Award Travel, Business Class to JNB

Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:42 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Paying $1802 in carrier surcharges plus $163 in taxes plus 150,000 miles for BA business class seems a lousy value when there are fares listed for LAX-JNB on airlines such as Swiss for $3600. Gets about $1635 saving for 150,000 miles. I would value 150,000 miles a lot higher than that

If it is a choice of using the miles on BA vs buying a ticket, I would take buying a ticket
You can buy LAX-JNB for $3,600 Rt on BA almost any day of the year if you have the Chase BA card and use the AARP discount.

Qatar is usually around $3,800.

I'm sorry, but I agree that using miles to fly BA J with their exorbitant fees is not worth it when J is so cheap from LAX.

F is sometimes available for 5,200 RT with same discounts on BA.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eel1957
Only enough points for Business. Is that a good experience on BA? Not sure if the London - JHB flights are on the A380 though. Thanks for the tip!
BA isn't by most considered to have a great J or F product. What you get in F I'd say is closer to J on most airlines. J service just isnt up to par. Add in carrier surcharges and this is why BA is always available for awards. Heck BA charges for seat assignments in J. Qatar would be the best to get IMO. Qatar will also price as one award, Etihad will require two. Qatar generally has availability when goto book IME. Other option would be Iberia.

PS JHB is Johor Bahru (Malaysian side of Singapore/Malaysia border). Served by OW carrier MH. Point out as I've had an agent accidentally book me there instead of JNB.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by skunker

Qatar is oneworld and has been for several years. Their business class experience makes BA look pedestrian. Etihad is not oneworld but are a partner for AA awards.

Another airport to consider starting from is SAN. With married segment logic it gets different availability than all the LA metro airports. I did SAN-LAX-DOH-CPT last year on QR and doing SAN-LAX-DOH-SEZ next month.
OP: my wife, daughter, and I did our trip of lifetime to South Africa this summer. We flew business class on Qatar (DFW to DOH to JNB). The first leg was on their QSuites and this is hands down the best business class. It is miles ahead of AA or BA First (even in BA's A380). I flew BA first from JNB to LHR for work so got to do a comparison. I (actually SFO777 service) booked the award seats almost a year in advance. Everything revolved around the flights.

Unless it is the absolute last option, I would not do BA.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantag, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Thanks for all the feedback.There are QR award flights available out of LAX on July 14th but not July 13th (a Monday). Only BA flights out of PHX. I asked our tour coordiantor to look at pushing back our accomodation reservations such that we could fly on 7/14. If that works we will fly out of LAX.

We will be travelling for 4 weeks so I will have to go through this again in about a month for the return flight. Hopefully my Barclay AAdvantage Aviator mileage bonus gets posted in time so that I will have the miles for another pair of business class seats on the return.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by eel1957
Thanks for all the feedback.There are QR award flights available out of LAX on July 14th but not July 13th (a Monday). Only BA flights out of PHX. I asked our tour coordiantor to look at pushing back our accomodation reservations such that we could fly on 7/14. If that works we will fly out of LAX.

We will be travelling for 4 weeks so I will have to go through this again in about a month for the return flight. Hopefully my Barclay AAdvantage Aviator mileage bonus gets posted in time so that I will have the miles for another pair of business class seats on the return.
You should book the seats before someone else does. You can always change the dates later if need be, no charge.
JDiver and CPMaverick like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Last month I booked LAX-DOH-JNB, CPT-DOH-LAX in J on QR for next May for $3,200 which I thought was a pretty decent fare. Going round trip CPT was a smidge under $3K and the JNB round trip was $3,400, but the multi city option suited our plans a little better. Will get to try Comair for the internal flight, though on a separate ticket.
355F1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.