chance to get upgraded (fingers crossed). However, had I not proactively checked and called I would have missed out!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Raymond Lattanzio
Thank you for your response! I definitely thought so too. I didn't have any problem once I called, but kind of makes me doubt the whole system that handles this if it didn't happen automatically . My 2nd flight has quite a few open seats in F according to ExpertFlyer so I think I should have a fairly decent chance to get upgraded (fingers crossed). However, had I not proactively checked and called I would have missed out!
Good luck! As Plat, I don't get many upgrades any more. I miss when there were multiple loopholes in the process and I almost always got an upgrade.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What's strange is a few weeks back I was going to miss by connection in BNA due to weather. I called and got put on the later flight to LAX. When I went to retrieve my reservation I noticed that I was confirmed into F although I hadn't requested an upgrade. I inquired at the BNA AC and the staff there said "you're booked into F, no upgrade." Of course I didn't ask questions. And those asking why I was connecting in BNA to LAX, AA offered me $300 to do so and by doing so I was able to sleep in later that day. So a voucher for $300 and then booked into F, not a bad day.
GrumpyYoungMan and deeruck like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
My personal experience is exactly the same as the OP. When taking a later flight due to delays (through the app OR on the phone) i have always been placed back into Y even if teh upgrade was previously confirmed on the original. At least once the phone agent told me i was on the upgrade list for the new flight, but the gate agent did not see me and i was not on the board or in the app.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:54 pm

Just another example of AA's IT prowess.

It's been my experience that phone agents can't put you on the upgrade list for the rebooked flights so you get sent to the gate agents, who frequently have a line of 20 people waiting because it's a broader IRROPS situation.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
My understanding is that for the agent helping you with the change, (re)adding you to the upgrade list is a manual step they have to do once the new flight is confirmed. If you're working with a good experienced agent (phone, lounge, etc.) they'll often remember to do it for you. But I'll always ask them just in case, because it's a step they can easily forget otherwise.

If you're dealing with a particularly surly agent, especially if handling this at a busy gate shortly before boarding, they'll sometimes say "you have no chance, there are already xx people on the list" as if they can't be bothered to click a few extra buttons. When I insist, as an EXP, I usually end up #1-3 on the list, and often clear moments later. You're always entitled to be added to the list, even if the agent claims there would be no point. If you have lounge access, try to handle it there instead of the gate whenever possible.

On rare occasions, and usually only in the worst IRROPS, I do sometimes get rebooked straight into F if my upgrade on the original flight had already cleared. At this point, I just go by myself a lottery ticket and call it a day.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
As a counterpoint, I have had situations where I was seemingly put on the upgrade list for the new flight automatically.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:03 pm

When u change flights, an agent has to put u on the upgrade list manually or u have to wait about 5 minutes before issuing the BP to allow all of the backend systems to synchronize up and auto put u on the list. If u issue the BP before all of the systems synch, u won’t show on the list.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Just dealing with this today with TUS-PHX-SLC. TUS-PHX was delayed an hour so I'd miss the connection. My upgrades to first had cleared on both flights. I was automatically booked on the last flight of the day but I was also given a list of options to pick from that included re-booking into first. This is the first time I've seen that option specifically called out. Of course there's still a 50/50 chance I'll get to SLC today.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:43 am

3 hours, that's the magic number in their system. If you're rebooked the agent on the phone can put you on the list, but if the new flight is less than 3 hours away you will not be on the board, you'll have to do that at the airport. If it's outside the 3 hour window then everything works automatically as it should. Once I learned this, it does seem to be spot on.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Uzzar
My personal experience is exactly the same as the OP. When taking a later flight due to delays (through the app OR on the phone) i have always been placed back into Y even if teh upgrade was previously confirmed on the original. At least once the phone agent told me i was on the upgrade list for the new flight, but the gate agent did not see me and i was not on the board or in the app.
My understanding is that when the "R" bucket started being used for upgrades earlier this summer, that allowed confirmed upgrades to be transferred to new flights when available. I have been able to do this with the app. But obviously there are lots of different scenarios as I believe AA will offer J seats during IRROPS even if not upgraded, and agents have always seemed to have discretion to rebook upgrades as well.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I have had some of the same obstinate behavior by gate agents refusing or at least not wanting to add me to the upgrade queue. I had a funny one the other day. I was taking a 2pm flight and stood in line for standby on an 8am flight that had been delayed for like 4+ hours but was still very likely going to get me in earlier. I did end up making the change, for which I received 5,000 miles for my trouble! I guess it was just broad compensation for passengers and the program didn't opt out on folks that chose to take that flight. Chalk one up for the good guys...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.