Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HUCA to the rescue on separate ticketing & delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I recently travelled from Tulsa to Johannesburg. To minimize the cost, I divided the trip in half. Ticket 1 went from Tulsa to Miami via DFW. Ticket 2 continued from Miami to Johannesburg via Sao Paulo. Ticket two, sold on LATAM ticket stock, consisted of three segments on LATAM, but one segment, the first, was on AA995. Ticket 2 was issued by Orbitz.

To minimize the risk of misconnecting, I deliberately set up a 6-hour connection time in Miami.

So the flight to DFW was delayed, then the flight to Miami was delayed so much that I would miss AA995 from Miami to Sao Paulo. AA, it happens, runs a nonstop (963) from DFW to Sao Paulo, but the gate agent said although there were seats on it he could not switch me. I should go to MIami, he advised, take a brief vacation there, then continue. He had no idea how LATAM would accommodate such a plan, but he did tell me to try the Admirals Club.

I did so. The angel told me she couldn't help, either because the ticket ex-Miami was issued by LATAM or because it was sold by Orbitz. She said if she changed the ticket she'd lose her job. I then called the EXP line and was told the same thing: can't be done. I then called LATAM but could never get through.

What next? Time for the HUCA rescue. I called and got an agent who couldn't understand all the fuss. She exchanged my existing ticket for the nonstop from DFW to Sao Paulo, and the flights went without hitch. She explained she was only helping me get where my ticket said I should be going. I think I told her I loved her.

So here's the catch: I'd love to write a note to AA complimenting her, but in light of what everybody else told me I'm afraid I might get her in trouble. Have I provided enough info that someone who knows the rules can assure me that I could compliment the agent w/o getting her in trouble? Or should I just keep my mouth shut and be grateful that I found an agent willing to bend or break the rules? (If it turns out that she was perfectly correct in her actions, it begs the question of how everyone else could be so clueless.)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yes, HUCA is the name of the game with AA these days.

It will be no problem to compliment the agent, just leave out the nitty gritty details. Say they were very friendly, aware of your needs, and helped you out during some delayed flights and rebooking, etc. No need to get any more detailed than that.
JDiver, Dad to Rei, 44C and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.