Can't be on both the Upgrade and Volunteer lists?

Old Aug 19, 19, 3:24 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Can't be on both the Upgrade and Volunteer lists?

Second time in the last few months that I didn't get upgraded and the flight was oversold. Upon asking to be on the volunteer list, the GA both times said that I cannot be on both the UG and volunteer lists. They are unable to remove me from the UG list, so I'm unable to be a volunteer.

Anyone know of this is correct? Any workaround?
Old Aug 19, 19, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Second time in the last few months that I didn't get upgraded and the flight was oversold. Upon asking to be on the volunteer list, the GA both times said that I cannot be on both the UG and volunteer lists. They are unable to remove me from the UG list, so I'm unable to be a volunteer.

Anyone know of this is correct? Any workaround?
Yes you must be removed from the upgrade list. However, the GA should be able to honor your upgrade if you're not needed. Happened to me last week at PHX. My name disappeared once I volunteered, however, I was not needed. The GA came onboard and upgraded me. Of course you are dependent upon the GA adding you to back to the upgrade list and processing the upgrade. Some GAs might not be willing to do this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:13 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Thanks. This morning, I was far enough down the UG list (#4) with F already full, I requested to be removed from the UG list but was told that "it's automated" and they are unable to remove anyone from the list. I was "free to call" and see if they could do it over the phone, though 🙄.
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Thanks. This morning, I was far enough down the UG list (#4) with F already full, I requested to be removed from the UG list but was told that "it's automated" and they are unable to remove anyone from the list. I was "free to call" and see if they could do it over the phone, though ��.
That's sounds like a bit of nonsense, if true.
An gate agent should have that ability
Zacnlinc and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
That's sounds like a bit of nonsense, if true.
An gate agent should have that ability

There's a work-around (as described above), but this is a system limitation in the same way that you can't be on both the standby and UG lists for the same flight.
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:40 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Plat Plus, WN CP, HH Gold, Marriot Plat
Burned by this a bit today, but actually in the opposite way in that my seat was given to a standby without voucher compensation (initially).
Was #1 on the UG list for CLT-PHL, volunteered for later flight. Checked with agent midway through boarding to confirm volunteers were still needed and was told to wait. Group 9 came and went and my upgrade was confirmed on list then given to next pax. Stepped to the podium following boarding to discuss voucher and agent looked startled and said that volunteers ended up not being needed. Apparently volunteering placed me in some sort of AA IT purgotory in which my seat and upgrade got taken, but I was listed as simply missing the flight. Agent suggested I not volunteer anymore. Any insights as to how this happens?
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by timmy83 View Post
Burned by this a bit today, but actually in the opposite way in that my seat was given to a standby without voucher compensation (initially).
Was #1 on the UG list for CLT-PHL, volunteered for later flight. Checked with agent midway through boarding to confirm volunteers were still needed and was told to wait. Group 9 came and went and my upgrade was confirmed on list then given to next pax. Stepped to the podium following boarding to discuss voucher and agent looked startled and said that volunteers ended up not being needed. Apparently volunteering placed me in some sort of AA IT purgotory in which my seat and upgrade got taken, but I was listed as simply missing the flight. Agent suggested I not volunteer anymore. Any insights as to how this happens?
I hope you still got your voucher, by checking in midway through boarding I'd say you did all you needed to fulfill your end of the bargain.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agent probably offloaded you by mistake. From my understanding it's a long and difficult process to re-instate you onto a flight. It's happened to me before. This was an agent that didn't really know their job. You should have never been offloaded and how a GA can forget they have a volunteer is beyond me. What was the final outcome? Sounds like you did get some kind of compensation and I assume booked on a later flight. The GA should have offloaded the standby and put you on but would have had to explain why he/she didn't get the flight out on time. I think the GA took their frustration out on you by suggesting to not volunteer. Would that agent instead like the drama that goes along with an IVB?
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:38 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Plat Plus, WN CP, HH Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by MathMusic View Post
I hope you still got your voucher, by checking in midway through boarding I'd say you did all you needed to fulfill your end of the bargain.
I did get the voucher. There were several phone calls from the GA to the supervisors to make it happen, but they owned responsibility and got me taken care of.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
The agent probably offloaded you by mistake. From my understanding it's a long and difficult process to re-instate you onto a flight. It's happened to me before. This was an agent that didn't really know their job. You should have never been offloaded and how a GA can forget they have a volunteer is beyond me. What was the final outcome? Sounds like you did get some kind of compensation and I assume booked on a later flight. The GA should have offloaded the standby and put you on but would have had to explain why he/she didn't get the flight out on time. I think the GA took their frustration out on you by suggesting to not volunteer. Would that agent instead like the drama that goes along with an IVB?
Not really sure about the mechanics of all of it. I volunteered fairly early, was still on the upgrade list, then got the upgrade (on the board) which was then passed to the next on the list. The GA running the flight was not particularly organized it seemed as there was a lot of confusion around the time of boarding. I did get a confirmed seat on the next flight and a voucher as promised, though it took a while.
I should clarify that the "don't volunteer" comment didn't come from the agent herself (who very quickly admitted she had made a mistake) but another gate agent who came to assist.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to identify who is a supervisor? I was previously a delta elite - this is my first year flying nearly exclusively on AA - and could easily find the Redcoats who could make things happen. I don't find it so easy with AA.

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 29, 19 at 1:00 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really sure about the mechanics of all of it. I volunteered fairly early, was still on the upgrade list, then got the upgrade (on the board) which was then passed to the next on the list. The GA running the flight was not particularly organized it seemed as there was a lot of confusion around the time of boarding. I did get a confirmed seat on the next flight and a voucher as promised, though it took a while.
I should clarify that the "don't volunteer" comment didn't come from the agent herself (who very quickly admitted she had made a mistake) but another gate agent who came to assist.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to identify who is a supervisor? I was previously a delta elite - this is my first year flying nearly exclusively on AA - and could easily find the Redcoats who could make things happen. I don't find it so easy with AA.
Yes when you volunteer you are removed from the upgrade list. You always want to confirm with the GA that you're upgrade will be re-instated should you not be needed. Some will, some won't and then it's up to you if you want to continue to volunteer. Needless to say your choice might make a difference if you were number one on the list compared to number 6. As far as supervisors, from what I've been told one of the agents is the lead. AA does have roaming supervisors walking around, particularly at hubs. They are always dressed in a suite or a dress (business wear). As far as the remark, most GAs dread IVBs for obvious reasons so why would they ever want to discourage volunteers is beyond me.

Search this Thread